The Democratic Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Democratic Machine

With the Senate race between Akaka and Case, a lot of talk has centered around the Democratic machine. Growing up in Hawaii, I knew vaguely how the political system worked, but never really got into the details. Now that I've moved back, it's interesting for me to reflect on the political history of the Islands.

I'm just finished up Land and Power in Hawaii, but unfortunately, there's not a lot of detail covering the Waihee years and afterwards. I'm trying to understand the different trends and contextualize them, whether it's Lingle's '02 victory, the corruption charges against Mayor Harris, Hanneman's come-from-behind win, Calvin Say's power and position compared to past House Speakers, the latest rounds of lawsuits against Kamehameha Schools, the demographic impact of the Cayetano years (i.e., the exodus of Hawaii people to the CONUS), and of course, Case's campaign against Akaka, particularly what it will mean in a post-Inouye Hawaii.

One of the most frequently cited terms in connection with these discussions is the "Democratic machine" or the "old-boy network." I don't doubt either exist, since the Democrats have held control for so long. But who exactly is part of this machine? Who runs it? What are the factions in the machine and what factors have contributed to its decline in power (assuming, of course, that it has declined)? When I try to discuss these power plays, I get a lot of "no like talk 'bou dat kine stuff" or, even more irritatingly, delphic phrases that only hint, but don't tell.

It occurs to me that the Internet provides the perfect opportunity to discuss this. There's no fear of retaliation or being politically incorrect, because we can choose anonymity. I'm conscious that this has its downsides, like smears being planted, but I'm trusting that the discussion itself will eventually expose those kinds of motives. Maybe that's too much Wikipedia-esque idealism, but I'm willing to take that risk.

Who is the Democratic machine, how do they work, what is happening to them now, and what impact will that have on Hawaii? In other words, what is the political story of Hawaii and how is it likely to continue?

So now, my elders (if not in age, then certainly in knowledge and wisdom), I'll sit down and hear what you have to say.

(P.S. I'm also fairly certain that there's a "Republican machine" in the works as well. I only titled this thread "The Democratic Machine" because the Democrats are usually seen as more influential, but feel free to tell me about the Republicans as well).

Re: The Democratic Machine

John, you have about 27 different topics in this one posting. You might be able to get more information if you narrowed it down to just one question at a time. I wouldn't even know where to start in responding to you.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

E kala mai ia'u. I realize this is a pretty big topic; I just wanted to be able to look at it from different dimensions. I guess to start, my question would be: who leads the Democratic machine? I've always heard Senator Inouye is the "godfather", but who else is there? Just the prominent politicians or are there others? Mahalo!

Comment

http://www.pd-hawaii.com/

Maybe someone over there can give you a good answer.

There was some banking scandal that was tied to it a while back!
        Last edited by damontucker; September 3, 2006, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the incoherence, but you started a rambly topic

There are people who have worked in/led the democratic party for decades who are not politicians (like Jimmy Toyama). But they are nevertheless powerful behind the scenes. I don't purport to have anywhere near a comprehensive or an "insider's" knowledge but of course there are "factions" inside the party (as there tend to be in any large organization) of the old guard, the "rainbow" coalition, the conservative and the liberal.

You can't overlook the importance of race in politics in Hawaii. The Democratic party here grew in power not in small part because it started off as the party of the immigrants and their families here and there were a lot of us . But, as I understand it, eventually the view that one had to be a democrat to be elected spread so people who were republicans switched parties just to get elected. So the designations of "democrat" and "republican" weren't a true reflection of the politican's basic views. Also, as time passed, the "working for the workers" attribution to the democratic party became more removed or more blurred between the parties.

I think the view that the democrats got too complacent and lost touch with "the people" spread in the past few years led to a decrease in the democratic party's support and power. I know people who voted for Lingle because even if she turned out to be bad, she at least would be a change. (Note: I'm not saying that Lingle was/is bad or that there is no other reason to vote for or against her, just that I know people who said that was their basis for voting for her).

