Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on how to spend NewYear's Eve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions on how to spend NewYear's Eve?

My cousin and I are trying to think of ways to spend New Year's eve that does not involve spending too much money, too much drinking, too much partying, too many people, too much noise, too much money (said that already), and, no, just staying at home is not an option.

We are both "older" single women, so please keep that in mind when you make the suggestions. (Not to imply that we have one foot in the grave, but we ain't 21 anymore!)

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Re: Any suggestions on how to spend NewYear's Eve?

I recall movie theaters tend to have special late showings. If I didn't have kids, I'd probably go that route.

Here's the Honolulu Advertiser's New Year's Eve calendar. I guess this is the Star-Bulletin's calendar, combined with old information from Christmas. (I love the Bulletin, but their posted calendars are often useless.)

Comment

Do you live within walking distance of any casual restaurants that would be open on NYE? You could just stroll over to one with your friends and have a meal early in the dinner hour so you can escape before all the drunken partiers make it in the door...that way you don't have to worry about finding parking since you are walking, you get to go out in celebration for NYE, but you also return safely to your home before the really rowdy crowds/fireworks smoke gets too out of hand...you could always go for a walk after dinner to the beach (if you are near one) or around the neighborhood (being careful for fireworks, of course!), before returning to your house to watch the ball drop on TV, maybe have a drink or two with friends at that point.

That's the first thing I could think of.

G/L, and Happy New Year!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and the links. The movie idea is good. I'm going to check out the movie listing for Wallace Theater.

Comment

It's been a tradition of mine and MAMA. We go to Chinatown! We spend time at several friend's bars then at the stroke of midnight, I get a chair and put it in the corner of Hotel and Nuuanu for MAMA, while I stand to watch the Fireworks bursting in the air from Aloha Towers! All the while everybody wishing us and we wishing them Happy New Year!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Head up Tantalus in the early afternoon with lots of supplies - Sandwhiches, snacks, drinks, etc. Then watch from the Honolulu City Lights Lookout for the fireworks. A couple of years ago my wife and I did that and really enjoyed ourselves. Keep in mind others will go too, but it's fun. Anyway just my suggestion. Happy New Year !
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
              Do you live within walking distance of any casual restaurants that would be open on NYE? You could just stroll over to one with your friends and have a meal early in the dinner hour so you can escape before all the drunken partiers make it in the door...that way you don't have to worry about finding parking since you are walking, you get to go out in celebration for NYE, but you also return safely to your home before the really rowdy crowds/fireworks smoke gets too out of hand...you could always go for a walk after dinner to the beach (if you are near one) or around the neighborhood (being careful for fireworks, of course!), before returning to your house to watch the ball drop on TV, maybe have a drink or two with friends at that point.

That's the first thing I could think of.

G/L, and Happy New Year!
              Thanks for the suggestions. Even though, unfortunately, I don't live near walking distance to any restaurants, going early to avoid the crowd is a good idea.

Comment

I'm not very good at this technical stuff... I wanted to respond to several posts at one time with quotes from all those posts, but don't know how to do it. I only know how to respond with a quote from an individual post, so I end up having to post several times.

Anyway, I like Aunty Lynn's chinatown idea and Menehune Man's Tantalus suggestion. How crowded is Chinatown on New Year's Eve? I like the Tantalus idea because it doesn't involve spending any mulah, and it's away from the smoke. Thank you guys for these suggestions. I didn't realize there were so many options -makes me wish New Year's Eve lasted for more than one day!

Comment

Originally posted by miwa
                  makes me wish New Year's Eve lasted for more than one day!
                  well, it happens almost twice a year!

Comment

Chinatown is not crowded like before. Infact, it's rather nice and mellow. I tend to go bar hopping but that's when I used to be a lush. I hardly drink anymore. Hmmmm....tomarrow maybe an exception. Plus, my voice is still gone from being sick so I can't sing Karaoke. I can still Boogie.

Auntie Lynn

Happy New Year 2006!
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Nope. Bulletin calendar ran as a story in today's edition. I didn't post it to the Holiday Calendar, but I supposed I could. (I have now updated the "Holiday Calendar")

Here's the Bulletin's New Year listings.

Blaine

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      I recall movie theaters tend to have special late showings. If I didn't have kids, I'd probably go that route.

Here's the Honolulu Advertiser's New Year's Eve calendar. I guess this is the Star-Bulletin's calendar, combined with old information from Christmas. (I love the Bulletin, but their posted calendars are often useless.)
                      Last edited by zztype; December 30, 2005, 01:42 PM.
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                      X