Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who owns a laptop... or how many have you gone through?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who owns a laptop... or how many have you gone through?

Nine questions:

1. Do you own a Laptop?
    2. How many have you purchased in your life?
    3. Do you feel Dependent upon it?
    4. Do you use it for work/pleasure or Both?
    5. Do you have your Data backed up on a regular basis
    6. Do you have valuable information on your computer?
    7. Are you worried about it being stolen?
    8. Is it wireless and what is your favorite Hotspot in Hawaii?
    9. Do you also own a PC or is your lap top your only computer?

I've been using both for a while...

My answers:

1. Yes
    2. Just this one
    3. No
    4. Both
    5. No
    6. Not really
    7. Not really
    8. Yes... the Airport
    9. Yes I also own a PC.
    Last edited by damontucker; June 19, 2006, 05:46 PM. Reason: came up w/ another question

Re: Who owns a laptop... or how many have you gone through?

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    Nine questions:

1. Do you own a Laptop?
    1.No
    2. None
    3. I feel dependent on my PC
    4. Pleasure
    5.Yes
    6. Yes
    7. No
    8.No
    9.Yes
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Nine questions:

1. Do you own a Laptop?
      Yes

One

I don't bring it to school everyday, as its really a third computer. I can surf the web from my bed without being tethered to a desktop (but am still tethered to the wired ethernet cable) and so far it saved my hiney a few times (mostly to do work on the bus before/after school, or lookup information).

Since its an aged laptop, I use it for when I don't want to carry my two desktops (with monitor) around or to do some schoolwork, or even to entertain myself/friends.

Lets just say, that the HD is so small, I can probably ghost it onto a 120gb HD a few times. And no, I don't backup (everything is transfered from computer to CD/DVD/thumbdrive/portable HD that I always have a backup after I transfer the files to my laptop)

I lock it with a BIOS password and

Its looks so old, that people will probably leave it alone, or leave money for me to buy a new one. But I still treat it like my desktop (a 8lb desktop)

I had to buy a PCMCIA card from BB, and until the end of April, TheBus was my favorite wifi spot. Now I just steal (I mean anonymously use) internet connections where ever I can (atleast the free ones atleast)

Like I said, I have two other desktops, so this was my first portable computer to surf the web/type documents away from home.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

[QUOTE=manoasurfer123]Nine questions:

1. Do you own a Laptop?

I've been using both for a while...

My answers:

1. Yes
        2. Just this one
        3. No
        4. Both
        5. Yes
        6. Not personal
        7. No
        8. Yes...Common Groundz
        9. Yes I also own a PC.[/
        QUOTE]
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

1. Do you own a Laptop? Yes
          2. How many have you purchased in your life? Only this one.
          3. Do you feel Dependent upon it? Only when traveling. Doubles as DVD player for the kid unit.
          4. Do you use it for work/pleasure or Both? Both.
          5. Do you have your Data backed up on a regular basis? 4 times a year about
          6. Do you have valuable information on your computer? Not at liberty to say.
          7. Are you worried about it being stolen? Nope. Worry is for other people.
          8. Is it wireless and what is your favorite Hotspot in Hawaii? It's wireless. My favorite hotspot is just about any neighborhood where the residents have cable. Only takes about 5 minutes of slow driving to find an unsecured, wireless network, and get online. Shhhh...don't tell anybody.
          9. Do you also own a PC or is your lap top your only computer? 2 PC
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

1. Do you own a Laptop?
            yes

currently own 5 (not all were purchased new!)...one is used as a prop during casting sessions (it doesn't work at all).

I'm dependent on the use of a laptop but don't feel the need to take one with me wherever I go! I love getting away from my computers!

both

I work from a portable external hard drive and back up to my computers and/or larger ext. hard drives.

Sometimes. But mostly not.

With regard to data I'd be more concerned about my portable HD (I actually left it in the Apple Store today! ) However, I wouldn't want to spend money on another laptop. i'm careful but not obsessed!

Yes...home!

I also have a desktop Mac but have basically phased it out.

Now, with all of those computers you'd think I'd know what the h3!! I'm doing. But, nooooooo...I'm still the Untechie Tutu!

Comment

tutue the queen of laptops so far...

I have the feeling when PZ posts...he's gonna forget how many he's had...

I think he is one of the first person I knew who had one!

Comment

I love mobile computing. Often times it was a neccessity (I used to travel a lot), much of the time it was just convenient, and fun. I've owned several laptops -- to the point where I can't remember them all. I know I had an Apple PowerBook 145 (an early, "green" screen monochrome baby), a PowerBook 1400c, a couple of Sony Vaio 505 models (the "ultraportable" form factor), a Dell C600 (a bare bones clunker), and a HP TC1000 Tablet PC. Not to mention several that were assigned to me for work, including several Dells (one with a monstrous 17" screen that was almost embarassing to set up in public), a Toshiba I loved, and a Compaq I hated.

