Five Years after 9/11/01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Years after 9/11/01

I was up at night flipping through channels when I caught CNN reporting one of the WTC towers had been hit by an airplane.

I woke my wife and told her what happened and she said to go back sleep...

I kept watching CNN all night and watched both the towers drop live on CNN.

My drive to work in the morning was a sullen drive not knowing what in the world was happening....

I was driving towards pearl harbor ... and in my mind I was thinking.... shouldn't I be heading in a different direction then towards a place that was previously attacked?

I have family that live in New York and we were not able to communicate or get a hold of them for almost 3 days!

I read an email going around about posting a Flag up on your house/business/restaraunt/etc... on 9/11/06... This seems like a simple enough thing to do for all those that have lost their lives on that day...as well as all of our soldiers that have died in helping to protect our country from things like this happening again.

Re: Five Years after 9/11/01

I was living with my then-BF in Coast Guard housing in Red Hill.

His best friend from California woke us up with a hysterical phone call. We couldn't make out what the heck she was saying besides "turn on the TV." About an hour later, his CO called the entire crew to report to the ship immediately. I didn't see him for 4 whole days because they were out patrolling the islands.

When I drove to my mom's house that morning, what normally took me 3 minutes took me almost an hour because traffic was not moving at all. I didn't feel like going to class or work that day...my profs and bosses didn't go either.

I spent the day on the couch glued to the TV with mom. I didn't really feel like being with anyone else but her.

I was terribly worried about two sorority sisters of mine. One worked for Cantor Fitzgerald and the other as a flight attendant for United Airlines based out of Virginia. I didn't get word of their safety for TWO WEEKS.

And then on September 12th, my grandfather died.

Getting through the days post 9-11 was extremely difficult.

I can't believe it's been 5 years already.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

ahhh, don't worry. Islam is the religion of peace. Muslims have no hatred of the West. They won't attack us again. We can all get along and eat mung beans and hummus in organic spinach tortillas while we sing Kumbayah.

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I was at work, panicking..wondering if my unborn baby would be ok or if they were coming here.

I caught Rescue Me tonight and saw they gave tribute...saying "I can't believe it's been 5 years already".

My sentiments exactly..My flag from my brother in the Air Force is in full stance on my front porch.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I was on the internet when the news first broke out. At first, I thought it was some kind of hoax. It was morbidly fascinating to watch the second jet hit the WTC, surrealistic as in a dream.

My oldest daughter was in college in Boston. One of the hijacked United flights (Boston to SF) was one she had caught for previous trips back home. It was an eerie feeling. The events of 9/11 factored in her decision to return home after graduation in 2002 instead of staying in the New England area.

My second daughter graduated from college in the SoCal area. She's now in northern Virginia and works for the federal government in DC.

Yes, it doesn't seem that FIVE YEARS have elapsed. I still have an American flag in my car sticking out from an AC vent.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            I read an email going around about posting a Flag up on your house/business/restaraunt/etc... on 9/11/06... This seems like a simple enough thing to do for all those that have lost their lives on that day...as well as all of our soldiers that have died in helping to protect our country from things like this happening again.
            Hmmmm...I wonder wea you read dat?

I remember being awaken by my phone ringing. I answered it. My daughter, Ligaya was shouting to me to turn on the television. She was stationed in Georgia. My son at Ft. Carson, Colorado. She and I cried on the phone as we watched the Twin Towers full with smoke and fire. We prayed.

My heart knew in an instant my children were going to be called to War. They eventually did. Terrorism has taken a whole new meaning for our country.

After 911, Flags flew coast to coast. It should always be this way. We should never forget those who perished and those who continue to sacrafice their lives so that we can continue to live in Freedom.

It's a given for me to fly my American flag outside my Hale for all to see. I am a Proud American. I am a Proud Military Mother. Please join me in remembering those who lost their lives and those who continue to serve our great Nation.

God Bless You and God Bless America!

Auntie Lynn
            Last edited by 1stwahine; August 29, 2006, 11:47 PM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I was in the mountains outside of Cali, Colombia preaching to a group of drug addicts. After the service, someone turned the tv on and there it was. It took days to get back to the states, but I remember thinking that this had to be more than an attack by terrorists on America. I couldn't help but wonder if there wasn't a correlation between what happened in 70 AD with the destruction of Jerusalem. Unfortunately, there is.

Comment

It was right about the time it is right now (around 7 am), and I was just woken up from a dead sleep by my dog barking at something outside (she was right next to me..yikes!), so I feel just as sleepy as when my then roomate knocked on my door in our Hollywood apartment on 9/11/01 and said "hey, I think you should wake up, there's some serious sh*t going down in NY". I got up and watched both towers fall to dust in the city I grew up and lived next to for 31 years.

