Oden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oden

The green roll in the middle is the Konbu Maki (wrapped with Kanpyo).
    Also visible are the lotus root (holes in it, 12 o'clock), Shiitake Mushroom (1 o'clock),
    Konnyaku (that spotted brick @ 11 o'clock), Gobo just below it,
    Pork-stuffed Aburage (10 o'clock), bamboo shoot, carrot, taro and various fishcakes.
    Oden is a one-pot Japanese stew that commonly includes fishcake, Shiitake Mushrooms, root vegetables and various other items, steeped in an earthy, delicious broth. It's a satisfying all-in-one meal and the perfect comfort food on a cold, rainy night. My late calabash aunty introduced this dish to me a few years ago and I was hooked ever since. It's not quite as mainstream in Hawaii as Sushi or Ramen, but it can be found at a few hole-in-the-wall Japanese restaurants around town. Not to mention on aunty's dinner table.

The variations in Japan are many, but the following recipe is how I was taught, which is probably more "localized". This is actually a shortcut method since it uses Oden No Moto (powdered Dashi soup stock) and frozen packaged root vegetables instead of fresh. It's a very simple and flexible dish to prepare. Throw everything in the dashi and let it steep for several hours. Add or omit items to your taste. Items such as Daikon and Shoyu-marinated Menma (Bamboo Shoots) are also good. Experiment with different fishcakes; there's so many varieties to choose from nowadays. You can find these items at Marukai, Daiei or your favorite asian grocery store.

Clockwise from top left: Oden No Moto (powdered dashi soup base),
    Chikuwa fish cake, Aburage, Kanpyo (the string thing), Dried Konbu (seaweed),
    Konnyaku (packaging), Boiled Mixed Vegetable (packaging), Gobo Tenpura
    fishcake, Gobo Maki fishcake.

Oden

Serves up to 10 people.

• Oden No Moto, 2 packets (makes approx. 10 cups of broth)
    • Frozen Boiled Mixed Vegetables: Taro, Lotus Root, Carrot, Bamboo Shoot, Shiitake Mushroom, Burdock), 1 one lb. package
    • Fish Cake, in this version: Chikuwa, Gobo Maki & Gobo Tenpura, 1 package each, cut into bite size pieces.
    • Konnyaku, 1 nine oz. package, drained and rinsed, cut into bite size pieces
    • Aburage (fried soybean curd) - 1 three oz. package
    • Ground Pork, approx. 3/4 lb.
    • Nishime Konbu (dried seaweed), 1 four oz. package, rinsed and soak in water until soft
    • Kanpyo (dried gourd strips), 1 one-and-a-half oz. package
    • Shoyu
    • Mirin
    • Water

1. Make dashi broth: Boil 10 cups of water in a large, heavy stock pot. Reduce to simmer, then stir in 2 packets Oden No Moto until fully dissolved. Let simmer on low heat.
    2. Make Konbu Maki: Cut Konbu into pieces approx. 2½"x 3". Place a small amount of ground pork on one end and roll up, then wrap and tie with strips of the Kanpyo. Add to Oden dashi pot.
    3. Make Stuffed Aburage: Cut Aburage into sections. Fill each Aburage with raw ground pork. Add to Oden dashi pot.
    4. Add the package of frozen mixed vegetables, various fishcake and Konnyaku to Oden pot.
    5. Now all the various items are in the Oden pot. Let the Oden simmer on low heat for at least 2 hours. The longer you let it simmer, the better. At the end, adjust the flavor with a little dash of Shoyu and/or Mirin. If you like it sweeter, add more Mirin.
    6. Portion each different item from the Oden pot in serving bowls and fill with broth about half-way up. Serve hot and enjoy.

Oishii!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Oden

Growing up Okinawan, I never ate oden. But I did eat a lot of nishime, which seems kinda similar. Is it? Can someone who knows both dishes comment on what the difference is between one and the other?

Comment

Man that looks good. Just looking at the picture made me hungry.
      Our family usually eats oden on New Years day only. I might change that tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Growing up Okinawan, I never ate oden. But I did eat a lot of nishime, which seems kinda similar. Is it? Can someone who knows both dishes comment on what the difference is between one and the other?

One is hairy and the other isn't
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          One is hairy and the other isn't
          Eh naichi, watch it! I resemble that remark!

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraScoop
            Man that looks good. Just looking at the picture made me hungry.
            Our family usually eats oden on New Years day only. I might change that tradition.
            I agree! Man that would taste so ono on a cold winter's night.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              This site explains in further detail the background and characteristics of Oden in Japan:
              http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia11/bon.html

This may help distinguish the difference between Oden & Nishime.

As said in my original recipe post, the version given here was from my late (calabash) aunt who was nisei. Not being of Japanese ancestry myself, I never grew up eating Oden, so I can only go from what I learned from her. Which also is a testament to how non-mainstream this dish is in Hawaii. Kinda' like Natto.. well not really.

All I know is if you follow the Oden recipe I gave with those exact ingredients and procedure, I can (almost) guarantee you'll love it!

B-T-W, I quickly devoured that bowl of Oden shown in that photo soon after the shot was taken.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
              X