Punahou in Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punahou in Seattle

Punahou flies to Seattle for the Emerald City Classic this weekend. It will be played at Qwest Field.

Quite exciting for Miulang, and the Northwest crew. Cancel everything and go to the game. High School Football is great entertainment.

Go Punahou !!

http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/30/sports/prepbeat.html
    Last edited by timkona; August 30, 2006, 09:18 PM.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: Punahou in Seattle

It's hard to reserve comment here...

I wish other local high schools had these kind of opportunities.

Good luck buff and blue and represent Hawaii's PRIVATE schools.

Gee...wonder how many car washes WERE NOT pulled for this one....

Lucky these kids...

Yeah, I'm jealous... my mom went Punahou and sent me to a public school on the mainland!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      I wish other local high schools had these kind of opportunities. Good luck buff and blue and represent Hawaii's PRIVATE schools. Gee...wonder how many car washes WERE NOT pulled for this one.... Lucky these kids...Yeah, I'm jealous... my mom went Punahou and sent me to a public school on the mainland!
      First reply, and it's Manoa with another derail. Boo-hoo, my mom went to Punahou, and all I got was a public education! Ye gods.

Look. Kids from public school have opportunities for travel and special events, too. School bands go to mainland parades, other school groups take trips to D.C., to Australia, to Canada. My kids' elementary school organizes trips to the Big Island! It ain't London, but hey, they're fifth graders.

Do public school kids and parents have to work harder? Maybe. But don't tell Punahou parents they've got it easy. There's an expectation of parental involvement... moreso, I'd say, than some public school parents feel.

Car washes? Buddy, they fundraise their little hearts out. Not every kid at Punahou is a trust-fund baby or the son or daughter of a millionaire. In fact, most of the Punahou parents I know are as struggling middle-class as they come. Instead of owning a fancy SUV, they drive an old Subaru and work extra jobs to send their kids to a good school. Heck, part of me wishes I had the discipline... but I'm also satisfied with the public school system (which also produced me -- so I guess the jury's still out there!).

But rather than trying to be a killjoy, I too am going to wish the Punahou kids the times of their lives... and do hope that Punahou alums and Hawaii expats in the area turn out to support 'em and celebrate local ties.

This is a sports thread, Manoa. If you want to rag on those rich Punahou kids, take it somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        This is a sports thread, Manoa. If you want to rag on those rich Punahou kids, take it somewhere else.
        My bad PZ...

I too wish that the Punahoe kids do well...

I just wish that Public schools had some of the same opportunities as some of the private schools when it comes to Athletics.

Anyone remember the Bank of Hawaii Commercial where they showed "Community Support" by providing Pahoa Football Players with Uniforms....etc...

Not too many communities are able to pull together as that commercial showed a public school pulling community resources together just to get new uniforms....

No get me wrong pz... if my child isn't accepted where we ideally want him to go...we will also probably send him to Punahou.

I'm not griping....hello... I work for DOE. I wish publicly educated children had the same opportunities in all fields.... "Education, Arts, Recreation, music... sports...etc..."

In the next few days the media will be reporting about the new graduation requirements that are going to be required by the class of 2010.... I've examined it...and hopefully it works... however, the kids are not going to like the new requirements....etc....

However, from what I can see...these requirements that they are now implenting in 2010 are some of the same requirements I was required to have in 1987 to graduate.

nuff said for now....
        Last edited by damontucker; August 30, 2006, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Way to go Buff N Blue!!!

Have FuN! Punahou and Hawai'i nei is already Proud of you!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Car washes? Buddy, they fundraise their little hearts out. Not every kid at Punahou is a trust-fund baby or the son or daughter of a millionaire. In fact, most of the Punahou parents I know are as struggling middle-class as they come
            I realize they fund raise...etc... isn't that what the whole carnival is about...

however, I still believe it takes money to make money... it's a more of a social-economical arguement that I choose not to go into... Remember.. I mental

Comment

however, I still believe it takes money to make money... it's a more of a social-economical arguement that I choose not to go into... Remember.. I mental
              Manoa, Remember...YOU said you NOT!! Don't ever use it as an excuse for making an Azx out of yourself! Having Mental Illness is no FuN and Games. I've said it many times before.

I was sincere in telling you how I felt.

Nuff said.

Back on topic.

Go Buff and Blues!!!

Black and Blues to ManoaSurfer321!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My bad PZ... nuff said for now....
                For the love of god, Manoa, it was 'nuff said before you said anything. Did you even read the very first or very last line of my reply? Tim was sharing a happy piece of news about Punahou kids going to Seattle. This thread, therefore, was titled, "Punahou in Seattle," not, "What does Manoa think about Punahou?" This thread was placed in the sports forum "Player's Place" at "HawaiiThreads," not "More Deep Thoughts" at "Manoaland."

If you start a post with "My bad," stop there... don't continue to dig that hole and derail the thread with two more replies that are, again, pointless.

"Punahou in Seattle" has nothing to do with graduation requirements in 2010, "social-economical" arguments that you say you don't want to get into (but get into anyway), or anythingabout how you think Punahou kids have it easy and public school kids have it rough. So no one cares about your mean ol' mom. Or your job at the DOE -- something that you can't resist mentioning at every opportunity as some sad attempt to bolster your credibility, but yet accomplishes little except give me little hope for the future of our state educational system. (I love how you can rant about how much things in the DOE are a mess, then proclaim that you're a part of it, without connecting a few dots.)

In case you're selectively reading again, I'll spell it out: Don't click the reply button if what you have to say is completely irrelevant. This simple rule will reduce your output by at least half, true, but it'll also improve its quality tenfold!

