KHCM AM & FM radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHCM AM & FM radio

Having been on Oahu for over fourteen years, I've heard several "country music stations" try to get a foothold, but I think this is the best attempt yet.

Pity it isn't FM-Stereo, but even so, really enjoyable to hear a radio station which is playing *current* music rather than stuff from forty years ago, even if it does surprise me to see how males seem to be dominating country music these days.

Their "top 30" show on Sunday afternoon is especially a pleasure.
    And today's "country music" surely does have a lot in common with the more mellow rock of the 60's.

Re: Khcm-am

I have no listened lately, is that one guy Charlie on still? I enjoyed listening

Comment

I couldn't help but to reply to this being a former Double K Country jock (used to be 102.7). I actually think that Double K was doing really well, and it had a huge base of listeners (not just military and mainlanders that a lot of people thought, but locals). But I think the problem was the station was being run by a consultant out of Nashville who knew nothing about the islands, the people, the paniolo history or the island/country music. I was the MD and begged with him to play local "country" music along with the national music, but most responses were, "Why do we need to play Neon Moon from Kau when we have the original from Brooks and Dunn?" He just didn't get it and I really think the station would've lasted longer if it had localized the country music format.

Comment

Leave KHCM as it is PLEASE. The last time KDEO tried adding local stuff to its format. it ended up Radio Free Hawaii. We got more then enough local music stations here as it is. I would like to see the KHCM call letters on the FM side too but I will take what is offered. Hate to see it end up like KKHN. No fix what not broke.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD
          Leave KHCM as it is PLEASE. The last time KDEO tried adding local stuff to its format. it ended up Radio Free Hawaii. We got more then enough local music stations here as it is. I would like to see the KHCM call letters on the FM side too but I will take what is offered. Hate to see it end up like KKHN. No fix what not broke.
          Hi Big D,

No no, I just meant adding local musicians that perform country music. Dita Holifield, Kau, Melveen Leed, etc. These are all local musicians that perform country songs/music.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina-Lynn
            I just meant adding local musicians that perform country music. Dita Holifield, Kau, Melveen Leed, etc. These are all local musicians that perform country songs/music.
            Add Ernie Cruz SR. to that list...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Oh, Okay Gina. I get nervous when I here the words add or change to KHCM. LOL. I don't want to end up like poor Ivan having to go to the internet for country music. Would be nice to see KHCM on FM someday though. Aloha

Comment

I'd be just as happy if KHCM ignored local recordings, too.

The only exception I can think of is that wonderful "Ten Feet Away" by the Big Island group whose name I can't remember. Cover versions by local artists, I can live without.

(And I wonder why I wasn't allowed to have my original title which was KHCM-AM? All caps titles are kapu?)

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                  The only exception I can think of is that wonderful "Ten Feet Away" by the Big Island group whose name I can't remember.
                  "Love Ten Feet Away" by Kolea.

I like that song too.

Lyrics:

Alone at a bar room table, she was watching me watching her
                  I was singing about an old flame burning
                  She was hanging on to every line
                  I was pouring out my feelings, she was pouring out the wine
                  Through the smoke and the beer, it was perfectly clear
                  That we were touching each other's minds

It was love ten feet away
                  Imagine her in my arms, with that look on her face
                  Lying somewhere in some shadowy place
                  It was love, just ten feet away

I just knew my closing song would do it
                  I knew that I was heaven bound
                  I could tell she was new, but before I was through
                  A stranger walked up and sat down
                  He was trying his best to impress her
                  But she never took her eyes off me
                  When he got up and left, I said to myself
                  "Oh no! What a night this would be."

Comment

What you guys might want to keep in the back of your mind is that KHCM 940 AM and KHNR 650 AM are on the station swap list between Salem Communications and Cox Radio. Cox is going to get these 2 AMs and Salem is getting Cox's KGMZ 107.9 FM. Once this happens there is no guarantee that country music will stay at 940 AM.

Details at this link.

This is pending FCC approval and should be happening in a few weeks or at least by early next year.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                      "Love Ten Feet Away" by Kolea.

I like that song too.

Lyrics:

Alone at a bar room table, she was watching me watching her
                      I was singing about an old flame burning
                      She was hanging on to every line
                      I was pouring out my feelings, she was pouring out the wine
                      Through the smoke and the beer, it was perfectly clear
                      That we were touching each other's minds

I just knew my closing song would do it
                      I knew that I was heaven bound
                      I could tell she was new, but before I was through
                      A stranger walked up and sat down
                      He was trying his best to impress her
                      But she never took her eyes off me
                      When he got up and left, I said to myself
                      "Oh no! What a night this would be."

The problem with this song is that it doesn't qualify as a country western because nobody died, nobody broke up, nobody lost their job, their home, their family, nobody lost their dog and nobody has a broken down Ford on it's last leg with a picture of Beau stuck to the speedometer as it goes whizzing down the dirt road passing some lone gas station with an old houuuunnnnd dawg gazing up from the wooden deck of the deserted service station near some sign post saying El Paso 50-miles.

Yep in order to be a bonifide country western song it's gotta have at least one of those elements or it's just urban.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well Mel Country music lives on. Not one but two stations will have it WOOHOO. I just read Erika's news this morning. Thank you thank you Erika for the good news for us CM fans. Aloha.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD
                          Well Mel Country music lives on. Not one but two stations will have it WOOHOO. I just read Erika's news this morning. Thank you thank you Erika for the good news for us CM fans. Aloha.
                          Link: Erika Engle's Buzz Article - you need to scroll down to get to the 2 radio related items.

So funny that my post got superceded by the news that Salem plans to transfer the country format to 2 stations. That is good news for all country music fans (I like the music myself too, though I tend to lean toward the older classic stuff).

The problem is that KAIM 870's current signal is pretty anemic here in Honolulu. KJPN's signal is adequate though I don't think as strong as KHCM. Perhaps in time Salem can increase the power or coverage of those transmitters, I don't know.

Still with KAIM's signal originating from Molokai, it will give country music a little more coverage to the Maui-Molokai and parts of East Oahu. At one time KAIM used to be a 50,000 watt station but they relinquished that so that the transmission would not bleed into the mainland at night. This topic was covered a while ago at our old message board.

With KAIM and KJPN going to country that will give the State of Hawaii a total of 4 country music stations, which I think may be an all time high. Maui already has Visionary's KDLX 94.3 FM and the Big Island's east side has KKOA 107.7 FM.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Hawaii Country stations unite! Let's bring the "Country Showdown" (A Country talent show) to the State. Need 4 or more stations to create a State level competition. Been involved in 6 contests in the past, so familiar with. Lets talk...this is the Big Island piping in.

Comment

A few years ago, I was at a show on Maui which featured some pretty big Country artists. If it could be done what you sugesting, then artists would embrace it because they see our Islands as new opportunity for them. Hope it happens as you say.

Comment

Working...
                              X