This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Smear? Reporting Outside the Mainstream

While the issue ended up front and center in the Honolulu Mayor's Race thread, and while it will probably end up the hot topic at a separately announced upcoming HCMC forum (planned before all the excitement), I thought we could start a new discussion here specific to the Hawaii Reporter coverage of Jennifer Toma Bainum, its real effect on politics, and perhaps most specifically, the mainstream media's reluctance to touch the story.

Did the mainstream media make the wrong call in suppressing the story?

The "story" could have been what Zimmerman was reporting about Jennifer Toma Bainum, or it could have been how that reporting (relevant or not) was having an impact in the election. Instead, neither angle was addressed.

The fact of the matter is, Zimmerman's reporting was the talk of the town. Though its rapid spread might have been politically motivated, I think by most standards it would've been newsworthy. Instead, it was the elephant in the living room no one would talk about. Every single one of our major media outlets were reading, listening, and researching, but seemingly without exception, there was decisive "news judgement" applied in favor of suppressing any mention of the controversy.

So, when everyone interviewed on election night publicly denounced the "smear" campaign, it was fascinating to watch all media outlets have to go back and include "background" about what had been happening. They had to explicitly say, "We knew about this, but decided to leave it alone." I recall KHON's Kirk Fernandez explaining the next day, "We did look into it and did interviews and research, but decided that it did not meet our standards for broadcast."

But the impact of this "underground campaign" was real. So the decision to suppress deserves to be scrutinized.

Biased reporting or "smear"?

The other question that deserves scrutiny is the whether Malia Zimmerman's work constituted a "smear." Believe it or not, I don't think it was.

Her motivation for publishing may be suspect... but I sincerely believe if she found something noteworthy in Hanneman's network she would've reported it too (both were essentially Democrats, after all). What did got out of control, what approached the "smear" level of fervor and scandal, was what people were doing with her work. Though some might disagree, I'd say the report itself was not the "smear." The "smear" was the fast-and-furious e-mails (one I saw included a photo and the text, "she looks like a gold-digger!") that seized upon it... and the way the gossip network works, I don't think Zimmerman or Hanneman's staff had any control over it.

Zimmerman, as I've mentioned elsewhere, works harder than some "real" journalists out there. And while she is biased, she is unapologetically and publicly so. Some would say reporting from such a perspective actually has its place -- rather than trying to read between the lines, the reader knows exactly what's behind the reporting and can filter it accordingly.

Zimmerman is seizing on technology to do work and cover things she feels are ignored or distorted by the mainstream media. There's nothing stopping anyone else from doing the same. And unlike some overtly partisan publishers on the web who are too lazy to do so, Zimmerman often uses actual on-record interviews, public documents, and serious research... something even some working journalists would rather avoid.

In the Jennifer Toma Bainum pieces, much of what Zimmerman worked from was "true" insofar as it's based on public documents. To me, how she interpreted those facts, and her reliance on sources biased against Jennifer Toma Bainum, clearly stem from her partisan leanings, but fall short of a "smear."

We should be able to look at the source and determine for ourselves whether it is credible, and look at the story and determine for ourselves whether it is relevant. The same standard would apply to a story on the front page of the Honolulu Advertiser.

Frankly, to me the "credibility" of the mainstream media might have taken a hit here. Whereas whatever you thought about Zimmerman before, you probably feel the same way after. The net change on her side is simple visibility.

Anyway, in part because of the mainstream media's suppression of this whole mess, I find it odd that the bubbling debate now is whether what Zimmerman did was "true" or ethical... when what should've happened, long before election day, was the public discussion of whether the information was relevant. In my crazy, idealistic fantasy world, voters would easily have been able to say both "that's interesting" and "I ain't voting to choose a first lady."

Of course, I've been known to overestimate the electorate before.

