Why is Education Important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Education Important?

Most of us, I think, would agree that education is important and that we want our children to be educated. But why? I've heard different responses on this. Some people argue that knowledge has an inherent value. Others point to the job market and note the increase in average pay as one earns more degrees. Still others claim that an educated citizenry is essential to democracy.

Do you believe education is important? If so, why?

Re: Why is Education Important?

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance."
    - Ali ibn Abi-Talib

Comment

I would like my children to have a fuller life than I have known. I can't see how that can happen without broad horizons. Knowledge broadens one's horizon. I believe I am not alone.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by John Maple
        Most of us, I think, would agree that education is important and that we want our children to be educated. But why? I've heard different responses on this. Some people argue that knowledge has an inherent value. Others point to the job market and note the increase in average pay as one earns more degrees. Still others claim that an educated citizenry is essential to democracy.
        I would agree with all of those things and add that the practice of gathering knowledge itself is a worthy habit. For the people you'll meet, the contacts you'll have later in life when you need them, and the ability to go out there and find any information you may need in the future. Plus it staves off late-life dementia -- your brain is a muscle like any other in your body, keep working it and it'll last longer

In some ways I kinda regret spending so much money and time on college, all things considered in my situation, but that's when I'm thinking of the piece of paper hanging on the wall. The time I spent there, the people I met, and the experience I gained were definitely worth it.

You can guess when you say "education" I'm thinking of something broader than institutions of learning...

Comment

The day you stop to learn - Is the day you cease to exist!A.L.

Education to me is the foundation of a good life. It is the tool in which opens the doors to all that exist. I am 50 years old. I still learn and absorb information every chance I can. Knowledge is learned not born with. Our minds is a unique instrument in which hungers to be fed. It's capabilities are far to vast to comprehend it's full potential. Education means to be free of poverty. To be able to assist others less fortunate than myself. It means I can teach my granchildren what I have learned in Life as I have taught my children. Education ~ Yes, Education is Important!

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; September 6, 2006, 06:47 AM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No one can become really educated without having pursued some study in which he took no interest. For it is part of education to interest ourselves in subjects for which we have no aptitude. ~ T S Eliot

The one real object of education is to leave a man in the condition of continually asking questions. ~ Bishop Creighton

The ability to think straight, some knowledge of the past, some vision of the future, some skill to do useful service, some urge to fit that service into the well-being of the community - these are the most vital things education must try to produce. ~ Virginia Gildersleeve

If you think education is expensive - try ignorance. ~ Derek Bok

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to treat everything as though it were a nail. ~ Abraham Maslow

Education makes a people easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy to govern, but impossible to enslave. ~ Lord Brougham

The direction in which education starts a man will determine his future life. ~ Plato

Knowledge is power. ~ Francis Bacon

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. ~ Benjamin Franklin

I could go on and on with this... I'll close it with this appropriate one:

Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading. ~ G M. Trevelyan

Comment

It's all about brain development...the more you feed it the more it grows. The less you feed it...well it becomes stupid. Then you need to feed it those Stupid Pills we were talking about in another thread.

At some point though education in the traditional sense has it's limits and then you need to work that knowledge so you can continue to let the brain grow in other areas.

Basically there's only so much that an institution of higher learning (college) can teach you...the rest is out there in the real world where you have to fit those missing pieces to make knowledge of the world complete.

Or you can venture out into the world and learn Reality 101...something colleges cannot teach but the world as a classroom can.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by John Maple

Do you believe education is important? If so, why?
                All of the above. Plus, in today's technological society, an educated citizenry is a more economically productive one. Considering all the Chinese and Indian engineering grad students you see these days in American universities, it's no wonder that those countries are on the rise.

Comment

I understand that Singapore is requiring all of its citizens to learn how to use computers (well, except for the very old and the seriously disabled) because they believe that that will help the whole country be stronger and more competitive in the world market and help the citizens learn more. Strangely, I think if someone proposed that the US require all of its citizens to learn how to use computers, we'd have a group of people protesting: "No one can force me to learn how to use computers! It's my constitutional right to not know how to use computers!"

Comment

Where does it say that in the constition?
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

*pokes craigwatanabe * Doesn't. But 'murricans tend to argue that most anything they want to do is a Constitutional right. I had an interesting discussion with a Brit about whether the US legal system is weaker or stronger for having a Constitution (he argued that the UKers had the same rights as an ingrained "basic human rights" doctrine without relying upon such a document so those rights would be harder to take away because it can't be done just by amending the document.)

Back on topic: I do think that many people believe that educational diplomas and degrees increase the chances of earning a higher income. I think that education has many forms and all of them increase our chances of success if only that they help make us well rounded (not in the fat sense, but in the sense of having broad exposure to ideas and creations *g*) people.

Comment

What kind of education are we talking about?

School is important because, these days, it's hard to get a good job without having a degree. The competition is rough, I bet.

But you always have to educate a younger generation to be able to survive in a world that is so advanced (technologically, etc.), and be able progress. To be able to do this, they have to have the foundation right? This is what elementary/middle/high schools and colleges provide.

I just heard this quote awhile ago, not sure where (maybe on here?):
                        Mark Twain, "I never let schooling get in the way of my education."

Education, in general, is important because it enhances your ability, your character, the world, etc.
                        It's magic, you know.

Comment

Knowledge and wisdom (hopefully people learn that too...albeit more slowly) are the world's most infinitely portable possessions. No matter where you go it's right there with you.

Jewlipino

Comment

Education is crucial. Thinking is crucial for our advancement (as a species, not just as an individual). However a lot of stuff they are teaching in the primary schools these days is outdated and useless in this day and age. I think the education system needs an overhaul, children today aren't the children of the 1950's. So I believe children should continue to recieve education and itellectual stimulation but I believe school needs to be way more dynamic, and shouldn't force everyone along the same path. That's how you wind up with so many people that loathe school, they have aspirations that are stunted by the stuffy 12+ years spent in the current primary schools.
                            "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                            "But I can't even read good."
                            "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                            "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

^ and yeah the above is sloppily written, but after a long day I could only care enough to write up this second post.
                              "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                              "But I can't even read good."
                              "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                              "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X