Man of Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man of Steel

Picked up my ticket earlier this evening for the 12:01 am showing of Man of Steel at the Ward Theater.

Re: Man of Steel

You better have super powers of tolerance, I heard it's dismal.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

It was around 3am when I got home after watching the 2-D version of the movie and my first order of business was to sleep.

Beside the usual genre mix of action, superhero and scifi, I have to add disaster to the list of genres this movie has since there are scenes of an oil rig fire, a tornado, a school bus falling of a bridge into a river and an alien invasion.

If you never seen the other Superman movies don't worry, this movie is a reboot rather than a sequel or a prequel.

Comment

Saw this movie the 2nd time tonight at the Ward Theater, thanks to a $6 movie ticket, a free value combo and three $1 hot dogs.

Did notice at least a minor plot hole towards the end of the movie and maybe a possible plot point for the sequel.

This point is in the scene where Clark is first inside the Krypton scout ship and finds one pod filled with a skeleton and another pod that is open and empty. Which begs the question what happen to the person in the pod?

Comment

Man of Steel (2013)
          Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, Russell Crowe. Directed by Zak Snyder.

Man of Steel is an origin film and a reboot, and one thing I’ve learned about these movies is that you have to be patient. You’re going to slog though a lot of well-traveled territory, even for the casual viewer who isn’t familiar with the ten million universes in which Superman has existed. The exploding planet, the orphan baby, the adoptive parents, the pretty reporter, the grouchy editor, and the bland superhero: they are all here, and while the map is extremely familiar, the details in the trip are different enough here to keep one at least mildly interested.

Henry Cavill plays the Man of Steel, and he is about what you’d expect. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane play his Earth parents, and they are excellent choices for the Kansan couple, about as down-to-earth while being Hollywood handsome as you can get, really, and when they reveal to a young Clark Kent the secret of his delivery by interplanetary stork, he takes some time to sort things out, a melancholy wanderer among everyday people, living mostly in remote areas and not letting anyone into his life even while he secretly saves the lives of others.

General Zod (Michael Shannon), inadvertently released from Kryptonian captivity, finds his way to earth after discovering that no Kryptonian colonies have survived, determined to establish a new Krypton once he tracks down the carrier of the Kryptonian codex. You know who’s got it.

Enter Lois Lane and Perry White (Amy Adams and Laurence Fishburne), the two most interesting characters in the film. Fishburne has been a bit tiresome in recent years with his quiet gravitas, but I really like the casting here, and hope his role in the forthcoming sequel is enlargened some. As for Amy Adams, who except a comic book fanboy is going to complain about her? She’s wonderful, and all the things Lois should be, ‘though I get the sense that she’s a bit old for Clark.

Cavill, if given a chance to grow into the role, could really be a franchise player. In the sequence between his father’s death and Zod’s arrival, he seems likable and even friendly, and not in the I-don’t-mean-to-be-but-I’m-better-than-you way other Superman actors seem to come across. There’s something of a Jeff-Bridges-as-Starman quality about this Clark that the writers could really dig into if they let Clark and Lois have some decent time together in their downtime.

The effects are kind of ho-hum, and there’s something disturbing and unsettling about the way Superman just floats in mid-air. The flying is okay, but it lacks the feeling of exhilaration you get when Andrew Garfield as Spiderman slings his way through the city. Where Spidey is an X-Games athlete, Superman is more like a missile aimed at a target. In fact, Cavill’s Superman in general is like that missile, which is why that bearded wandering persona Clark adopts is so interesting in contrast.

Although I was underwhelmed by this movie, I liked some of its touches, and I look forward to the sequel in 2016, which is set to feature Ben Affleck as Batman and Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. Cavill, Fishburne, and Adams are already signed on to reprise their roles, and because of the talents of the additional cast, I’ve got to say there’s quite a bit of potential for greatness. Here’s hoping.

6/10 (IMDb rating)
          68/100 (Criticker rating)
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Dismal is probably too strong a word. It's not great. It has good pieces. I'm hoping for a great sequel.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Every actor who's played Superman, ranked from worst to best (yahoo.com)

Christopher Reeve was the best Superman.

Comment

10 Worst Endings That Ruined Otherwise Great Movies (msn.com)

A Superman movie shouldn't be dark.

Comment

Working...
                X