• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road rage incident claims bicyclist

Posted on: Saturday, September 2, 2006
    Bicyclist fatally beaten in suspected road rage
    By Curtis Lum
    Advertiser Staff Writer
    WAI'ANAE — An apparent road rage incident turned deadly last night when a bicyclist was savagely beaten to death by three men in front of a convenience store, police said.

The victim was a 47-year-old Wai'anae man who was attacked in the parking lot of the Wai'anae Market on Farrington Highway shortly before 6:30 p.m., police said.

The man was taken to the Wai'anae Coast Comprehensive Health Center, where he was pronounced dead. His name was not released.
    Last edited by admin; September 2, 2006, 05:16 PM. Reason: Post a link with article excerpts only.

Re: Road rage incident claims bicyclist

This sounds like an instance of thugs murdering someone more than anything else, but it raises important questions about the cycling climate in urban O'ahu. This island ought to be the most bike-friendly place in the country. Beautiful weather, environmental consciousness, and overly congested roadways are a recipe for a cycling town. Yet, riding a bike in Honolulu is a harrowing experience, and the bicycling infrastructure is seriously lacking.

Too bad.

Comment

This story is way too vague. Is this actually a bicyclist, an enthusiast, a jersey-wearing, energy-bar munching, shoes-with-clips bicyclist who ran into some creeps? And the same question pertains to the victim's girlfriend. Was she also a bicycle rider who we see exercising on the side of the road with her helmet on and water bottles in various cages?

Or are these a couple of regular folks on bobo beach bikes?

Or is this the result of a drug deal gone bad with people who live on the beach and have a couple of bikes?

Or what?
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I had the same thoughts myself, actually. That's why I was reluctant to say, "This just goes to show how tough it is being a cyclist..."

The article says that it was due to a traffic altercation, but that could mean a lot of things.

Comment

This isn't urban Honolulu by a longshot. This is Waianae, Oahu's West Side. I won't say wild, because the place has plenty of that peaceful, easy feeling going on about it. Ask Tutusue!

That's why I hope this story gets a follow up that answers all the holes.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

This story really shakes me. Just yesterday I was at that McDonalds and the Waianae Store. Waianae isn't known for powerbar munching, vitamin water sipping cyclists. For many people in that neck of the woods a bicycle is their only means of transportation. So, yah, is it a case of road rage? Drug induced road rage? A drug deal gone bad as lavagal points out? A domestic issue? Or any one of a number of other issues? I, too, hope to learn more details once they surface. That incident hit really close to home.

Comment

Linda Coble's story on KHON tonight really left me scratching my head.

One, she found a classmate of the victim to interview. But she introduced her by saying, "Ironically, one of the victim's classmates was having her nails done today, just a few feet away from where he was killed." How is that ironic?

But even more strangely, she closed her piece with a studio stand-up in which she said, "Some scientists now believe there is a genetic reason for road-rage..." Was she just waiting for the next road-rage story to bring it up? How is she sure it was just road-rage, or a more complicated confrontation? And doesn't the random mention of a scientific explanation for why some people get explosively violent somewhat minimize the impact of the crime? Those people may have beat him to death because it was in their genes?

Comment

I saw that, Ryan.

We asked ourselves the same thing. Ironic? I think not. Coincidental? More like it.
                Then she goes into seratonin and road rage. Still, what's the deal here? What the heck happened? I saw HPD's Bill Kato on the video. My favorite cop and neighbor. Maybe The papers tomorrow will have fleshed out this story more. I hope so. It's outrageous that simple questions are avoided, glossed over, ignored, and blown off by lazy reporters. I don't need a Google on road rage.

And on an aside, Ryan: EXELLENT job on your efforts at transcribing the debate and having a live thread during the event. Duly noted by Mr. Ian, and I think by Volcanic Ash.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Linda Coble's story on KHON tonight really left me scratching my head.

One, she found a classmate of the victim to interview. But she introduced her by saying, "Ironically, one of the victim's classmates was having her nails done today, just a few feet away from where he was killed." How is that ironic?[...]
                  I guess every, little tidbit helps to fill a story. There's a small, 2 story office building next door to the Waianae Store which is where, I assume, the manicure was taking place. I haven't noticed a manicurist or hair salon there but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist! I'd be surprised, however, if it was still open at 6:30-7p, when the beating took place. So, that's about as ironic or coincidental as my having been at the same McDonalds and the same Waianae Store on the same day...which I was.

For some reason, in my mind, "ice" keeps hovering over this incident like a big, gray cloud.

Comment

Posted by tutusue: I haven't noticed a manicurist or hair salon there ...
                    There actually is a nail salon right next to the store where the incident occurred.

This is a tragic & very sad incident, my prayers go out the victims family.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      But even more strangely, she closed her piece with a studio stand-up in which she said, "Some scientists now believe there is a genetic reason for road-rage..." Was she just waiting for the next road-rage story to bring it up? How is she sure it was just road-rage, or a more complicated confrontation? And doesn't the random mention of a scientific explanation for why some people get explosively violent somewhat minimize the impact of the crime? Those people may have beat him to death because it was in their genes?
                      The report said that there may be a "medical reason", caused by a condition called "intermittent explosive disorder". Heck, we always just call it a temper tantrum!

Comment

The Advertiser's Will Hover does a much thorough job explaining the story in today's paper, which is usually how it goes when it comes to getting a chance to follow an initial breaking-news report. It is senseless. Nobody helped.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                          It is senseless. Nobody helped.
                          The probabilities of someone interceding actually go down the more people are around. But with all the reports on this incident I've seen so far, with people unwilling to give their names even if they weren't about to name the suspects, tells me that this situation was something very few people would have dared to step into... whether due to the obvious threat of physical harm or to the implied sense that the offenders are known in the community and clearly the type to go after anyone who steps forward or speaks up.

It's awful and senseless and I wish someone might have helped, but the real criminals here are the ones that beat the guy up, not the people who happened to see it happen when stepping out for a half-gallon of milk.

Hoover's report also clarifies the incident that preceded the beating, over at McDonald's. A car cut off the bicyclist, and he decided to voice his displeasure. Apparently it turned physical there, first... the driver basically took off to get some reinforcements.

The story says the victim and his girlfriend concluded that "it wasn't worth fighting over," but by that point it was too late. The fight had started. I'd say it wasn't worth fighting over the moment that car cut the victim off. Frankly, having once been an avid cyclist in this town, asinine and dumbass drivers are about as common as potholes.

Comment

I know that I myself wouldn't have physically gotten involved... however, I would have been an astute observer and definately would have been able to give police details such as license # and descriptions of the attackers.

Hopefully I would have had my camera with me so that I truly could identify them to the police w/out having to rely on details from my brain.

What pz said about people not helping out is strangely true.

There was a psychological study done...and I can't remember the name of it... however, it proved that the more peope that were around to observe a crime... the less likely someone was willing to do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy
                              There actually is a nail salon right next to the store where the incident occurred. [...]
                              That's why I felt the need to qualify with..."but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.". Since I don't get manicures I'm not looking for or aware of those shops in the area. Is the nail salon in the small office building Makaha side of the Waianae Store?

Comment

Working...
                              X