By the way, in one of the latest pieces posted on Hawaii Reporter, it is alleged:
    Bainum’s staff swarmed the chat rooms on local media Web sites and made calls to local mainstream media trying to discredit the Hawaii Reporter story...
    Could someone point me to these local media web sites where such swarming occurred? I feel like I'm missing out on the good stuff!
    Last edited by pzarquon; November 6, 2004, 12:38 PM.

Re: What Smear? Reporting Outside the Mainstream

Ian continues his analysis and today posts some submitted comments from "another experienced media professional":
    The two dailies were derelict in not aggressively looking into the details of the allegations, in the process providing balance lacking in the Zimmerman piece. Zimmerman might not have been fair, but she reported enough telling details to perk my interest.
    Meanwhile, the Star-Bulletin directly addresses the matter with a "To Our Readers" note:
    We concluded that there was no valid, legitimate story to be published. Further, the issue had nothing to do with the mayoral race.
    Ian's correspondent responded:
    One lesson here is that traditional media have been too slow to recognize the influence of electronic media.

Comment

There was an hour long discussion that ran out of time on this last Friday morning on KHVH radio with Sam Slom (subbing for Rick Hamada that day), Malia Zimmerman and Dennis Murasaki on this topic and the HawaiiReporter story.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

While I'm sure it was interesting, it wouldn't have been what you would call a balanced discussion of the case. BK Hale noted that Malia would be speaking at UH-Hilo... does anyone know if it's a panel appearance or just a solo engagement?

Though I've been out of town a few days, it still seems to me that people on both sides are just talking about and around each other, instead of directly engaging each other. I'd really like to see a good conversation on this, as its a pretty likely turning point for Hawaii when it comes to the infamous "blog" and the mainstream press.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          While I'm sure it was interesting, it wouldn't have been what you would call a balanced discussion of the case.
          Maybe not to you, but it allowed Ms. Zimmerman to state her case as to why this was covered at her site and nowhere else. I am not surprised that probably none of the left leaning liberals here listened to this broadcast nor have any comments to make regarding this.

This is one instance where an internet site scooped traditional media and no one wants to admit it. Oh well, Ms. Zimmerman will soldier on. She has gotten a lot of positive emails and phone calls on this from people in similar situations where an elderly loved one was abused.

Duke better keep an eye out for his own life as he ages....
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel, sometimes you're a bit too ready to play the 'you liberals you' card. If you read what I wrote above, I actually agree that the mainstream media - for whatever its reasons - dropped the ball here.

And if you haven't noticed, I'm a long-time advocate of online media, including those wild and crazy blogs, and personal publishing in general. Power of the press in the hands of the people and all that stuff.

Even if the local mainstream media didn't feel the Jennifer Toma Bainum story was worth covering, the tangible impact of its spread on the campaign deserved scrutiny. Instead they got cold feet, and when the returns were in and the Hawaii Reporter story was the only obvious reason for why the race turned in Hanneman's favor, the dailies and local TV stations - in the infamous words of Tom Brokaw - not only had egg on their faces, but an entire omelet.

And I'm not saying a one-sided conversation isn't worthwhile, but I think the real meat of the issue will only come out when a real two-sided analysis can finally take place. Malia has her reasons, and the mainstream press had theirs, but they've got to get past preaching to their own choirs in a media echo chamber and hold their respective judgement under a more independent light.

Comment

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....8-91fe2ecf2647

What if two young, unknown reporters named Woodward and Bernstein hadn't persisted in reporting the story of the Watergate break-in, even when other newspapers were ridiculing them for it?

What if the Honolulu Star-Bulletin had passed on the "Broken Trust" story, after the Honolulu Advertiser was too shy to print it, or had backed down when the trustees and their lawyers provided affidavits and other "proof" that the Broken Trust report was false?

Too many representatives of Hawaii's mainstream media make the smug assumption that they have the right to control the news in the state. That is not just untrue, it is frightening.