If you insist on flexing your brain muscles on "social-economical" issues, start another thread in "The Classroom." But here's a hint: don't bother.

Oh, and claiming to be "mental" is a pathetic excuse for a lack of common sense. I have less common sense than almost everyone I know, but I don't blame it on anything but myself.

Now, like Aunty Lynn says: Back on topic. Go Buff and Blues!

(Don't click that reply button, Manoa. Don't do it! )

Comment

Whoof, pz --- take off the "down with Manoa" shirt, okay? So he goes off topic sometimes, and talks about personal connections to threads here...who doesn't? At least you're not in "admin" mode, but man, from my outsider perspective, it sure seems like Manoa gets attacked a disproportionate amount on these boards. Even more than Kimo used to be for his newbie gantlets and "go back to the mainland" attacks.

And yes, the AF & I (and most of the Hawai`i community in Seattle) know about the weekend of Punahou events in the area, what with football, volleyball and the UW lu`au; we hope to catch some of it over a busy weekend. Miulang's in Maui right now, if I remember right. Thanks for the heads-up, Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Whoof, pz --- take off the "down with Manoa" shirt, okay?
                    Now that's an idea. Whip 'em up on Cafepress and sell 'em alongside those Whack Whack coasters!

Some folks are needlessly pounded on. Some folks are nudged a bit too hard for a misstep here or there. But if you're going to reliably make A, as they say, you're going to reliably get called on it. That he went off on Punahou for no good reason was annoying enough, but that he'd "my bad" and "nuff said" but still not drop it is proof that he's willingly clamoring for the attention.

And of course, once again, I fall for it and give it to him.

I apologize for contributing to the "it's all about Manoa" monster. Especially since it's obvious this thread is becoming a lost cause, as a result. I do, though, thank Tim for the heads up, and hope that the initial notice helps some folks connect, even if the derail that followed (to which I contributed) doesn't.

Comment

Thanks for the comment Leo.... your not the only one that has noticed this

PZ is especially tough on me...and I take it because I know he is educated and he know's me personally from long before HT even existed.

If I were especially hurt or felt he was dumping on me... I wouldn't still be at HT.

If anything... he keeps me in check at times and I appreciate that more than anything.

I'm still waiting for a good chance to jump on him... just haven't found a good oportunity

But back to thread topic...

Punahou plays Eastlake... and Eastlake has been a powerhouse in Football for the last few years in Washington. It should be a good game.

It should be an interesting game and I hope the Hawaiians in the area come out for the games with their flags waving!

Comment

Manoa makes another good point. (See, I can be nice!) Off-board context counts for a lot. I mean, Aunty Lynn smacks Manoa around more than anyone here, but she also has more affection for him than anyone, too. Sometimes begrudgingly (or vehemently denied!), but it's there. And perhaps because I know Manoa personally, I'm more comfortable than perhaps I should be taking him to task.

I'll use this defense if Kimo55 ever comes back, too. I can argue with him, because I've also hugged him. (Speaking of vehement denials...)

Now, as to the topic, I actually have a relevant question. What's the connection?

How exactly did Punahou come to be scheduled to play against Eastlake? Is it just there are lots of Punahou alums at Eastlake (versus Prosser or Auburn) or in the area? I gather this Emerald City Kickoff Classic is a regional tradition... but Punahou's invite is purely an exhibition-type attraction, right? That is, one big party, so it's not like a Hawaii school is going to try and "win" a Washington school sports tournament?

This would be why I usually don't post in sports threads...

Comment

Goings Punahou- give 'em!!!! Us Hawaiians in the midwest are rooting for you guys!!!!
                          "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

I played football. I coach football. I watch all the games on television. How about the NFL channel on Dish Network....woo hooooo !!!!!

I go to every local football game I can possibly attend. I even flew to Oahu last year twice to scout teams. I know the difference between the West Coast Offense and the Run & Shoot, and what kinds of players I need to implement either. I helped Konawaena achieve a 10-1 record last year, and was villified for it. Hard to be a 10-1 coach in a district with a 6-5 mentality. Ironically, Konawaena lost to Kam 42-12 in the playoffs, but I was not on the sidelines. Ask any player from the class of 2006 and you will get an ear full. And not one single parent complained to the AD or the Principal about the way shit went down. Therein lies the root of the 6-5 comment. It's Hawaii - Keep your mouth shut. As you may know by now, I never keep my mouth shut. Bring It !

So this year I'm coaching the midget team in Pop Warner. You can't keep me away from football. I would commute to Oahu if I had to. I betcha we go undefeated.

Keep your eyes on Kealekehe this year. They got Clifton Walters running the program. He is a 6 time champion high school coach from Canada. And, you guessed it, about 1/2 the town in Kailua-Kona is critical (read scared) of him.

"Eh, brah, we no need your new ideas. We got our ways." It's a shame that the superior breed of athlete on Big Island is being raised by closed minded parents who are scared shitless of new ideas or better ideas.

My wife knows that from August to January, there is one priority. End of story.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

How exactly did Punahou come to be scheduled to play against Eastlake? Is it just there are lots of Punahou alums at Eastlake (versus Prosser or Auburn) or in the area? I gather this Emerald City Kickoff Classic is a regional tradition... but Punahou's invite is purely an exhibition-type attraction, right? That is, one big party, so it's not like a Hawaii school is going to try and "win" a Washington school sports tournament?
                              GEE PZ -

Wasn't it you that specifically said.

If you insist on flexing your brain muscles on "social-economical" issues, start another thread in "The Classroom." But here's a hint: don't bother.
                              So to answer your top question on how they come to be scheduled...

It goes to a "Social-Economical" issue!

Comment

Working...
                              X