Comment

I'd say it's a loosely-tied-together conglomeration of the unions, the current pols and some of the retired ones. I don't think there's much question that Senator Inouye is regarded as the leader, but it's more out of habit than by his actions at this date.

I don't know how much pull the three Democratic ex-Governors have. I think Ariyoshi is into lending his name to corporate boards and making money; Waihee and Cayetano are both keeping pretty low profiles, as far as I can tell.

Frankly, I think the "machine" is fading. Politics is a lot more personality-driven these days than it used to be.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Just a FYI to everyone - the Progressive Democrats are a caucus within the Democratic party structure. The same as the Hawaiian Issues Caucus which I belong to. The various caucus groups are a very good source of information and anyone who is interested in how the party works might think about joining one of the caucus groups - there are many. You can check them out at the official Dem website www.hawaiidemocrats.org

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              http://www.pd-hawaii.com/

Maybe someone over there can give you a good answer.

There was some banking scandal that was tied to it a while back!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

and the so-called "banking scandal" as Manoa put it was a campaign contribution that was perhaps shaky on ethics grounds. The person who made that decision is no longer working at Party Headquarters. New chairs at both the state and county levels were recently elected and that problem will not happen again. Thats an example of what can happen when a person gets put in a position of power who may not have been well informed as to what can & cannot be done with party funds.
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

While Sen. Inouye is considered the senior democrat of the party and is extremely well respected, he is not the "head" of the party. That person would be the Chair of the party at the state level. The chair is elected by party members at Convention, by all the delegates representing their districts. There is also leadership at all the county levels, also elected by delegates to the county conventions.

While there are certainly many persons of influence within the party, and many groups participating in party activities, I don't honestly think you can say that there is some hidden group of puppet-masters, pulling the strings.

Politics are strange & fascinating - many different personalities & agendas going on, especially in an election year like this one. and this goes for ALL political parties, not just the Democrats. and there will be a lot of stuff going on that you may not agree with - just like within any other group. Politics at the party level just has more influence on our lives than say, the politics of membership at the Elks Club (as an example).

If you truly want to learn how it works - join a party & become active in your district. Then YOU can have influence on what goes on within that party.

(the above was posted by a proud, card-carrying Democrat)

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                  I'd say it's a loosely-tied-together conglomeration of the unions, the current pols and some of the retired ones. I don't think there's much question that Senator Inouye is regarded as the leader, but it's more out of habit than by his actions at this date.

I don't know how much pull the three Democratic ex-Governors have. I think Ariyoshi is into lending his name to corporate boards and making money; Waihee and Cayetano are both keeping pretty low profiles, as far as I can tell.

Frankly, I think the "machine" is fading. Politics is a lot more personality-driven these days than it used to be.
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                    While Sen. Inouye is considered the senior democrat of the party and is extremely well respected, he is not the "head" of the party. That person would be the Chair of the party at the state level. The chair is elected by party members at Convention, by all the delegates representing their districts. There is also leadership at all the county levels, also elected by delegates to the county conventions.

While there are certainly many persons of influence within the party, and many groups participating in party activities, I don't honestly think you can say that there is some hidden group of puppet-masters, pulling the strings.

Politics are strange & fascinating - many different personalities & agendas going on, especially in an election year like this one. and this goes for ALL political parties, not just the Democrats. and there will be a lot of stuff going on that you may not agree with - just like within any other group. Politics at the party level just has more influence on our lives than say, the politics of membership at the Elks Club (as an example).

If you truly want to learn how it works - join a party & become active in your district. Then YOU can have influence on what goes on within that party.