In another email message to one of our readers, Bob Jones (who writes for MidWeek,' which is owned by Honolulu Star-Bulletin), said this, "[The] 'documents' [cited by Zimmerman] were just unprotected affidavits by disgruntled family members and their complaints were dismissed by the court ... [My] my thorough reading of ALL the documents -- not just the ones selected by HR -- shows a squabble between local and mainland relations and not a single piece of actionable evidence of improper behavior by Mrs. Bainum that I can see other than some mingling of funds that I would not have done -- but that's with hindsight."

In the Honolulu Star-Bulletin's self-righteous editorials, they have warned readers not to trust media sources like Hawaii Reporter. They congratulate themselves on being the epitome of journalistic integrity and professionalism. Bridgewater and others at Honolulu Star-Bulletin have accused Zimmerman of going to print with "incomplete" and "unfounded" accusations.

But what of the mainstream media response just a month ago, when the Campaign Spending Commission voted 3 to 2 to ask for further investigation of Dalton Tanonaka's 2002 campaign funds?

Three weeks before the election, KITV (a media partner of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin) even aired an interview with Tanonaka's opponent, Neil Abercrombie, who said, "The allegations speak for themselves." Do allegations ever speak for themselves? If they did, no investigation would be needed; however, the mainstream media in which Bridgewater, Jones, and Lind place such trust, wasted no time in publishing a story which they knew would have serious impact on a campaign for U.S. Congress.

This report was based on allegations made by a man who is suing Tanonaka for $40,000 (who also got airtime in the story). Days later, when Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee made similar allegations concerning Tanonaka's 2004 funds, the press was again all over it before Tanonaka even had a chance to provide proof the charges were false, dealing yet more damage to the campaign before the facts could be known.

I don't know if the Murasaki family will ever succeed in getting a full and fair hearing into the estate questions involving Jennifer Toma-Bainum. Nor do I pretend to know what the outcome of such a hearing would be. What I do know is that quite often it's only through the diligence of courageous reporters that such justice ever happens.
              Last edited by BKHale2007; November 9, 2004, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Mel, sometimes you're a bit too ready to play the 'you liberals you' card. If you read what I wrote above, I actually agree that the mainstream media - for whatever its reasons - dropped the ball here.
                I only threw that out because I know that none of the vocal liberals who inhabit the political sections of the board are Rick Hamada listeners. That means none of them heard what Malia had to say.

As for the mainsteam media dropping the ball, I am in full agreement with you on this. They dropped the ball.

BTW, Malia was on a panel discussion about the media's role in elections on October 28 on Bob Rees' Olelo candidates show. She was up with former Governor Cayetano, Chad Blair of HPR, and Ira Rother former head of the Green Party. They covered a myriad of topics and I think at the time the Bainum story had just been published. Anyway, I have that on tape.

And I'm not saying a one-sided conversation isn't worthwhile, but I think the real meat of the issue will only come out when a real two-sided analysis can finally take place.
                Perhaps you and Burt can be part of that conversation at next week's Media Council thingy. It is too bad Ian Lind could not have been there since he wrote several counterpoints to Malia's articles. I read most of those.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I, too, regret that Ian is unable to attend (the date of the luncheon had to be moved). I wouldn't even say he decisively disagreed with Malia's decision to publish, but certainly urged a more level-headed perspective in examining the Murasaki family's case. Obviously, he too knows the potential and pitfalls of online publishing (as he's likely one of the first working journalists to be fired for what wasn't even known yet as a blog). I expect many in the audience will have printouts of his commentary on hand.

What if two young, unknown reporters named Woodward and Bernstein hadn't persisted in reporting the story of the Watergate break-in, even when other newspapers were ridiculing them for it?
                  Yikes. Zimmerman caused a stir, no doubt about it, but comparing a one-sided analysis of a single family's internal strife (that was notable only in that it involved the wife of a municipal candidate, and not the candidate himself) to the Watergate scandal is way too far of a stretch.

Too many representatives of Hawaii's mainstream media make the smug assumption that they have the right to control the news in the state. That is not just untrue, it is frightening.
                  One, "they" don't control the news in the state. Not anymore. Any Tom, Dick, Harry (or Tina, Diana or Hariet) can publish whatever they want, on paper or online to a global audience. On this point Malia's fame is Exhibit Number One.

