Animal Quarantine Facility Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Quarantine Facility Experience

I arrived in Honolulu last week with my beloved kitty, Miranda, and wanted to share my experience with others. I have worked very hard to make sure that this transition was as pain free for Miranda (and for me) as possible. I had all of her paperwork in order, sent in my fees, etc. and made airline reservations that allowed Miranda to travel in cabin with me. We left Texas last Thursday and flew to Los Angeles. We spent the night (good thing since we were three hours late getting there) and left for Hawaii first thing Friday morning.

We arrived at the Honolulu Airport about 10:30 a.m. They took Miranda from me at the gate and took her to the Quarantine Facility. My husband met me at baggage claim. We went to get the car and drove directly to the Quarantine Facility. Fortunately, we had located it on our house hunting visit in July. We walked in, presented Miranda's Health Certificate and proof of flea/tick treatment. They gave me a receipt for the money I had sent in and brought Miranda out to me. She had been out of my control for about 45 minutes total.

It was a piece of cake!!! I was so worried that I would miss a step and she would have to stay and that would have been awful. The people at the facility were very nice and the man that brought her out to me said she'd been looking around, very curious, while he was checking her out.

I'm so glad we're finally here and all back together again. Now we just need our furniture to arrive. That should happen late next week. For now, we're camping in our new house - sleeping on an air mattress and using beach chairs for our living room furniture. I got my cable/internet/phone connected today so at least I'm connected to the real world and can watch Judge Judy!

This whole process has been quite an ordeal, but little by llittle it's all coming together.

If anyone planning to move to the islands with a pet would like more info, feel free to contact me.

Tina

Re: Animal Quarantine Facility Experience

Welcome to Hawaii, Tina, Mr. Tina and Miranda!

Comment

Mr. Tina is Terry! Thanks!

Comment

CONGRATS ON YOUR MOVE TO HAWAI'I. I wish you much luck and happiness!!!

Will soon join you.
        Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
        Mark Twain

Comment

I'm glad to hear it went well, Tina! I hadn't read a first-hand account recently, and most of what's remembered is the way things were ten years ago. It's not quite going home with you from the airport, but it's pretty darn close! Glad Miranda is home already and happy in Hawaii.

Comment

Hi All:

Having to get three cats over to Hawaii when hubby and I move, we were very interested when we saw this thread pop up. You were actually able to fly your cat "in cabin" upon your arrival to Hawaii? It was my understanding that animals were not allowed in cabin and can only enter as cargo on flights Hawaii-bound.

What airline did you take?

Any information you can give is very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Comment

I'm glad you got your cat through incident free!

Comment

Tina,

I'm so glad to hear that your experience was a good one for you, your husband and Miranda! I read your posting with great interest as my two cats will be joining me at the beginning of the year after they have completed their "quarantine" at my parent's home. It will be tough to not have them with me until then, but the alternative quarantine process is certainly preferable to a more old school process when they would have had to sit in a cage at their destination for months before being released. Again, I'm happy that things went so well and I hope that we have a similar experience!

-- Another Tina

Comment

Originally posted by PhyllisBobby914
                  Hi All:

Having to get three cats over to Hawaii when hubby and I move, we were very interested when we saw this thread pop up. You were actually able to fly your cat "in cabin" upon your arrival to Hawaii? It was my understanding that animals were not allowed in cabin and can only enter as cargo on flights Hawaii-bound.

What airline did you take?

Any information you can give is very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

I am moving this month and ATA airlines allows the pet to be in the cabin. I am not sure if you can take 3 cats at once though?

Comment

That's awesome!!! One of my biggest concerns about moving home was the thought of my cats being "locked up" for 3 months!!!

Now if I could only afford the house.......
                    "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

ATA is the airlines to get your pet on the plane inside the cabin with you. You still have to abide by all the quarantine regulations to get same say release. You may want to check the number of animals you can take inside the cabin with you at the same time. I sort of doubt they will allow you to take all 3 of your cats in the same flight. What I did learn is that when you book the flight you need to tell them you are going to be taking a pet inside the cabin with you. They only allow 5 animals in total by all passengers on the airplane on the flight. So you have to make sure they can accomodate you on the flight you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by trygtorb
                        I'm so glad to hear that your experience was a good one for you, your husband and Miranda! I read your posting with great interest as my two cats will be joining me at the beginning of the year after they have completed their "quarantine" at my parent's home. It will be tough to not have them with me until then, but the alternative quarantine process is certainly preferable to a more old school process when they would have had to sit in a cage at their destination for months before being released. Again, I'm happy that things went so well and I hope that we have a similar experience!
                        We have a kitty as well. I was wondering how you plan to get your cats over? Will your parents come visit with them later? The "alternative quarantine" is actually a pretty good idea

Comment

Sorry I haven't checked the board in several days and, therefore, haven't responded to anyone's questions. Our container arrived and we finally got to sleep in our own bed.

Yes, ATA is the airline I flew because they were the only ones that allowed "in cabin" pets. I'm not sure about three cats and two passengers though.

I agree that leaving your pets on the mainland with friends or family is much better than having them locked in a cage for four months but Terry and I really didn't have anyone we could ask to keep Miranda for that long. As a result, Terry came to Hawaii in June without me and Miranda and I stayed in North Carolina except for a ten day house hunting trip I took to the islands. The things we do for our pets! Terry and I have NEVER been apart and those first thirty days were terrible. I'm not sure Miranda appreciates it, but we feel it was for the best.

Good luck on your move,
                          Tina

Comment

That's amazing Tina, you must really love your pets. My wife and I were apart for two months (Arizona and Texas) during an earlier move and it was pretty terrible. I actually took a road trip out half way through to deliver some of her stuff and visit. It wasn't too bad in the long run though, because my experience there is what convinced me to go ahead and propose

Congrats on getting through your move! I hear it can be pretty stressful.

Comment

Working...
                            X