What do you do with Vienna Sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with Vienna Sausage?

(sing it to the tune of the "What do you do with a waffle hot-dog?" commercial)

Come on. I know you eat it, too. So how do you prepare it?

I normally just fry it a little with some shoyu and eat it on rice, but my favorite way to eat it is heated up, sliced up, and dumped on top of cold pork and beans. Yum. Hot Vienna sausage and cold VanCamp's!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: What do you do with Vienna Sausage?

Originally posted by scrivener
    I normally just fry it a little with some shoyu and eat it on rice, but my favorite way to eat it is heated up, sliced up, and dumped on top of cold pork and beans. Yum. Hot Vienna sausage and cold VanCamp's!

wow. just the opposite!
    Hot poke un beenz with vienna sausages tossed rite in from that lil can, sans that clear gel stuff.

or, straight outta the can with crackers just before a workout for quick energy and protein.

Comment

Ugh. They may be a local tradition, but I never liked those little mushy excuses for a sausage. Give me fried spam any day instead.

Comment

Hey, Vienna sausage is certainly no Spam...I'd never claim such blasphemy. However, what Vienna sausage is is four cans for a dollar when it goes on sale.

I'm a teacher. These things mean something.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Feed it to the cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
            Feed it to the cats.
            OOH! Wait till PETA hears about that!
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

"OOH! Wait till PETA hears about that!"

No problem, the cats don't like the things.

Comment

It's been years since I ate Vienna Sausages, prefer hot dogs instead.

But to be on topic, I either have it with pork and beans or as a sandwich meat.

Comment

I've been known to slice them up, add green onions and scramble them with eggs into an omelet. When I was a kid, my mom used to cook them in shoyu with a little sugar, and add it as part of a bento with a musubi and boiled green beans and an omelet made with eggs, shoyu and a little sugar (we used to call it "shoyu eggs")

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

My wife finds them to be among the most repulsive creations ever to grace a pantry shelf, but I grew up with them, and my kids love 'em too.

The way we prepare it is similar to scrivener's, but we more sautee them in a very small pot along with shoyu and a generous dollop of sugar. Let it cook and reduce 'til you have a tasty, thick teriyaki-esque sauce along with the sausages, and serve with quick-boil ramen. Mmm!

Comment

My wife was born and raised on the mainland and she doesn't understand it either. Here's mine: heat pan with a little oil (or whatever is within reach: Pam, margerine, etc), open can, throw everything into the still heating pan... juice and all, beat a couple of eggs. Allow liquid to reduce..haha, dump in eggs and cook til eggs are scrambled well but not overdone. This goes with a couple of digs of rice and ketchup all over. I dunno, for some reason I like to eat this with room temp rice instead of freshly cooked rice.

Comment

heat and serve.with a side of can oil sardines,poi, and maui onions w/hawaiian salt!
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My dad would eat them straight out of the can. My ex (Japanese national) would smash them, mix in mayo and soy sauce, then spread on top of hot rice. I like them as fish bait.

Comment

You can also wrap 'em with croissant roll dough and make "pigs in a blanket", although I prefer to use little Hillshire Farm beef smokies for this.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                              My dad would eat them straight out of the can.
                              Man, how I wen miss dis one? Small kid time, we would make musubi, wrap 'em with nori; den wen we ready to eat, rip off da vienna sausage top and pour da gelatin on top da musubi. Not so much to crumble up da musubi, but juss get da rice wet. Truss me . . . no can beat.

Oh, yeah, one mo ting: no need ume insai da musubi if I eating vienna sausage.

I no can believe all dis heating and cooking you guys doing. Poho da energy.
                              Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Working...
                              X