RIP The Crocodile Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP The Crocodile Hunter

How ironic that he would die from a stingray instead of a croc.
    Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/..._tv/obit_irwin

I guess all the crocodiles in the world are having a party tonight

RIP The Crocodile Hunter

Steve Irwin died from a stingray barb.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapc...win/index.html

He was often criticized for grandstanding but he did bring a lot of attention to our environment and to endangered animals. I also admired him for building up a little roadside attraction to the Australia Zoo.
    Last edited by Adri; September 3, 2006, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Re: Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin Killed by Stingrays...

Oops, you fast Manoa. I'd delete or merge my thread into yours but I dunno how.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        How ironic that he would die from a stingray instead of a croc.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/..._tv/obit_irwin

I guess all the crocodiles in the world are having a party tonight
        I knew his wife she is from my town!! How very sad

I feel so sad for his children and wife
        Last edited by blueyecicle; September 3, 2006, 08:52 PM.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

He was barbed right through the heart. Man, the poor guy. It was expected considering his line of work but still utterly shocking. RIP Mr. Croc Hunter...crikey
          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Very Sad, I thought he was just great, and so entertaining.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Re: RIP The Crocodile Hunter

Yeah Mate, this is too bad. Leaving behind a wife and small children, too. Wacky and silly and a bit sensational, but colorful nonetheless. And it's an interesting way for him to go. And this is one beast no one could make a mental connection with. Put yourself at risk and accept the consequences. RIP, Steve.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                Yeah Mate, this is too bad. Leaving behind a wife and small children, too. Wacky and silly and a bit sensational, but colorful nonetheless. And it's an interesting way for him to go. And this is one beast no one could make a mental connection with. Put yourself at risk and accept the consequences. RIP, Steve.
                I absolutely despised his TV show. I thought it immensely horrifying when he dangled his infant child in front of a crocodile.

Personally, I thought he was an idiot. I would never wish him such a fate, though. What a waste.

Comment

I always thought that a croc would get him someday. Apparently not in this final case. Still I remember he used to always stress keeping safe and not have viewers at home try these things themselves. Still he pushed his limits, endangering his young child (as mentioned already) and now finally doing himself in.

At least he was out there doing what he loved. It's a tragic end, but that risk comes with the territory he worked in.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

While I was disappointed in him for the handling of his infant around the crocs, I thoroughly enjoyed Steve and Terri and their show for years. I, for one, will really miss the bloke. Such sad news but at least he died doing what he loved.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                      I always thought that a croc would get him someday. Apparently not in this final case. Still I remember he used to always stress keeping safe and not have viewers at home try these things themselves. Still he pushed his limits, endangering his young child (as mentioned already) and now finally doing himself in.

At least he was out there doing what he loved. It's a tragic end, but that risk comes with the territory he worked in.
                      IMHO, he took unnecessary risks in the name of sensationalism. He obviously loved living on the edge and it was his ultimate downfall.

I did watch some of his shows and cringed in disgust. I truly believe he was neither amusing nor educational. Perhaps he was one of those inveterate risk-taking personalities that absolutely believed he would never fall victim to the perils he challenged. I've seen studies where it's been shown that these types of personalities just do not comprehend the dangers inherent in their actions. I would like to think that he had no idea of the horrific dangers he exposed his child to when he dangled him in front of a crocodile. To believe otherwise would be unthinkable.

Nonetheless, it's a sad passing...

Comment

I always thought the things he did were just unnecessary and dumb. Particularly what he did to his own infant.

Take enough risks and the odds catch up sooner or later.

Still, I figured he'd probably die from something mundane like slipping in a bathtub or tripping down the stairs.

Comment

He died pushing the envelope, doing what he loved. He was an inspiration to couch potatoes everywhere.

He was also a pretty decent surfer. Just imagine him in his khakis in the lineup talking story. No one would want to catch a wave.

My condolences to Terri and the children.

Crikey, mate. You will be missed.
                          Last edited by nachodaddy; September 4, 2006, 06:30 AM.
                          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

WTF!?? No F________ING WAY! HOLY SCHEISSEN! Damn. I really can't believe this happened. A stingray killed him? It must have pierced his heart or lungs cause I've never heard of a stingray with potent enough venom to take down a fit adult human.
                            "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                            "But I can't even read good."
                            "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                            "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Entry from the Wikipedia on stingrays (emphasis added):

Dasyatids generally do not attack aggressively, or even actively defend themselves. When threatened their primary reaction is to swim away. However, when they are attacked by predators or stepped on, the barbed stinger in their tail is mechanically whipped up. This attack is normally ineffective against their main predator-- sharks [1]. Humans are usually stung in the foot; it is also possible, although less likely, to be stung by brushing against the stinger. Contact with the stinger causes local trauma (from the cut itself), pain and swelling from the venom, and possible infection from parts of the stinger left in the wound, as well as from seawater entering the wound. Injuries to humans include, but are not limited to, venomization, punctures, severed arteries and possible death though extremely unlikely. Fatal stings, such as that which killed Australian naturalist and TV-personality Steve Irwin [2], are extremely rare (as of 1996, worldwide known deaths from stingray barb injuries numbered 17) [3], but can occur if a sting punctures the heart or chest, causing complications due to both the sting's location and the poison in the barbs.
                              Complete article at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X