I went to work and everyone was just talking about it and the bosses were asking us New Yorkers if we were ok and and if we knew anyone who might have been in those towers, My good friend who got me the job there told me his brother did and he hadn't heard from him. He also said his brother's wife used to work there but was on maternity leave.

They sent us home from work. My friend's brother was ok but had an amazing story to tell about some guy hey was talking to in Hoboken, New Jersey, where he had ended up after fleeing on the path train. This young guy he was talking to was in shock and talking about seeing people's heads hitting the ground and exploding right in front of him He was covered in dust and dirt, and was in a serious state of shock, talking like a person who had an alien encounter or something.

Later on I found out that I guy I knew we used to call "Big Eric" was in the towers and died in there. He was a bouncer who worked at one of the clubs my band played at , and ended up becoming a friend of the band, and hangin with us working for us doing road crew stuff and acting as security...we didn't need it, he just liked doing it....he was a very protective kinda guy.He ended up working as a stockbroker at the towers. Last time his mom heard from him, he was on the 90-something floor helping people get out.

I remember the day after 9-11 going to get coffee and getting asked for change, and wanting to strangle the guy asking, because of how we found out that the bastards flying the planes took lessons from flight schools here in the US. It made me really pissed off how people take advantage of the freedom of living in the US, and how we let this stuff happen. I know alot of people felt that kind of thing then. Misplaced anger perhaps, but not uncommon thinking for people, especially those in NY at the time.

R.I.P - "Big" Eric Eisenberg
                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

It was my daughter's 21st birthday. Since then, she's had to put up with too many people saying "oh, I'm sorry" when they learn that her birthday is 9/11.

I told her to remember, it was her birthday first, and the terrible events of 2001 cannot take that away from her. She still has the right to celebrate, while others mourn.

(It is also the birthday of one of my closest friends' daughters.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    It was my daughter's 21st birthday. Since then, she's had to put up with too many people saying "oh, I'm sorry" when they learn that her birthday is 9/11.

I told her to remember, it was her birthday first, and the terrible events of 2001 cannot take that away from her. She still has the right to celebrate, while others mourn.

(It is also the birthday of one of my closest friends' daughters.)
                    It suprises me anyone says "Oh, I'm sorry"
                    Who would be so rude?? That's a terrible thing to say because her birthday is on 9/11
                    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                    Sharing withother survivors...
                    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
                      It suprises me anyone says "Oh, I'm sorry"
                      Who would be so rude?? That's a terrible thing to say because her birthday is on 9/11
                      Exactly. But I've told her that, even though they may not think out how it comes across, their motivation in saying that is kind - they don't mean it to be rude. It's hard to know how to react in relation to 9/11, since it's such an unusual event in most people's lives.

Comment

I love a thread like this, where not one single person is being an apologist for terrorists. Those apologists are scumbags just like the terrorists.

God Bless Auntie Lynns Kids - Fight like hell kids !!
                        God Bless Big Eric - I bet he was a helluva guy.
                        God Bless Leo's kid - Happy Birthday Chickadee
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                          I love a thread like this, where not one single person is being an apologist for terrorists. Those apologists are scumbags just like the terrorists.
                          But, Tim - didja hafta bring that kinda pi$$ into it? It wasn't necessary and spoils a thread that, as you noted, previously did not contain the political vitriol of other threads.

Comment

My oldest had celebrated his birthday the day before. I was driving to work the next day and heard it on the radio, my wife called and was watching it on TV. I remember the disbilief, panic and fear welling up inside me. It sure doesnt seem like 5 years to me, I still get big time chicken skin everytime I think back or even when I see the clock display 9:11......

I'll be hanging my flag in remembrance for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                              But, Tim - didja hafta bring that kinda pi$$ into it? It wasn't necessary and spoils a thread that, as you noted, previously did not contain the political vitriol of other threads.
                              Well...the rage he feels is understandable, and while we're reminiscing about the horrible tragedy that was 9-11, it's good to remember all the feelings that were conjured up from that event...good, bad and ugly.

Now, 5 years later and Osama Bin Laden is still running around somewhere, and the hate against us is still breeding...it never sleeps.
                              I think it's good to hold onto some of that rage...as time goes on we lose it and the people responsible are regrouping, and plotting the next one.

That being said, I don't agree with our current administration using it as an excuse for all the bad decisions they continue to make....but that's another thread entirely. :-)
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                              X