Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Hawaii

Hi,
    I'm a 25 year old male that is going to be moving to Oahu for a job and i was wondering where a good place to live would be. Thanks for any suggestions you may have to offer.

Re: Moving to Hawaii

First of all, Aloha and Welcome to Hawaiithreads.com! I'm Auntie Lynn. You're in Luck. Do a search and you'll find many answers in our archives. Need more help, just ask. A good start is to check out the FAQ Section. (Palolo Joe, I couldn't resist)

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Where to live in Hawaii would depend on what kind of person you are, what kind of budget you have, and what sort of things you like to do. Also the rough location of your job?

Myself and others would be happy to help you if you tell us just a bit more. In my opinion, there's no one single place in Hawaii that is proper for 100% of newcomers.

Although if you're quite wealthy, Kahala and Diamond Head are prime real estate locations with a reasonably close commute to Honolulu.

Comment

I was 23 when I moved here from Florida so I think I have a clue about what you are facing. First thing to determine is where you are working. Honolulu proper may not be a large place, but commuting short distances can take a long time under the wrong circumstances (my 22 mile commute from Ewa Beach can take from 70 to 120 minutes each way). Presuming you find work in "town", I would recommend looking into the Makiki area. Lots of apartments, lots of people your age, a short commute, and you are close to all the "action" town has to offer. Makiki is 5 minutes from downtown, Waikiki, and UH. The downside is congestion, high rents, and the other negatives of "city life". If you want privacy and a place of your own be prepared to pay up to $1000 a month for a (small) apartment.

Housing is still tight, even with the cooling real estate market, so I would recommend not taking finding a place lightly. If you have family or friends here I would highly recommend enlisting thier help.

Read some of the other threads here about moving...read with an open mind and toss the rose colored glasses. Be humble and be willing to take advise.

Good luck with the move. It's been 20 years since I was in your shoes and consider my decision to stay here the best thing I've ever done.

Comment

LOL.... definately do not take looking for an apartment lightly! My g/f and I are about to decide to return to the mainland after only a month on Oahu. It's not that we can't continue... (as a matter of fact we have done real well getting jobs and etc.)... but the housing market is crazy(and I have been looking for months). Maybe I have had the worst luck with finding apartments, but all that we have applied for have been given to someone else(and yes, we have good credit and good rental history with local references). If you enjoy your current lifestyle in even the most minute way, you might want to rethink a move here...

FIRST, THE BAD...
          When we first planned our move, we thought we had it all planned out... "I'll live in a cheap place and I'll adjust!" Yea right, try your luck against 40 other applicants at the cheapest places for $1000(for 400 sq. ft. or less).

In case you want extra help finding a place, first know most realtors here don't give much thought about their rentals other than collecting the freakin' money. I have had 3 realtors cancel personal appointments to view apartments saying they "already rented the apartment", or realtors will have the current tennant(who just wants out of their bad deal) show you the apartment. Oh yea, and also remember much of Oahu's rental market is in severe need of a facelift.

Don't forget retirement! Try affording a place with your slowly depleting social security. Just wait 'til you see the homeless oldtimers.

Also, consider your commute. On top of slammed rush hours, consider schooltime traffic and how it will certainly defeat any extra-time you give yourself to "make it to work on time".

Once you factor in rent, automobile & gas, utilities, living expenses, and few leisure expenses with a single income and you'll be lucky breaking even. For many people here, the word "Savings" doesn't exist.

If you don't want to listen to the negative just know this... living here is horrendously difficult for us and we have family here helping us. My g/f is Hawaiian and she doesn't get special attention on her OWN land. Not to mention the Hawaiians on the mainland who can't afford to live on their OWN land.

OK, NOW THE GOOD...
          Spectacular intense scenery.
          Beaches are always good.
          People here have the ability to be really sweet.
          And, it is possible to make a dream come true here.

Unless you're a millionaire, you'll have to bust your sweet arse to make it here. However, between work and sleep you'll find some peace. Add a little racial tension, politics, and top it off with a big soveirgnty issue and your almost squared away.

I may have been a little extreme, but don't come here planning to make a home in a couple months when most locals have spent their whole lives attempting to just make ends meet. Between that and the huge Hawaiian mess listed above, it's probably a little easier to understand why you'll hear someone say "Stay on the mainland".

If you move here, I just hope you're pupule enough to stay. Cuz' for the price of a small, ex-hotel room studio here, I can get a 3 bedroom house on the mainland and still be sittin' pretty.

Otherwise, you'll learn when you get here.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt_bean
            [...]but all that we have applied for have been given to someone else(and yes, we have good credit and good rental history with local references).[...]
            Burnt_Bean...sorry to hear things aren't working out for you and your girlfriend but I think one of your previous posts gives a little insight into why the housing issue has been tough for you:
            Being young adults, neither my gf or I have any credit history(apart from her student loan). This would be our first apartment.
            In a tight rental market with people who do, in fact, have a good credit and rental history, realtors and landlords will give less priority to those who don't. IIRC, the 2 of you are 2 years out of high school. I think the age factor coupled with the lack of 'history' has been your stumbling block.

