Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Funky Bass

Bass Guitar this is.

I just bought Primus' Hallucino-Genetics Live 2004 concert DVD. Man, Les Claypool is amazing! He slaps that bass around like a rubberband. His voice is so odd and hillbilly-like, yet it totally compliments the bands overall style. "My Name is Mud" in this particular performance has so much added funk to it and Claypool's string-pulling speed is absolutely incredible.

Another stand-out in this type of bass style is Mark King of Level 42. Take a listen to "Love Games"... funky bass incorporated into pop music at its finest!

I also love the style of jazz bassist Stanley Clark; specifically his work with Return to Forever and the tracks he laid down on Al Di Meola's Land of the Midnight Sun album.

Geddy Lee of Rush can get funky too when he wants to. I need to rewatch my R30 DVD.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: That Funky Bass

Originally posted by Pomai
    Bass Guitar this is.

I just bought Primus' Hallucino-Genetics Live 2004 concert DVD. Man, Les Claypool is amazing! He slaps that bass around like a rubberband. His voice is so odd and hillbilly-like, yet it totally compliments the bands overall style. "My Name is Mud" in this particular performance has so much added funk to it and Claypool's string-pulling speed is absolutely incredible.

Another stand-out in this type of bass style is Mark King of Level 42. Take a listen to "Love Games"... funky bass incorporated into pop music at its finest!

I also love the style of jazz bassist Stanley Clark; specifically his work with Return to Forever and the tracks he laid down on Al Di Meola's Land of the Midnight Sun album.

Geddy Lee of Rush can get funky too when he wants to. I need to rewatch my R30 DVD.
    I love LC and Primus as well. Ever seen their set at Woodstock II? Spectacular! For funky bassists let's not forget Flea.

Now Stanley Clark and Al Di Meola and RTF, that's a blast from the past. Had all those records back in the day. Chick Correa too.
    Last edited by sinjin; August 31, 2006, 11:32 AM.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

For some especially hot Stanley Clarke bass lines, track down the two "Animal Logic" cds. The band included Stewart Copeland on drums, Deborah Holland on vocals, and a uncredited Andy Summers of the Police on guitar. Some really smart, well played, and crystal clear production pop music. Musically there's more on any of these discs that any 10 releases in 2006. Worth tracking down...

Comment

I'd also recommend "Rite Of Strings," a 1995 disc by Stanley Clarke, Al DiMeola & Jean-Luc Ponty. Last year, I saw a variation of this on tour, with Bela Fleck instead of DiMeola.

Comment

Two of my (recent) favorite bass albums:

Massive Grooves from the Electric Church of Psychofunkadelic Grungelism Rock Music by Poundhound. This is really Doug Pinnick of King's X solo, and it is a rumbly, grumbly, growly beast of an album. Pinnick is one of the most recognizable bass-players I can think of.

The Jelly Jam by The Jelly Jam. This is Ty Tabor (of King's X -- I'm a huge fan) with Rod Morgenstein (of the Dixie Dregs) on drums and John Myung (of Dream Theater) on bass. It's a kinda dreamy, funky, psychedelic thing with some of the best drumming I've ever heard, too.

Other bassists who make me go crazy are Rob Wasserman, Sean Malone of Gordian Knot (well, that's Stick, really, but still), Geddy Lee of Rush, Chris Squire of Yes, and Michael Manring.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: That Funky LOCAL Bass

Originally posted by scrivener
            Two of my (recent) favorite bass albums
            Have you got Nathan Aweau's Bassetude yet? Curious what you all think. I loved it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              Have you got Nathan Aweau's Bassetude yet? Curious what you all think. I loved it.
              Speaking of local bassists, Kainoa Delo of Kapena can pluck some funk too. He's done some pretty impressive solos at Duke's with their former drummer, Eddie, who was also amazing. Lately Kelly Boy's son, Kapena has been behind the sticks.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                I do, and I had been hoping for sometime that Aweau would do a bass-centric album, having seen how amazing he is live. Unfortunately, I found the album a little disappointing.

I know it is challenging to play clean melodic hammer-on lines, but there are a lot of intonation problems throughout the disc (listen to his otherwise-conceptually brilliant version of "Hawai`i Aloha" for one of the best examples.) I also felt that many of these recordings are technically strong, but less soulful than his usual playing.

It's a shame, because Aweau really is one of the best bass players around, not just in the Islands. I know he does much of his recording at his home studio, but I think he would benefit from having additional critical ears involved.

Having said all that, there are some standout tracks that are just killer, like "Come Together."

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  Speaking of local bassists, Kainoa Delo of Kapena can pluck some funk too. He's done some pretty impressive solos at Duke's with their former drummer, Eddie, who was also amazing. Lately Kelly Boy's son, Kapena has been behind the sticks.
                  Anyone know who the young lady that was on keyboards yesterday with Kapena.

She hit some chicken skin kine falsetto notes and held them!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                    Anyone know who the young lady that was on keyboards yesterday with Kapena.

She hit some chicken skin kine falsetto notes and held them!!!!!!
                    That most likely was Kelly Boyʻs daughter, Kalena.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                    X