the song lahainaluna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the song lahainaluna

my dad would like me to make a cassette tape for him with various versions of the old song lahainaluna. i thought it'd be easy to find, say, 5 versions by going to towerrecords.com and just buying/downloading the various versions but they apparently only sell by the "album" so my question to you is whether you know of a place where a person can pay for and download various versions of an old song like lahainaluna.

thanks!

(i forgot to add that i'd gladly pay anyone a dollor or two if you send me an mp3 version of the old song.
    Last edited by shaveice; September 3, 2006, 11:17 PM.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: the song lahainaluna

The iTunes Music Store! Brittni Paiva, Dennis Pavao, Kealii Reichel, The Makaha Sons, Ohta San, The New Hawaiian Band, Buddy Merrill, Don Ho, The All-Star Hawaiian Band, Dan Fogelberg, George Kahumoku & Daniel Ho... one-stop shopping!

By the way, nabbing the MP3 from someone else is skechy, but paying money for it is even worse!

Comment

And keep in mind, there are two distinct songs with that same title. I'm sure you are probably after the popular English-language one, so don't confuse it with the one recorded by Keali`i Reichel (with Ho`okena.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        And keep in mind, there are two distinct songs with that same title. I'm sure you are probably after the popular English-language one, so don't confuse it with the one recorded by Keali`i Reichel (with Ho`okena.)

Lol, that happened to me last night, as I browsed through my ..errr... "sources"

I didn't realize Keali'i Reichel had done a song that is VERY different from the old Lahinaluna I remember singing in all my gutar-playing friends backyards over multiple beers and bbq
        It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Comment

There's also an old-style version of it on the "A Place Called Hawaii 2" CD performed by Danny Kaleikini, which is, umm, very Danny Kaleikini-ish. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it may appeal to those of the bygone "Hawaii Calls" era.
          Last edited by lurkah; September 4, 2006, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            The iTunes Music Store! Brittni Paiva, Dennis Pavao, Kealii Reichel, The Makaha Sons, Ohta San, The New Hawaiian Band, Buddy Merrill, Don Ho, The All-Star Hawaiian Band, Dan Fogelberg, George Kahumoku & Daniel Ho... one-stop shopping!

By the way, nabbing the MP3 from someone else is skechy, but paying money for it is even worse!
            . . . . . . . . .
            thanks for the tip. although i've used macs for years, i've never gotten into itunes or ipods. i'll check out the itunes site tonight. i presume i'll be able to burn my own music cd for my dad after i download the songs from the itunes site, right?

yeah, i prefer the older version(s) of the song lahainaluna. i lived on maui for about 7 years and i miss the old lahaina. there's no way it'll ever be the sleepy town i remember but the song always brings back good old memories and that's what my father is after...
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
              my dad would like me to make a cassette tape for him with various versions of the old song lahainaluna. i thought it'd be easy to find, say, 5 versions by going to towerrecords.com and just buying/downloading the various versions but they apparently only sell by the "album" so my question to you is whether you know of a place where a person can pay for and download various versions of an old song like lahainaluna.

thanks!

(i forgot to add that i'd gladly pay anyone a dollor or two if you send me an mp3 version of the old song.
              Aloha,

I strongly recommend going to mele.com, looking up Lahainaluna, and buying the CD's you want. There are lots of incredible versions out there. One of the best is by the Makaha Sons. I also like Danny Kalikini's version and Don Ho's live version with the Aliis.
              'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth
                Aloha,

I strongly recommend going to mele.com, looking up Lahainaluna, and buying the CD's you want. There are lots of incredible versions out there. One of the best is by the Makaha Sons. I also like Danny Kalikini's version and Don Ho's live version with the Aliis.
                thanks for the tip. i didn't know about the site which looks good. the downside, however, is that my dad just wants me to make a tape for him with only the song lahainaluna (various versions). of course, i could buy all the various cds but i'm on a budget!

Comment

For track-by-track shopping, iTunes is probably your simplest bet. You don't need an iPod. The software is free and operates identically on Windows and Mac OSX, and you can burn an audio CD relatively quickly. It's almost too easy -- I suspect Apple has gotten several hundred bucks from us this year alone in iTMS sales!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    For track-by-track shopping, iTunes is probably your simplest bet. You don't need an iPod. The software is free and operates identically on Windows and Mac OSX, and you can burn an audio CD relatively quickly. It's almost too easy -- I suspect Apple has gotten several hundred bucks from us this year alone in iTMS sales!
                    perfect! that's what i'm looking for: i just wanna buy and download single songs (the same song but by various artists and then burn my own cd and then move it to a cassette tape for my dad). thanks for the info. i didn't think the itunes store would have a good selection of hawaiian songs!

Comment

sorry to bring this up again but my dad now wants a version of the old song sung entirely in hawaiian. as far as i know, the songs available at the itunes site doesn't include a song like that so i was wondering if anyone here knows of a version where it's sung entirely in hawaiian?

thanks...

Comment

sorry to bring this up again but my dad now wants a version of the old song sung entirely in hawaiian. as far as i know, the songs available at the itunes site doesn't include a song like that so i was wondering if anyone here knows of a version where it's sung entirely in hawaiian?

thanks...
                        Keali'i Reichel's version is all in Hawaiian, but as Kahuluu Chrome and Leo mentioned, it's different (more like the way the students of Lahainaluna sing their alma mater). I think Keali'i attended Lahainaluna.

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; September 18, 2006, 08:49 AM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

thanks...
                          As noted, there are two different songs titled "Lahainaluna."

The most-recorded one ("I am going to the island of the valley...") was written in English by Kui Lee; as for a recording of a translation into Hawaiian, I don't know of any.

The alma mater of Lahainaluna High School is the older of the two songs, written by Albert Kaleikini around the turn of the previous century; it's in Hawaiian, and is the one recorded by Keali`i Reichel.

If your dad is seeking the former, I don't know that any exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            As noted, there are two different songs titled "Lahainaluna."

The most-recorded one ("I am going to the island of the valley...") was written in English by Kui Lee; as for a recording of a translation into Hawaiian, I don't know of any.

The alma mater of Lahainaluna High School is the older of the two songs, written by Albert Kaleikini around the turn of the previous century; it's in Hawaiian, and is the one recorded by Keali`i Reichel.

If your dad is seeking the former, I don't know that any exists.
                            yup, he's looking for the one written by kui lee i'm also unaware of any recording of it but i'll keep looking... thanks.

Comment

yup, he's looking for the one written by kui lee i'm also unaware of any recording of it but i'll keep looking... thanks.
                              If you find it, you gotta let us know - that would be something to hear.
                              Years ago, Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom & Willie K did an album ("Nostalgia"), consisting mostly of hapa-haole songs translated into `olelo Hawai`i; I'd love to hear more of that. Of course, non-Island songs translated into Hawaiian are fascinating to me as well: "Rainbow Connection" (Cazimeros) & "Imagine" (Nohelani Cypriano) come immediately to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X