Two, while reducing things to "they" makes the debate easier, just to be clear I'm not presuming some "mainstream media conspiracy." I have no doubt each individual outlet comes to their own decisions on what to cover and what not to cover... and just came to the same conclusion on the Jennifer Toma Bainum story. You bet your sweet bippy that if one outlet was confident there was something worthy of reporting, they would've fallen all over themselves to be first out of the gate.

Bridgewater and others at Honolulu Star-Bulletin have accused Zimmerman of going to print with "incomplete" and "unfounded" accusations... Do allegations ever speak for themselves? If they did, no investigation would be needed...
                  Reporting on an investigation with banner headlines, and later barely mentioning that it was dismissed (if it was dismissed) on Page A32, is a problem, no doubt about it. You may have a point. But I don't think, as an example, the Tanonaka complaint and the Murasaki court case are good comparisons.

First, in the Tanonaka investigation, the candidate under investigation was given primary and prominent opportunities to respond. I sure as hell heard a lot from Tanonaka when the investigations - which were formally initiated and verifiable - were opened. While, in Bainum's case, it's true that Bainum and his wife refused to respond (judging, as many did, that stuff his wife allegedly did prior to their marriage was irrelevant to his campaign for mayor), there was ample material in the same records Zimmerman cited to represent the opposing viewpoint. Zimmerman just decided not to give those elements much mention. On this, though, I'm ambivalent, because I do think Zimmerman has a declared bias and simply think readers know to adjust their filters accordingly.

Secondly, though, is the plain fact that - despite all the messy and personal details that are available in the Murasaki case - the courts decided that the complaints have no merit. As Ian has repeatedly cautioned, any battle within a family can become so heated and emotional so as to make reason almost impossible... and the only hard fact journalists can depend on is often the court's conclusion. For example, during an assault trial a victim's family can proclaim all they want about the suspect's guilt... but if the suspect is found innocent, to continue to broadcast the allegations after the fact is dicey.

Zimmerman may believe there is new information not considered by the courts that could have affected the outcome, of course. But IMHO much of her reporting was revisiting what was covered and eventually closed in the legal battle, just giving Murasaki's son another opportunity to raise the same objections he did in the case.

Off the top of my head, I think there were two big questions any media outlet had to answer before reporting on the story. One, is it relevant to the mayor's race? I can see how many would say "no," although in this day an age the spouses and relatives of a candidate are more and more often declared fair game. Two, is there anything to the accusation? Although journalists are not judges or law enforcement, they must do their due diligence, and I do think they tried to in this case. Even so, again, a pretty strong case for answering "no." Whereas in a newly-opened investigation like the Tanonaka complaint the answer can only be "maybe" (and the requirement is there to give both sides of the story a fair hearing), the Mainland family's accusations were already settled in court. Legally, there was nothing to the complaint.

In our mainstream newsrooms, I think journalists looked at the answers to the two questions above, and even if they could go as far as 75 percent "maybe" (I sure as hell couldn't), it wasn't enough to go to press.

Mind you, in the above, the "story" is the Murasaki family's renewed accusations against Jennifer Toma Bainum. There I can see the decision not to publish. But the "other story" was that these accusations, unfounded or not, were flying around town, and were having an effect. I think not covering that was a big mistake. Yes, mentioning "accusations" and "rumors" will often only spur more interest in them, but it also gets the conversation out there, allowing time for a more critical reading of the situation.

Comment

Erika Engle sent me a link to an interesting article regarding Journalism vs. Blogs. Hopefully the article is still at this front page link. You have to scroll down.

The concluding statement from the article:

Blogging As Typing, Not Journalism

One of the verdicts rendered by election night 2004 is that, given their lack of expertise, standards and, yes, humility, the chances of the bloggers replacing mainstream journalism are about as good as the parasite replacing the dog it fastens on.
                    The question I guess for this thread is "are the online websites such as HawaiiReporter considered blogs or are they 'news' sites"? Is The Drudge Report just a blog? What about the Slate?