(the above was posted by a proud, card-carrying Democrat)
                    anapuni... i believe the original question was about the "Machine"
                    Who is the Democratic machine, how do they work, what is happening to them now, and what impact will that have on Hawaii?
                    And I take the word "Democratic Machine" as being a bunch of people, politicians, non-politicians, people with $, Corporations, etc.
                    and I have often heard of Sen. Inouye being referenced as the head of this machine.
                    Sen. Inouye, the 78-year-old patriarch of the state's Democratic Party, senses that his party machine is now under great pressure. "We're fighting for our political lives!
                    http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110002478 Thursday, October 17, 2002 12:01 a.m. EDT

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      anapuni... i believe the original question was about the "Machine"
                      I would disagree with most of Linkmeister’s post, nonetheless. Just IMHO, ofcourse. I’d leave it at that, but someone will ask so, here goes:

1. The conglomeration also include insiders who are neither a union leader, a current pol or a former pol. Yet these are some of the most powerful of the conglomeration.

2. The conglomeration is only loosely-tied between unions and everyone else mentioned (and that is a fairly recent development). Everyone else, believe me, is very closely tied.

3. Senator Inouye’s actions definitely have as much to do with his leadership position as force of habit. Inouye is one of the most influential and powerful politicians in Washington, D.C. and his ability to bring home the bacon is just part of the proof (just ask U.S. PIRG). As Anapuni pointed out, this doesn’t necessarily make him the head of the party (in name), but it also doesn’t make the chairperson have any more power than him (though M.M. is a much bigger leaguer than B.G.). Still more a figurehead than captain.

4. Keeping a low profile is generally considered a practice of the more powerful rather than the less, as the louder ones generally are that way out of necessity. Case in point: L.M.

5. The one thing I do agree with is that the Dems are fading. But politics are cyclical. They can shore things up. This year’s election is not as key for Dems as it is for the GOP, contrary to popular belief. The expectation and pressure is now on them to put more Republicans in office after losing numbers last time.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Democrat Politics depends upon the weak, feeble, unable, stupid, indigent, homeless, drug-addled, and the like. "You can't possibly make it on your own, that's why we are so important in your life. You need us."

I sit here, with no college degree, and a dirt poor childhood, having scratched and clawed and fought my way to a position as a homeowner, businessowner, husband, father, volunteer coach for kids, and a host of other good things, workin 14 hrs a day, 7 days a week, while Democrat politics tries to take what I have and give it to someone "less fortunate".

If all men are created equal, why do some fail in the game of life? Funny how liberals will subscribe to Darwin for every species except humans.

I truly believe that YOU can make it on your own. That's why I would NEVER subscribe to Democrat philosophy.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                          Democrat Politics depends upon the weak, feeble, unable, stupid, indigent, homeless, drug-addled, and the like. "You can't possibly make it on your own, that's why we are so important in your life. You need us."

I sit here, with no college degree, and a dirt poor childhood, having scratched and clawed and fought my way to a position as a homeowner, businessowner, husband, father, volunteer coach for kids, and a host of other good things, workin 14 hrs a day, 7 days a week, while Democrat politics tries to take what I have and give it to someone "less fortunate".

If all men are created equal, why do some fail in the game of life? Funny how liberals will subscribe to Darwin for every species except humans.

I truly believe that YOU can make it on your own. That's why I would NEVER subscribe to Democrat philosophy.
                          Dang TK...

Hostile response!!!

If it weren't for the less fortunate... you wouldn't be fortunate. You can't have one with out the other.

You sound like my mothers parents who were so disappointed in my mothers choice of a husband that they wouldn't even let me in there house until she divorced him!

Manoa
                          Last edited by damontucker; September 4, 2006, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Well Manoa, I guess my response could be interpreted as hostile. But if motivating a person to make a go of their life is a mission you interpret as hostile, then I think you underestimate people by a mile.

Everybody can make it !
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Everyone may be able to make it (barring serious physical or psychological difficulties) but none of us makes it on our own. Whether the government helps us or our neighbors or churches or mentors or friends, none of us finds success in isolation.

Comment

Working...
                              X