• have any of you visited the uk?

i just wondered as i live in the middle of england
    *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
    http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Re: have any of you visited the uk?

Not yet, but someday...

Comment

One of my "things to do before I die" is to visit Manchester and attend the annual derby whilst(such a British word, hardly get a chance to use it) foraging in the musical underbelly of the city attempting to connect the dots between the Buzzcocks and Oasis. How one area can produce and continue to produce such good music is a personal research project of mine. I need to feel it, smell it, taste it, to be totally satisfied.

United or City? Most likely City...............
      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

London, 1984 and 1987. Edinburgh, 1987. In '87 I had a BritRail pass and did side trips to Bath and a few other places. Had a great time walking under the Thames to Greenwich, too.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

absolutely. of course, that was when i was still a young whipper snapper with a rail pass, a backpack, and 3 months off!
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

No, I haven't, I would like to maybe sometime in the future
            Tristin-Mataiva . . . . . Zoom, Zoom, Zoom! ! !
            I sell cars...TTFN, have a nice day and Drive Safe!!!
            email: zoomhawaii@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
              One of my "things to do before I die" is to visit Manchester and attend the annual derby whilst(such a British word, hardly get a chance to use it) foraging in the musical underbelly of the city attempting to connect the dots between the Buzzcocks and Oasis. How one area can produce and continue to produce such good music is a personal research project of mine. I need to feel it, smell it, taste it, to be totally satisfied.

United or City? Most likely City...............
              Have to agree with your assessment of the music scene, there's really nothing else quite like it. I live in Manchester having moved down here from Scotland 8 years ago and am spoiled rotten by the amount of good, live music on offer. And yes, it has to be City

Regards, Smudge
              You don't need to know all the answers. No-one is smart enough to ask you all the questions

Comment

My wife and I visited the UK before the keikis came around, and boy, it was an awesome trip. For starters, my wife's company had an office in London, so we were able to stay in a 1 bedroom flat with full amenities for 80 pounds for 7 days. It was located right in the heart of the art district, Covent Gardens. It was convenient to reach the National Art Gallery, local museums, musicals/plays, Trafalgar Square, Chinatown, London Bridge, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral to name a few.

What struck me was how ancient the history goes back for this awesome country. The cathedrals alone, housed catacombs (sp?) with some famous people like, Sir Issac Newton, Charles Dickens, & Charles Darwin. Needless to say, my wife and I tried to cram as much as we could, but several trips back would do justice. We enjoyed the Pub dining with Fish n chips, bangers and mash, and some of the local British suds like, John Courage, yum!

All in all, it was a vacation that I would love to do with my keikis if I could ever afford it. The people are friendly, transportation via trains, the underground, and buses make it very convenient. Hope to return someday.

Cheers!

Comment

I left Hawaii in the early eighties to live in Hemel Hempsted. Talk about a world of difference!

It was during the time of Maggie, and golden handshakes. I worked as a milkie, delivering bottles of milk door to door for the Co-op in a rough Aylesbury council estate.

I grew to love Branston Pickle and Bird's custard.
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Been to London a few years back. I must say it was the most enjoyable city in Europe. The Londoners were polite, friendly and curteous. I like British folks.

That being said, I've also been to a number of ex-British colonies and they are all very orderly, well run cities. Hong Kong pre-Chinese takeover, Gibralter and hmm I forget the other I know there was one more. You Brits leave a place better than you found it.

I was actually taking the family to London and Austria last year but October bombings out the kibosh to that. I've been all over Europe and London was my favorite by far.

Comment

Been to London like once. Ages ago though.
                      It was nice.. a bit too cold but nice..
                      Nothing compared to Canada though.. I mean its FREEEEZING! way below 40... and I prefer it being WAY above 80!

Comment

Been to the UK several times. London most of the time. My EX was from living in London when we met. Nice, friendly place but not my style. I can't live in London.... the weather is crazy....the driving... wow.....

Wow... Paris...... don't care for it........ the most unfriendly place I have ever been. Mind you I have been all over the world and Paris is one place that just did not do it for me. This recent article is sooo correct.. I was so disappointed and could not wait to leave http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061023/...paris_tourists

Rome and Italy...... I love love love these two places...
                        Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                        Mark Twain

Comment

I've been to London. I went with my mom about 20 years ago. Loved Trafalgar square and Picadilly Circus. I'd like to go again, now that I'm older. I also appreciate English humor. Torchwood started on Sunday, I wonder if it is any good?
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Re Torchwood - if the first couple of episodes are anything to go by, I shall be hooked the whole way thru

Regards, Smudge
                            You don't need to know all the answers. No-one is smart enough to ask you all the questions

Comment

Travelled to London Sept. of 1975, military sponsored 1 week R&R from home base in Bavaria (husband was in the Army).

All transportation, lodging (Victoria Hotel, an old "Grand Hotel" from a bygone era, not yet restored...), continental breakfast included, museum fees included, $150 for us both! We went by chartered bus, crossed the English Channel by ferry from Belgium to Dover (which I LOVED!!! Walked on the beach below the white cliffs) then on to Canterbury Cathedral (found myself STANDING on Thomas A'Beckett's grave, I was looking for it, couldn't find it, then noticed some writing underneath my feet...found out recently my family is directly descended from the king who put him there...how odd ) and finally to wonderful London.

The hotel had it's own entrance to the Red Bus Line so transportation was as simple as getting a bus pass to explore on our own apart from some of the guided tours. Saw a revival of "Harvey" with Jimmy Stewart (sooo tall, and got autograph on program) which we chose over Henry Fonda's one man show and the Russian Ballet (we only had funds to do one...just lucky to BE there, really).

A wonderful experience all around. Also was allowed to go to the roof of Westminster Abbey which I can't imagine them letting tourists do now. (Also was on roof of St.Peters, and the Duomo, Florence Cathedral - cupola, on a similar trip to Rome that spring). I love to travel and hope to return to those locations someday.
                              Speak to me in quiet ways, of moonlit nights and halcyon days~

Comment

Working...
                              X