Of course, there are also PDAs, which aren't quite computers but handle specific tasks. I've had several of those, too. The original PalmPilot, a Palm III, a Handspring Visor Prism, a really fancy Sony Clie, and now my Treo 650 (a PDA-phone combo). I do a lot of work on these little things, too... e-mail, IM, scheduling, note-taking, contacts. The basics, and of course a lot less cumbersome than a whole laptop.

The Tablet PC is the only laptop I carry with me today, but I can go weeks without firing it up. I have desktop machines at work and at home, and so it's rare that I'll need to use a computer on the road. Which isn't to say that I don't want to retain that option... or that I don't covet a MacBook quite deeply!

As for data security? I try not to keep sensitive data on any portable device, but when I do, I encrypt what I can with PGP (which I wish more people used -- and they will, soon enough) and use DoD-grade disk wipe tools to delete it (though three passes or five still aren't as secure as a sledgehammer).

And backup? I'm trying to get better at it. As they say, you're always only one bad crash away from becoming a backup evangelist. I do backup critical data in three places... online, removable media, and on other networked devices. And that's already saved my hide a few times. But I've got more media files than you could shake a stick at, and that's hard to archive frequently.

Comment

1. Do you own a Laptop?

1. yes
                  2. one
                  3. not now that schools out
                  4. both
                  5. nope
                  6. not really
                  7. not really, doesn't leave my side when i'm out
                  8. yes, and my house
                  9. got me a powerful work horse of a desktop
                  Last edited by Cameron; June 19, 2006, 08:26 PM.
                  808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                  kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                  http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

1. Do you own a Laptop? No, but I am planning on getting one
                    2. How many have you purchased in your life? none
                    3. Do you feel Dependent upon it? Nope
                    4. Do you use it for work/pleasure or Both? home use
                    5. Do you have your Data backed up on a regular basis? I suppose I will
                    6. Do you have valuable information on your computer? On the laptop no
                    7. Are you worried about it being stolen? Yes
                    8. Is it wireless and what is your favorite Hotspot in Hawaii? No idea
                    9. Do you also own a PC or is your lap top your only computer? Have a desktop and two desktops in various conditions

Comment

1. Do you own a Laptop? Yes, on it now.
                      2. How many have you purchased in your life? None. This one was a gift.
                      3. Do you feel Dependent upon it? For business, I use Outlook, mostly on my Palm, to keep track of contacts and appointments.
                      4. Do you use it for work/pleasure or Both? Mostly for pleasure, but I can do some financial illustrations that save me from having to wait to get to the office.
                      5. Do you have your Data backed up on a regular basis? I have my outlook synch on the laptop, palm, desktop and Yahoo online.
                      6. Do you have valuable information on your computer? Desktop at home is the only one with the valuable stuff. Journal software is encrypted. No client private information on any computer.
                      7. Are you worried about it being stolen? a little bit.
                      8. Is it wireless and what is your favorite Hotspot in Hawaii? wireless card, and just now learning to have fun at Starbucks and Border's hotspots. The most fun is actually sitting in my living room so I can be part of the family instead of stuck in my office.
                      9. Do you also own a PC or is your lap top your only computer? See above answers, yes.

Comment

As I thought...PZ would end up be the Laptop "king" of this thread...anyone else w/ more experience?

Funny thing, I saw someone using a "portable typewriter" about a week ago...

when I asked him why he was still using the typewriter...the buggah when tell me... "the thing has an automatic erase key!"

I about died with laughter inside of my body...but couldn't let it out cause he was a "client" at a business!

but still... I am amazed at the amount of people that are scared of technology!

Comment

"automatic erase key"
                          hmmmm. I want one uh dose.

I also want one uh them internet thingees too.

1. Do you own a Laptop? Yes, on it now.
                          uh. no. on it now.
                          (?!)

2. How many have you purchased in your life? None. This one was a gift.
                          three.

I did. would, too if I had one.

Comment

1. Do you own a Laptop?
                            Yes. My current one is a white, 2 GHz MacBook that I've had for a little over a month.

I'm not sure of the exact number, but it's more than 25.

No, not really.

Mostly, I use it for pleasure.

My data's backed up on a regular basis.

Not on my laptop.

No.

It has WiFi and my favorite hotspot in Hawai'i is at the airport in Honolulu.

I own several PCs (and Macs).
                            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

1. Do you own a Laptop? YES

2. How many have you purchased in your life? 5

3. Do you feel Dependent upon it? NO

4. Do you use it for work/pleasure or Both? BOTH

5. Do you have your Data backed up on a regular basis YES

6. Do you have valuable information on your computer? NO

7. Are you worried about it being stolen? NO

8. Is it wireless and what is your favorite Hotspot in Hawaii? NONE

9. Do you also own a PC or is your lap top your only computer? YES / NO
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X