Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisteria, K.C. Drive Inn & Mini Garden Closing!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisteria, K.C. Drive Inn & Mini Garden Closing!

Originally posted by kimo55
    Went into the Wisteria yesterday to get a little video footage of the last day. before the wrecking ball decimates it and another 35 story condo building blocks out more of our view of the mtns and sky...

talked with a few employees:
    Why you guys closing down?

three things:
    The rising cost of doing business in Hawaii.
    The downturn of business. It got too slow to continue.
    Owner wants to retire.
    Well of course its much more expensive to run a business now than it was during the 1970's based on taxes and wages alone. As much as I despise most of American capitalism and its greed, taxes and wages should increase
    because everything around us, in general costs more so you have to in turn raise it.

I can understand the owners want to retire they have had these establishments running in the family for 30-50 years and people simply get burnt out. If I had the money I would love to keep them all in business to carry on traditions as I hate to see all these condos and mainland companies and fast food restaurants being built everywhere. However, alot of your mainland fast food places are owned individually as franchises like your McDonald's, Subway's, etc. So in theory the businesses are employing locals and owned by local people so that is a good thing.

Kenny's Burger House closed and a new McDonalds was built in its place and that place is almost always crowded especially weekday afternoons when school lets out. But I miss playing the videogames at Kenny's and there seems to be less places to sit down and eat at this new McDonald's.

Hopefully Kenny's Restaurant will stick around for years to come, but you never know.

Does anyone know when KC Drive Inn shuts their doors for good? I would like to get a ono ono shake before my chances for it melts away literally.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy

Well of course its much more expensive to run a business now than it was during the 1970's based on taxes and wages alone. As much as I despise most of American capitalism and its greed, taxes and wages should increase because everything around us, in general costs more so you have to in turn raise it.
      well, of course there is MUCH more to it than that. Don't do any more research in this area, because you will probably receive a shock to your fragile system that you may not survive.

KalihiBoy wrote:

mainland fast food places are owned individually as franchises like your McDonald's, Subway's, etc. So in theory the businesses are employing locals and owned by local people so that is a good thing.
      here's a new perspective, apparently not entertained in some corners:
      I believe the world would be a better place if these selfsame employees were busy at a local company rather than the low wage insecure position they have now in a fastfood joint that took the place of a fully local establishment.

The thin perspective and non arguement that mcdonald, walmart, whoever, employs dozens of people has, thru the history of the subject, always fallen flat the moment anyone puts their mind to the full implications of the over run condition of our island by Corporate america.

there are always those that see fastfood joints and large mainland stores supplanting previous local food and general merchandise companies as a good thing. How? The "it creates jobs" saying being parroted by nonthinkers wanting only their nationally advertised name brands, greazy burgers and synthetic shakes don't see there were jobs in place before, for these people. and mainland companies come here and poof; there goes the neighborhood.

Kenny's Burger House closed and a new McDonalds was built in its place and that place is almost always crowded especially weekday afternoons when school lets out.
      yeaaa... sooo... this is a good thing in some eyes? I say nope.
      sad state of affairs; children are being taught to be raised on crrraaap. and it seems to be all o.k.
      not from where I stand.

Just aside from the universally known fact that McD and their ilk provide no worthwhile sustenance good for any body, I am against them in principle; they help the descruction of a landmark building; the Haleiwa theatre.

Does anyone know when KC Drive Inn shuts their doors for good? I would like to get a ono ono shake before my chances for it melts away literally.
      IF.. you were already, on an occasional basis, going in to K.C for their shakes that are supposedly held in favor by you, and not wait until the last minute, maybe places like KC and other local establishments would remain alive. And their employees would remain, well, employed, and to me that's a good thing. Some others, for some reasons beyond my comprehension, see this as a bad thing And some would rather see places like this destroyed and another McDonalds open up there, which I view as a very bad thing, but, for some unfathomless reason, again, others see as a good thing.

One major complaint some of the employees at Wisteria mentioned was, and I am paraphrasing; "once people heard Wysteria was closing, they swarmed in. the bad news created business. where were they before? Where was their allegiance before the news of iminent demise?"

probably at mcdonalds. and that is not a good thing.

Last edited by kimo55; January 1, 2005, 07:33 AM.

Comment

One major complaint some of the employees at Wisteria mentioned was, and I am paraphrasing; "once people heard Wysteria was closing, they swarmed in. the bad news created business. where were they before? Where was their allegiance before the news of iminent demise?"

probably at mcdonalds. and that is not a good thing.
        Yeah, where were they? MacDonalds,Jack-In-The Box,BurgerKing...old timers as well as their younger generation still have the recipes. Hopefully, there will be a new era when the people will want LOCAL KINE KAUKAU again, and we'll see places opening up left and right...ahhh, but that is only a personal thought!
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

well, of course there is MUCH more to it than that. Don't do any more research in this area, because you will probably receive a shock to your fragile system that you may not survive.
          Witty comeback. I'll take your economics degree that you have to heart and like a sponge sink in all the info. As you said I probably need all the help I can get since I dont know anything about economics. But you do, so thanks.
          here's a new perspective, apparently not entertained in some corners: I believe the world would be a better place if these selfsame employees were busy at a local company rather than the low wage insecure position they have now in a fastfood joint that took the place of a fully local establishment.
          I agree with your statements 110%, I'm not sure why we are having a argument then?

