Honolulu's best Caesar salad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu's best Caesar salad?

In another post, DaFerret said: I still stick to my guns that Stuart's have great caesar salad.

My own benchmark for Caesar salad is rather dated; it's the Caesar salad that Castagnola's used to make. The tableside prep, from scratch, was great dinner theater. The waiter would start with a whole anchovy and a few cloves of garlic, and mash them by hand in the salad bowl with the back of a fork and a squirt of olive oil. Then he'd add the egg yolk, and the worcestershire, and more olive oil, and some grated Parmesan, spinning the bowl and mixing briskly as he added each new ingredient. Then the lettuce, tossed gently to coat all the pieces, and then the croutons. And finally, more freshly grated Parm and black pepper over everything. Mmmmmm.

Does anyone in town do it anywhere near to that these days?

Re: Honolulu's best Caesar salad?

Assaggio and Paesano, I believe, do it in similar fashion. Or, at least they did. I used to order Caesar that way a couple years back.

Comment

I love Caesar salad, and especially at any place that knows to include anchovies, but to be honest, the Caesar salad in a bag you get at CostCo is good enough for me most of the time.

Besides, the mere mention of Castagnola's makes my stomach turn. My entire family, and my coworkers and their families, got food poisoning there in 1999. The Department of Health got involved and everything. I don't know if they're still there, but I don't want to know. Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Besides, the mere mention of Castagnola's makes my stomach turn. My entire family, and my coworkers and their families, got food poisoning there in 1999. The Department of Health got involved and everything. I don't know if they're still there, but I don't want to know. Never again.
        Whoo, that's pretty brutal. Reminds me of the time a friend showed up at a Sunday barbecue with this big bag of really tasty clams for the grill. I won't go any further with this story.

I never visited the Hawaii Kai restaurant - my memories of Castagnola's are from when it was at the Manoa Marketplace, back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I know they moved out of there and operated in Waikiki for a few years, and then I lost track of the place altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by ruth
          Assaggio and Paesano, I believe, do it in similar fashion. Or, at least they did. I used to order Caesar that way a couple years back.
          Makes sense, as they're both run by former Castagnola's staffers.

Edit: Aha, I knew I remembered this article about Thomas Ky, the man behind both restaurants.
          Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; June 8, 2004, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruth
            Definitley Assagio's They have the best I have tasted.

-vic
            Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

One vote here for Matteo's.
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I will cast my vote and Hail Ceasar from Assagio.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hy's Steakhouse. They do the tableside prep show, too.

Comment

having never been to matteo's (nudges eric), i'll vote for hy's, too.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The Ceasar salad I had at Assagio Hawaii Kai was made table side. It was wonderful.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I'll have to try that Caesar's the next time we visit Assagio's.

BTW, there was a waiter at Hy's who apparently had no sense of smell and never did learn to make that salad quite right. And he was there for years.

He's hosting a local fishing show now, and does a taste evaluation of the guest chef's creation at the end of the program. Makes as much sense as having a color blind interior decorator.

Comment

I took GlossyP out for her birthday, lunch at Assaggio in Kailua and we had the Caesar salad, it as always was delicious! There is something so civilized to eat with tableside preparation in the middle of the day, what would have even made it more decadent would have been a martini or two but I was driving!

Comment

Cheapest is Wendy's most likely....

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                              Cheapest is Wendy's most likely....

Aj
                              Not ever even in consideration.......

Comment

Working...