HawaiiThreads is not a blog or is it? HawaiiStories is a blog. What about HawaiiNews.com? My own site Hawaii Radio & Television Guide?

As for my site, I never intended to go into the "news" biz per se. I only started the site to provide lists and links to Hawaii's different media outlets... dial lists... along the way I ended up doing the hasty news thingy and sometimes I do make mistakes or miss entire items completely... not to mention that I usually just use the news bits as links to more complete articles elsewhere.

Isn't this true of HawaiiNews.com?

On the other hand, HawaiiReporter have some semblence of deeper news items, people still call it a blog. How come?

I know some people don't even like the word "blog" which is short for what is it... "web log"... or online diary.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel, I could write a graduate thesis on the issues you're exploring. Suffice it to say, for every answer you'll get ten new questions. The definitions are too new, the phenomenon too embroiled in pop culture, for a simple, accepted explanation.

These days, people call any material presented online in 'blurb' form in reverse chronological order (newest on top) a "blog," short for "weblog." But even "weblog" means different things to different people. Traditionalists see them as "prefilter" link aggregators, not sources of original content. And when it comes to original content, that content can be personal in nature (diary), editorial (political blogs, or "warblogs"), topic focused (i.e. technology blogs or gossip blogs)...

HawaiiThreads.com isn't a blog, no... fortunately a "discussion forum" or message board is a pretty recognizable model. But for lots of other sites, it's as clear as mud.

Is Engadget, a well-read, respected site which covers gadgets, a "blog" or a "news site"? It broadly covers an industry, like a news site, but carries a single person's perspective and often uses the first-person ("I think this is cool") like a "blog."

What about your HRTVG site? Like a "blog," its items are archived in reverse chronological order, each item is brief and tends to link to a more definitive source, and it comes with a singular editorial voice. But it doesn't have commenting and other automated features that you'd get using a CMS (content management system, like WordPress, Movable Type or Expression Engine). Like a news site, meanwhile, it has a focus, a more conventional "front page" (albeit manually built), and a journalistic (not personal) writing style. But it certainly doesn't have the resources of a media enterprise, and covers only what you can and want to cover.

HawaiiNews.com is a strange animal as well. It uses the weblog presentation format and a weblog CMS (blurb-based presentation, commenting, frequent links to other sources), but in all other respects aspires (and generally fails) to be a "conventional media outlet," insofar as I don't focus on one topic, or one political or other specific perspective, but rather stay relatively "generalist" in sporadically posting local news. I have grand plans, of course, for a more robust enterprise (I wish I could find the time and fellow geeks to do full-on open-source journalism). Bloggers would call it a blog, but I hope the average web-wanderer would take it to be a "real" online newspaper.

To that end, I think a website is largely what the publisher presents it as. Hawaii Reporter puts forward a very "news-like" face, with departments, a masthead, ads, even a submit-whatever op-ed channel. On that basis, I'd call it a news site first, but with blog elements (given the specific POV and presentation).

The questions raised in the article Erika sent us don't even worry about the above distinctions, of course. When they say "blogs," they mean basically political blogs - be they personal or semiprofessional - and beyond that, "independent" (i.e. non-mainstream, non-corporate) media like Slate and Salon.

I'm a strong believer in the power and potential of personal publishing, and I agree the practice has a lot of growing up to do. But considering how far things have gone in just the past five years, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the impact on the mainstream media's long-term future.

