new news director for KGMB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new news director for KGMB

did everyone notice that KGMB has hired a new news director?
    chris archer will be joining the station next month. he comes from KRON in san francisco where he was the executive producer. its his first news director job. some of the people i talked to at KGMB that met him had mixed feelings.
    while at KRON he was part of a news team that won an emmy for best newscast. (i've known a lot of people who have won emmy's and other industry awards and often times they win because others chose not to enter the competition). it will be interesting to see if he makes any changes to a newscast that is moving up in the ratings or will blangiardi make all the important decisions.

Re: new news director for KGMB

Interesting insights. More than one Emmy along the way, per his resume.

In case folks missed it, this is the column that included the news of his hiring.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/05/03/business/engle.html

(Scroll to second item).
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

KGMB has also hired a new reporter

Comment

who is the new news reporter at KGMB and who does he/she replace?

Comment

Originally posted by tvnewshound
          who is the new news reporter at KGMB and who does he/she replace?
          Her name is Sabrina Hall. As far as replacing anyone, I haven't noticed anyone leaving since Angela Keen a couple of months ago. Maybe Sabrina is Angela's replacement, or maybe they're just increasing their on-air staff.
          No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryPrice
            Her name is Sabrina Hall. As far as replacing anyone, I haven't noticed anyone leaving since Angela Keen a couple of months ago. Maybe Sabrina is Angela's replacement, or maybe they're just increasing their on-air staff.
            I think that Korean dude (is he Korean?) Cedric Moon started reporting about the time Angela Keen left.

But I’ve read in other threads that KGMB has had a hiring freeze ever since Emmis decided to sell the station, so “increasing their on-air staff” seems unlikely.

Whatever happened to Heidi Chang? I only saw her stories on the weekend, so maybe she was only part time. But then again, veteran Colette Fox seems to only show up a few times a week, so if she gets laid off too, does two part-timers gone = one full-time Sabrina Hall?

Things that make you go hmmm.....

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
              I think that Korean dude (is he Korean?) Cedric Moon started reporting about the time Angela Keen left.

But I’ve read in other threads that KGMB has had a hiring freeze ever since Emmis decided to sell the station, so “increasing their on-air staff” seems unlikely.

Whatever happened to Heidi Chang? I only saw her stories on the weekend, so maybe she was only part time. But then again, veteran Colette Fox seems to only show up a few times a week, so if she gets laid off too, does two part-timers gone = one full-time Sabrina Hall?

I think I remember Cedric Moon starting a while before Angele Keen left. I don't recall Heidi Chang at all, but then, I don't watch the news on the weekends as consistently as through the week. Colette wasn't around much for a while, but I've been seeing her more frequently in the last month or so.

As for full-time vs. part-time, it's a bit hard to tell from a reporter's on-air time, since it fluctuates. You see a reporter nearly every day for a while, and then might go a week or more without seeing him/her. Time will tell I guess.

Meanwhile, has anyone heard anything more about the reports that Clear Channel Communications and several "local investors" were considering making a bid? The "local investors" sounds good, but I don't know about Clear Channel. It seems to me that they have a pretty negative reputation, at least in the radio industry...a bland, corporate, "cookie-cutter" approach to their station formats and programming. Some people blame them almost single-handedly for the fact that FM stations now pretty much sound identical across the country.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                I (SNIP)... But then again, veteran Colette Fox seems to only show up a few times a week, so if she gets laid off too, does two part-timers gone = one full-time Sabrina Hall?

Colette Fox told me she "freelances" for TV. I believe Julia Norton-Dennis does as well. That's interesting. It never occurred to me that broadcast would use freelancers, but I guess they send these gals out on assignments the same way I would get stories from print outlets. Why not?
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Julia's worked for KSSK radio AND KGMB-TV for years.
                  She's the hardest working woman in the local news biz, as far as I'm concerned.
                  Signed, her friend and former News Director.
                  I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

here's the scoops.... Colette Fox was hired part time to work only a couple days week when KGMB was short reporters. It was always supposed to be a temporary band-aid until KGMB found a full-time replacement. Remember Rob Young and Angela Keen left, and Louise Kim McCoy was let go. But since the recent hiring of Sabrina Hall full-time, KGMB could no longer afford to keep Colette on. Her last day was a couple of weeks ago.

Heidi Chang was a part-time reporter back in 2004. She either left or was let go after six months.

Julia Norton-Dennis works part-time on weekdays, after she finishes the morning show at KSSK. Julia also works as the KGMB daytime reporter on Saturdays.

Comment

Colette Fox is a smart, hard-working journalist who would do any station well if they could scramble a budget to pay her.

I understand she's looking for print work. I turned her on to a couple of possibilities.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Kgmb

aloha,
                        i've been out of touch for a while.....has kgmb been sold yet or does emmis still own it?

Comment

Re: Kgmb

Originally posted by tvnewshound View Post
                          aloha,
                          i've been out of touch for a while.....has kgmb been sold yet or does emmis still own it?
                          It's still owned by Emmis and still on the market. If you could loan me around $40 million, I'll buy it!

Comment

Working...
                          X