• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is huge for Hawaii Aviation & Aloha

Aloha Air's new Chair: Godon Bethune

bizjournals.com
    Aloha Air's new chair: Gordon Bethune
    Wednesday August 30, 11:38 pm ET

Former Continental Airlines CEO Gordon Bethune has been named chairman of the board of Aloha Airgroup Inc., parent company of Aloha Airlines Inc.

"I've had the wonderful pleasure of knowing Gordon for many years," said Aloha CEO David Banmiller. "He is a dynamic industry leader with a proven track record of driving up customer, employee and company value."

"I have the utmost respect for Dave Banmiller and his senior management team in guiding Aloha during these challenging times for our industry," Bethune said. "I am honored to serve as chairman working with Dave and the 3,500 Aloha team members in our next phase of development."

Bethune ran Continental, then the fifth largest U.S. airline, from 1994 to 2004. Continental and American Airlines were the only two of the big five legacy carriers to avoid bankruptcy in the post-9/11 airline environment.

"We are fortunate to have a professional of Gordon's caliber, vision and experience join Aloha's board," said Ron Burkle, managing partner of The Yucaipa Companies, the majority owner of privately-held Aloha.

Bethune is a licensed commercial pilot, type-rated on Boeing 757 and 767 aircraft as well as the DC-3. Bethune also is licensed as an airframe and power plant mechanic. He serves on the boards of directors of Honeywell International Corporation, Sprint Nextel, Prudential Financial and the Willis Group.

Published August 30, 2006 by Pacific Business News
    GO WARRIORS!!

Re: This is huge for Hawaii Aviation & Aloha

Wow that's pretty impressive that the Board Chair is also a licensed airframe and powerplant mechanic as well as a pilot. I guess he knows his airplanes and airlines inside and out. That to me sounds like a good leader for Aloha.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Let's hope he does well for Aloha. Continental was one of the worst airlines in the industry before he got ahold of it, and improved their reputation. Even FAA staff refused to fly Continental, whenever possible, back in the late 1980s.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        Let's hope he does well for Aloha. Continental was one of the worst airlines in the industry before he got ahold of it, and improved their reputation. Even FAA staff refused to fly Continental, whenever possible, back in the late 1980s.
        Thats because before Bethune, Continental was being run (into the ground) by FRANK LORENZO, man known as "most hated man in Aviation"

Coincidentally, Mesa's & new Inter-Island carrier go's own union liken their own CEO to Lorenzo. Read this old press release about JONATHAN ORNSTEIN
        GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Originally posted by aloha-anon
          Thats because before Bethune, Continental was being run (into the ground) by FRANK LORENZO, man known as "most hated man in Aviation"
          I remember him well. I used to be married to a travel agent, and for several years, she specialized in government travel (hence my knowledge of the FAA's avoidance of Continental.) That description of Lorenzo is accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            That description of Lorenzo is accurate.
            Did you read the description of Ornstein? (go! CEO) Also very accurate.
            GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Working...
            X