Comment

Not necessarily... we have good rental history with family back home... just not considered into our "paper rental history", we did however use it on our application. Also, the age thing hasn't been a problem with any realtor(not to mention that its illegal to discriminate by age). With all the places we have applied, our ability to pay rent(a.k.a. income) had been the determining factor. Like I said, I've talked with landlords and realtors about my situation. With all respect, please don't belittle me after all the work I have done to come this far. I don't have bad credit(in our case applying for an apartment with credit application hasn't mattered) there is no falacy in that. I'm not complaining about the rentals, I'm just saying this is what I'm dealing with. And in contrast to your view, things are working out! I could keep my job, fit in, and continue our lives here. But, just to live in Hawaii today? Nope! Sorry if I offended your view of your home, but you gotta be serious. I've been in Hawaii's rental market for months now, don't try to act like I have no clue what I'm doing. Love ya tutu.
              Last edited by burnt_bean; September 5, 2006, 09:17 PM.

Comment

burnt bean...

I hope if you do decide to move back to the mainland... that you can give first hand advice to those considering moving here.

It's not that we can't continue... (as a matter of fact we have done real well getting jobs and etc.)... but the housing market is crazy(and I have been looking for months).
                I guess you HAVEN'T done real well in getting jobs.... THAT would allow you to afford more than $1000.00 per month.

By my calculations that's only $500.00 per month each... that's not bad for a rental...

Maybe if you guys found jobs that would allow you more than $500.00 each...then you might have better luck finding a place that is more expensive.

Hope you guys do well one way or the other...

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  burnt bean...

I hope if you do decide to move back to the mainland... that you can give first hand advice to those considering moving here.

I guess you HAVEN'T done real well in getting jobs.... THAT would allow you to afford more than $1000.00 per month.

By my calculations that's only $500.00 per month each... that's not bad for a rental...

Maybe if you guys found jobs that would allow you more than $500.00 each...then you might have better luck finding a place that is more expensive.

Hope you guys do well one way or the other...
                  Jeez, you act like I couldn't do it. If I WANTED to stay here I could. I could afford to pay $1000 rent with my job alone. But also consider I want to go to school... and supporting my gf who would be full time student, plus expenses it adds up. I can't work 2 jobs here to make ends meet AND go to school. Another big determining factor is my gf doesnt really want to do UH anymore, so... if im here in support of her, whats the point? We can stay on the mainland and I can work one job, have a nice place, and go to school. In addition, we could afford to come visit family here... but if we lived here we couldn't afford to visit our immediate family.

Don't think I'm lame for not wanting to stay, cuz I love Hawaii... but before I get stuck in leases/car payments/etc. I like to rethink my situations and keep options open.

It's like everyone hates me. I haven't interrupted anyones life in anyway...
                  Last edited by burnt_bean; September 5, 2006, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Jeez, you act like I couldn't do it. If I WANTED to stay here I could. I could afford to pay $1000 rent with my job alone. But also consider I want to go to school... and supporting my gf who would be full time student, plus expenses it adds up. I can't work 2 jobs here to make ends meet AND go to school. Another big determining factor is my gf doesnt really want to do UH anymore, so... if im here in support of her, whats the point? We can stay on the mainland and I can work one job, have a nice place, and go to school. In addition, we could afford to come visit family here... but if we lived here we couldn't afford to visit our immediate family.

Don't think I'm lame for not wanting to stay, cuz I love Hawaii... but before I get stuck in leases/car payments/etc. I like to rethink my situations and keep options open.

It's like everyone hates me. I haven't interrupted anyones life in anyway...
                    Then I guess you didn't do your research as you initially posted...
                    FIRST, THE BAD...
                    When we first planned our move, we thought we had it all planned out... "I'll live in a cheap place and I'll adjust!" Yea right, try your luck against 40 other applicants at the cheapest places for $1000(for 400 sq. ft. or less).
                    had you looked into HT before moving here... we could have said something similar to what you posted earlier.
                    Cuz' for the price of a small, ex-hotel room studio here, I can get a 3 bedroom house on the mainland and still be sittin' pretty.
                    Like I have said before elsewhere.....many of us do work multiple jobs and go to school and support families...etc.

And I don't think anyone on Hawaiithreads hates you... I don't...!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      Then I guess you didn't do your research as you initially posted...

had you looked into HT before moving here... we could have said something similar to what you posted earlier.

Like I have said before elsewhere.....many of us do work multiple jobs and go to school and support families...etc.

And I don't think anyone on Hawaiithreads hates you... I don't...!
                      I did do my reseach. But my g/f and I primarily came here for school and to try to learn more about her family here. Those haven't proven good for us. I'm tired of trying to type it all out, so here... I'm not going to continue arguing on message boards about how I feel. I give my experience. I may have been a little pissed in my first post, but that's what I'm dealing with. If you really want to concern yourself with the minute details... call me... 722-6406.

Comment

another friendly suggestion... never post your number publicly in a message board.

You can PM me if you would like to answer any questions.

I don't need to call you... however, I hope there's no one out on HT that's interested in collecting a random number here and there and using it maliciously

Quick Burnt Bean... go in... edit out your number...

If you want!

Comment

its ok... ill have it changed if its a big deal... its a cell. I just want yall to know I'm pretty serious about what Im doing, and any critiques should be handled in the best way.

Comment

its ok... ill have it changed if its a big deal... its a cell. I just want yall to know I'm pretty serious about what Im doing, and any critiques should be handled in the best way.
                            Your filled with oxymorons right now... if you would have gotten serious before you moved to Hawaii... you wouldn't be in the perdicament your in now.

Comment

I am serious about making the best decision for myself and future. I'm sorry if you don't have options.

Comment

Working...
                              X