The thin perspective and non arguement that mcdonald, walmart, whoever, employs dozens of people has, thru the history of the subject, always fallen flat the moment anyone puts their mind to the full implications of the over run condition of our island by Corporate america.

I have read alot of your posts, but it seems obvious you havent read any of mine because I have been anti-Walmart in all of my posts since I registered here.

there are always those that see fastfood joints and large mainland stores supplanting previous local food and general merchandise companies as a good thing. How? The "it creates jobs" saying being parroted by nonthinkers wanting only their nationally advertised name brands, greazy burgers and synthetic shakes don't see there were jobs in place before, for these people. and mainland companies come here and poof; there goes the neighborhood.
          I hate to say it but alot of the places that closed dont serve the most healthiest items either. But they gave us a more varied menu with more healthier things on the menu I'll give you that.

I still eat at places like Diners in Kalihi, the Fort Street Mall Macy's, Grace's,
          Maple Garden and dozens of other places before I select a typical mainland fast food joint.

yeaaa... sooo... this is a good thing in some eyes? I say nope.
          sad state of affairs; children are being taught to be raised on crrraaap. and it seems to be all o.k. not from where I stand.
          They eat there because its fast and cheap food, convenient and the advertisements are all over the place, not too mention one located just about every 3rd mile it seems on this island. My nephew comes home from school and shows me the McDonalds coupons he received for having good grades and behavior at school from his teachers. Of course none of this justifies or makes it a good thing or right to eat there. I'm just saying its a popular place it seems and sad to think that McDonalds rakes in alot more cash than Kennys Burger House probably ever did.

Just aside from the universally known fact that McD and their ilk provide no worthwhile sustenance good for any body, I am against them in principle; they help the descruction of a landmark building; the Haleiwa theatre.
          I agree its wrong for McDonalds, Walmart, etc. to take over a landmark building like that. I hope the Cinerama can re-open one day instead of the auto parts store it now occupys.

IF.. you were already, on an occasional basis, going in to K.C for their shakes that are supposedly held in favor by you, and not wait until the last minute, maybe places like KC and other local establishments would remain alive. And their employees would remain, well, employed, and to me that's a good thing. Some others, for some reasons beyond my comprehension, see this as a bad thing And some would rather see places like this destroyed and another McDonalds open up there, which I view as a very bad thing, but, for some unfathomless reason, again, others see as a good thing.
          For the record I used to eat there all the time, perhaps too much, so I scaled back, I'm at fault I guess as much as anyone else for not going there as much as I used to since I have more options and such. Blame all of us then for its closing, not just myself.

That happens alot people forget about a regular place they used to frequent and when they find out it is closing they flock in droves for the last time. I think the Cinerama had a spike in ticket sales during its final week or so too.

KalihiBoy

Comment

EH, HAPPY NEW YEARS BROS! It's 2005...GOD BLESS EVERYONE AND THEIR FAMILY, GOD BLESS AMERICA!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'll take your economics degree that you have to heart and like a sink sponge
              huh! You ARE far removed from reality.
              A degree mill or an institute of book learnin' (which is very insulated and separated from the actual world of commerce) has absolutely no connection, influence or relevancy to my stance on this subject. Which is, of course, based on decades of direct experience.

(....a sponge in the sink? What da...)

I have read alot of your posts, but it seems obvious you havent read any of mine because I have been anti-Walmart in all of my posts since I registered here. KalihiBoy
              Hey, what am I, a professional kalihiboy groupie?!

Earn your own fan club.
              Or go buy one.

I don't have the time.

"I read your posts, so you should read mine!"

sheesh!

get over yerself.

They eat there because its fast and cheap food, convenient and the advertisements are all over the place, not too mention one located just about every 3rd mile it seems on this island. My nephew comes home from school and shows me the McDonalds coupons he received for having good grades and behavior at school from his teachers.
              Eh. enuff with the "daily life in a fastfood joint" minutiae. This is starting to resemble yer own reality tv blog!

Comment

For the record I used to eat there all the time, perhaps too much, so I scaled back...

KalihiBoy

hey, Wisteria!
                The reason you guys are closing down, is:
                Your customers ate there TOO MUCH!
                then, they had to scale back!

Comment

huh! You ARE far removed from reality.

(....a sponge in the sink? What da...)

....Sorry, I was saying I'll take your information and like a sponge take it all in.

Hey, what am I, a professional kalihiboy groupie?!
                  Earn your own fan club. Or go buy one.

.....Maybe I should join your fan club.

I don't have the time.

....I'm not the one who has over 750 posts.

"I read your posts, so you should read mine!"

....My point is dont assume that I like all of those mainland companies like Walmart, McDonalds and such, because I dont. And please dont take my words and twist them around acting as if they are my quotes which they are not.

sheesh!

....Bless You!

get over yerself.

....Take your own advice.

Eh. enuff with the "daily life in a fastfood joint" minutiae. This is starting to resemble yer own reality tv blog!
                  ....Did I see you doing standup at Sharkey's awhile back?

KalihiBoy
                  Last edited by Kalihiboy; January 2, 2005, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Did I see you doing standup at Sharkey's awhile back?

KalihiBoy

he can't afford me.

Comment

Working...
                    X