Comment

Re: Honolulu Community Media Council Forum

Did you read Charles Memminger's coverage of the "smear" in his Honolulu Lite column in today's (11/11) Star-Bulletin? He implies there is a sue job brewing between Bainum and the Hawaii Reporter, which he does not mention by name. He continues to make lite about how people know where real journalism resides, although I think the real journalists should have covered this story as it was happening. They could have at least provided a counterpoint to the reporting in Hawaii Reporter, much like mainstream media's coverage of the Swift Boat Veterans. It now seems all the papers (at least the Star-Bulletin and Midweek) are making mention about the articles in Hawaii Reporter in some context or another. Still it's too little, too late.
                        Check out Bytemarks the blog and Bytemarks the Yahoogroup

Comment

Re: Honolulu Community Media Council Forum

Originally posted by Quark
                          Did you read Charles Memminger's coverage of the "smear" in his Honolulu Lite column in today's (11/11) Star-Bulletin?
                          Memminger is a features columnist. He's not reporting anything - he's presenting his opinion about the situation. All he says is he "wouldn't be surprised" if Duke decides to sue.

Really, who WOULD be surprised?

Personally, I'm more surprised that he didn't ask for a recount.

Originally posted by Quark
                          He continues to make lite about how people know where real journalism resides, although I think the real journalists should have covered this story as it was happening.
                          They did. Before it even showed up on HawaiiReporter.com. Did you read the letter to the readers the Bulletin printed?

The editor said they had "investigated the issue before there were any online postings," and "reviewed court documents and talked at length with several people and agencies involved."

The end result? The paper (and I'm sure there was input from a number of people during the decision-making process) concluded that "there was no valid, legitimate story to be published."

I like the last two paragraphs of Memminger's column.

On the Internet there is some quality reporting, along with shoddy journalism, political drivel and rank silliness. (I, not surprisingly, prefer the rank silliness.)

Eventually, the public will be able to tell the difference between responsible journalism sites and those with specific political bents. The fact that some people mistook the piece on Bainum's wife as straight journalism shows we aren't there yet.
                          As the headline on the column says, "Web writing isn't all journalism."

Comment

Here's a link to the piece in question. I thought it was good, classic Memminger. Of course he continues to "make lite" of the story... his job is to make light of every story! But between funny assides and self-referential jabs, he makes a few points (including the statement that Zimmerman's piece wasn't a "smear," which I agree with).

And his last paragraph, also quoted above, is a zinger that he probably knows cuts both ways.

Maybe the public isn't ready to tell the difference between partisan criticism and objective journalism. But if all we get on a story comes from the partisan side, and a deafening silencefrom "real" journalists, I'd still say the mainstream committed a disservice. They knew what was going on, and they applied their news judgement to stay quiet... but the fact that they are now talking seriously and publicly about something they didn't want to talk about is a pretty good sign they somewhat regret that judgement.

Sometimes, not doing something can be a mistake.

Jon Stewart, among many media critics, has noted that these days, journalists are too scared to do their "real job." I call it the "objective dance." If a bunch of protesters start screaming that the world is flat, the mainstream media today will interview them, and interview scientists, and couch the "debate" with words like "some say" and "there are others who believe." Instead, sometimes journalists need to have the guts to say, "These flat-earth folks are wrong."

Perhaps, perhaps if the Star-Bulletin thought so long and hard about the Jennifer Toma Bainum story, they could have devoted a sidebar in a campaign story to their decision before the election. The fact that they're telling us about all this now is pretty pointless.

Comment

This article by Keith Rollman at HawaiiReporter.com not written by Malia Z. may be of some interest to readers of this topic.

Why Hawaii's Mainstream Media Was M.I.A. on J.T-B

The traditional media in Hawaii has reacted to HawaiiReporter's recent stories with the same predictable "defensive" posturing that the national media afforded the Drudge Report.

They want things the way they were, so HawaiiReporter.com's reporting must be a "smear," and the story "doesn't meet our standards for broadcast.

And the people reacted the same way too. They read it, they thought it was interesting, at least plausible and possibly relevant; and they talked about it. The traditional media and even the affected candidate himself were paralyzed by this turn of events and didn't offer any counter point whatsoever.
                              It should be noted that media consultant Keith Rollman was also working on the Mufi Hannemann campaign.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X