Do You Skype?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Skype?

I might be among the last few geeks on Earth who hasn't really given Skype a try. A few versions back I played with it (and my cheap, free Dell-provided microphone) and was unimpressed, but in the months since, they've clearly made inroads.

Described as "free Internet telephony that just works," Skype is not the first phone-over-internet program, but today it's definitely among the most popular. Smartly working with both Windows and Macintosh PCs, as well as Linux, Pocket PC devices and soon PalmOS too, it lets you talk to someone in Mongolia as easily as someone down the street. And it's free. Money comes up only if you want to call a regular phone (about two cents per minute for many countries, including the U.S.).

And to solve the cheap hardware problem, they're almost singlehandedly creating a market for things like USB telephones. Plug it into your PC, and it's like any other phone in your house.

The latest version has even added basic Instant Messaging features, and given its wide adoption, makes me wonder if we'll soon have another IM standard to track (alongside AIM, Y!Messenger, ICQ and MSN).

Anyone else using it?

Re: Do You Skype?

I haven't tried Internet telephony for a few years. Wow, things have improved! Last time I checked, you had to use a headset and dial by clicking phone numbers on an on-screen pad -- too much humbug. These USB phone gizmos seem much easier to use. Tempting, tempting.

Comment

Skype has been hard at work forging new alliances with various hardware and OS vendors to make their product open to new markets.

Skype now has versions for running on MacOSx and Linux and today announced an alliance with Motorola to bring Skype-enabled peripheral equipment (headsets and other mobile devices) to the VOIP market.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Any Skype fans still out there? They just announced the release of V1.2.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the update! I'm warming up to Skype, and I know my biggest problem is not having the best hardware. A pity they made voicemail a subscription service. Of course, since it looked like it might be an especially useful feature, you gotta figure they'd need something to make money (since network calls are free).

I wish they'd make swapping voice calls for IM sessions easier. A lot of times, I'm not in a position to chat, but if I could just click a button and start a conversation with typing, that'd be pretty convenient.

Comment

Reviving this old thread... half a year later, anyone else join the Skype fold?

Now that I keep Skype running regularly (I now have a better computer, a decent headset, and slightly less anxiety about voice applications), my problem is not having enough Contacts to talk to!

Comment

I've been keeping it going too, but I've never given it a try. I'm a little bashful. But my account is M.K.Dwyer if you want to initiate me!

Oh, and is there any way to capture the audio?
              Last edited by scrivener; September 20, 2005, 09:13 PM. Reason: "Oh mama I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law . . ."
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

There are definitely various tools to capture the audio, but I don't think it's built in. The only built in recording I know about is the answering machine feature, but that's a paid add-on.

I added you, I think (sans periods). I'm ryanozawa, of course. Whee!

Comment

I have Skype and so far only use it to talk to my friend in Hilo. I guess I should keep mine on all the time.... however it is only set up so far on my laptop and if anyone called me I probably miss the call since the speaker is so teeny tiny that I probably won't hear the "ring".... This is a good thing to have if you have friends who also have Skype... saves on analog long distance calling which I don't do too often to begin with.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Skype is an interesting experiment for me, because (as I mentioned elsewhere), I'm really not a telephone person. Or, in a weird way, much of a people person. That is, in-person or live, synchronous communications. E-mail, IM, message boards, that I thrive upon. Easier to multitask, maybe. Having to drop everything on someone else's terms to converse? I'm not a fan.

So, now I've got a live phone application on my computer. My little asynchronous communications channel is suddenly "live" again. I might be writing or working or whatever, and ring! Just like any old phone.

Yet, I'm thinking, it might be easier to deal with. A compromise, of sorts. Skype is also a basic IM client, as well, so I can fall back to typing. And I think it's somehow easier to tell an online contact that you're busy than an on-the-phone one. The "presence" aspect of online systems -- IM or Skype -- is that toggles like "Busy," "Not Available," "Out to Lunch" are built in and, socially, acceptable.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if the eBay/Skype deal actually goes through and what eBay ends up doing with the technology. The analysts are all scratching their heads over this purchase too, but apparently Meg Whitman seems to see something in it that will enhance the eBay experience.

Miulang

Comment

As long as Skype to Skype internet voice calls and IM remains free the way it is, I have no problem with EBay owning it.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I've been tasked to research Skype for work. We're looking at possibly using it for teleconferences. Currently, we pay MCI a pretty penny (a lot of 'em, actually), to establish a bridge for us, and host our telecons.

Has anyone used Skype for teleconferencing? And if so, how many simultaneous users did you have? Did you experience any problems or latency?

Any information you can share would be most helpful! Mahalo!

Donna

Comment

Hi Donna:
                            How many locations are you talking about conferencing together? Did you want videoconferencing as well as audioconferencing? How large is your company? Do you have your own PBX? Are your rates for your MCI service less than a nickle a minute?

The last company I worked for bought its own conference bridge equipment from Latitude; the ROI on it was less than 6 months, even with the cost of LD. Each department who uses ports gets charged for usage, so that helps pay for the ongoing LD costs. In between the different locations (there are now about 6 locations, I think), they're using IP, and there doesn't seem to be any problems with latency or jitter anymore with the IP technology. Probably also depends on which CODECs you're used to using.

Miulang

Comment

I think the Skype limit is only four users simultaneously, sadly. Also, it is more sensitive to overall network congestion since it traverses the public net, and I've heard from several Skype users in Hawaii that call quality is especially bad for us. (Calls between mainland cities often enjoy of incredible clarity.)

While I love it more and more, I wouldn't deploy it as a serious business tool. Private services with their own networks are more expensive, but you're guaranteed a level of service and have business-focused features.

Comment

Working...
                              X