Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Station with the best looking females (or males to women here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Station with the best looking females (or males to women here)

What station has the best looking females in the biz?

I say KHNL News 8. Practically all of their female reporters are under 40, and are still attractive.

(sorry if this violates any rules).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Station with the best looking females (or males to women here)

Originally posted by adri1456
    What station has the best looking females in the biz?

I say KHNL News 8. Practically all of their female reporters are under 40, and are still attractive.

(sorry if this violates any rules).
    Lets see Diane Ako, Stephanie Lum, Sheri Shima, Jody Leong, Lisa Kuboto, that cute sometimes weathergirl/reporter/anchor Joan something, etc. Yeah I agree they win hands down.

Makiki Boy
    Last edited by Kalihiboy; August 30, 2004, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Oh geeeez.... Do we really need this topic? Be careful with your responses on this. Thank you.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oh geeeez.... Do we really need this topic?
        Granted, it ain't Pulitzer material, but when you get right down to it, appearance is not irrelevant in broadcast journalism. Television is a visual, moving medium, and thus core journalism skills and talent is only part of the equation on the boob tube (whereas they might be all you need in print, or behind the camera). Frankly, there's a reason certain people are put on screen, and as the frequent snickering about goofs and bloopers demonstrates, sometimes looks are given too much weight.

Thus, by design, TV news people often develop fans who are just as curious about the news as they are about a pretty face -- male and female. While it wasn't so long ago that my wife asserted that there were more good looking men on our local stations than women, it definitely seems to me the gender balance has shifted as of late (a trend that I imagine is pretty much the industry norm).

As local media snark site TalkStink.com notes, web searches for local female broadcast news personalities drive much of the site's traffic. Emily Chang is a consistent chart topper. Andrea Fujii, Stephanie Lum, Tasha Kobashigawa... Brilliant journalists, all, but I don't think all those Google searches are just from people looking for bylines.

In the search rundown linked above, the only male newscaster to make the Top 10 is Rod Antone. Hmm. I would be curious to know what male newscasters the female viewers (or gay male viewers) favor on pure visual aesthetics...

Anyway, this can be a fun topic, without getting disgusting or, I don't know, spelling "hot" with two Ts and twenty exclamation points. Someone puts thought and care into how these people look... why not recognize them for it?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Someone puts thought and care into how these people look... why not recognize them for it?
          That brings up something I've faintly noticed for the past couple of years: why is it that Trini Kaopuiki's clothes are always so rumpled and wrinkled that it looks like she just got them out of a shopping bag at the Goodwill store?
          (I happened to notice it once long ago when her clothes were nothing but wrinkles, so since then it has jumped out at me each time I see her broadcasts.)
          The situation has improved slightly recently with her new maternity wardrobe, provided by a sponsor, but even those clothes are starting to appear shabby and wrinkled. Could it be that Trini has never heard of a newfangled invention called an "iron"? And why hasn't someone on the staff taken her aside and pointed out the problem?
          I know this is incredibly manini, but.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Okay, change of topic: Who is the best looking female personality on TV? (news, local shows, etc)
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Ah, wardrobe. As relevant as anything else to presentation.

Maternity clothes are never going to win any awards, so hapai broadcasters get a pass. Still, Trini Kaopuiki's stuff is presented by Makana Mother & Baby. I'd hope if there's issues with fitting or wrinkles, the company could also contribute some on-set help. Is another weatherperson locally pregnant, too? I remember seeing a woman in front of the bluescreen recently and wondering, "What will they do when her tummy starts blocking Kona and part of East Hawaii?" I don't recall who it was... might've been Trini Kaopuiki after all.

Paula Akana is the TV person whose wardrobe I notice most, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. A good thing if you're the designer, but a bad thing as far as the news business is concerned -- you don't want the clothes to detract from the anchor, or the news. I guess you could say she takes the most risks as far as brighter colors and patterns, but there have been just as many misses as hits.

Comment

My local news viewing is practically nil these days, so all my choices are dated. But back several years ago, I really liked to watch Diane Ako, Lee Cataluna, Ann Botticelli, and Ramsey Wharton. And Leslie Wilcox still looks great.

Comment

Ah yes thanks for the link....Joann Shin is her name, honorable mention goes to Advertiser reporter Catherine Toth since every now and then I get to see her do the 60 second preview to the paper. I believe she was a former Cherry Blossom Queen.

Makiki Boy

Comment

I hadn't noticed that there was a credit for attire at the end of news programs; is that true? If so, I wonder how the line gets drawn between what's acceptable from an advertiser and what's not.

Sports programming has long had that kind of thing, but news? Hmmm. Is there a camel poking his nose under the tent here?
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                      I hadn't noticed that there was a credit for attire at the end of news programs; is that true? If so, I wonder how the line gets drawn between what's acceptable from an advertiser and what's not.
                      Having a clothing designer or company is nothing new on television. All your Cher or Carol Burnett Shows were always furnished by Bob Mackie, many of your 70's game show hosts had clothes furnished by Botany 500, Johnny Carson had his clothes furnished by someone as well. I believe Dave Letterman credits someone as well. I think for news it is something new especially for local news reporters.

Makiki Boy

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                        I think it's the local companies that provide aloha wear to the newscasters and it's been done for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                          That brings up something I've faintly noticed for the past couple of years: why is it that Trini Kaopuiki's clothes are always so rumpled and wrinkled that it looks like she just got them out of a shopping bag at the Goodwill store?
                          That's some funny stuff, my man. Indeed, Trini did look slightly dishelveled, but she still looked freakin hot. It's as if she looks so clean, so together, yet she's been up all night maybe smoking some crack or drinking and deep inside, she's just a messed up little waif of a girl who needs someone to take care of her....a very sick fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kawika
                            Indeed, Trini did look slightly dishelveled, but she still looked freakin hot.
                            Well, she's very pretty, yes. But in addition to the wrinkled clothes, most of the time her hair looks so greasy that it looks like she used motor oil as a conditioner. It just surprises me that nobody has talked to her about her image.
                            The other thing is that she comes across as not just "not the brightest bulb in the chandelier" but perhaps moreso as being "the dimmest bulb in the chandelier". First she had to deal with Joe Moore and now with Kirk Matthews; they're both extremely bright, but any comments made to Trini simply draw blank stares out of her. You can see the guys comments whistling past right over her head; she's totally incapable of any kind of comebacks, much less anything witty and/or intelligent. It's almost sad to see.
                            She seems like a nice, sweet person. But no matter the pretty face, the vacuousness (vacuosity?) keeps her far from being "freakin hot", in my humble opinion.
                            In other news, has anyone noticed that Kirk's morning co-anchor Tonnya Boyd has just switched to using her new married name of Tonnya Joaquin? She started doing that today, I think.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                              In other news, has anyone noticed that Kirk's morning co-anchor Tonnya Boyd has just switched to using her new married name of Tonnya Joaquin? She started doing that today, I think.
                              They changed it at the start of the week. They had to record a new voice over and needed time to fix the graphics.

What is your problem with Trini? She is a newscaster. They are all vacuous twits in some way. But that is what the industry is all about.
                              Last edited by stapler; September 2, 2004, 01:04 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                              X