the protector (tony jaa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the protector (tony jaa)

for those of you who enjoy martial arts movies, i think you might enjoy this one called "the protector".

for general info: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809423644/info

to watch the trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/weinst...eprotector/hd/

the thai guy is amazing and does all of his stunts.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: the protector (tony jaa)

imo, his first movie, 'ong bak' was better. the original name of this one is 'tom yung goong'. see my reply in the asian cult movie thread for other recommendations.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
      imo, his first movie, 'ong bak' was better. the original name of this one is 'tom yung goong'. see my reply in the asian cult movie thread for other recommendations.
      hi hellbent. for what it's worth, i thoroughly enjoyed the first one too but i prefer this second one (not by much, though, cuz i like both a lot).
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

hi shaveice, i dont want to say what i didnt like about it without giving away spoilers, but one part of tom yung goong was a bit too long. i dont mean to say i didnt like it, some of the stunts were awesome but a bit too set up. if youve seen 'born to fight' (same director but no tony jaa) you know what i mean.
        have you seen banlieu 13 (district 13)? theres some great stunts in there too.
        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

hi shaveice, i dont want to say what i didnt like about it without giving away spoilers, but one part of tom yung goong was a bit too long. i dont mean to say i didnt like it, some of the stunts were awesome but a bit too set up. if youve seen 'born to fight' (same director but no tony jaa) you know what i mean.
          have you seen banlieu 13 (district 13)? theres some great stunts in there too.
          nope, haven't seen it yet but i don't doubt i'll love it. i think our disagreement is incredible tiny compared to the fun we both get out of watching these movies.

Comment

oh, its a minor disagreement. it didnt suck, i just prefer ong bak. that banleiu 13 has that crazy french running thing, i think its called parke?
            definately see if you can catch any of the movies in the cult asian thread. someone named battle royale, which one of my all time favorites. not the same style movie as ong bak, but its pretty entertaining.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

oh, its a minor disagreement. it didnt suck, i just prefer ong bak. that banleiu 13 has that crazy french running thing, i think its called parke?
              definately see if you can catch any of the movies in the cult asian thread. someone named battle royale, which one of my all time favorites. not the same style movie as ong bak, but its pretty entertaining.
              i did see battle royale and it wasn't quite my type of movie. i probably didn't like it cuz it's such a disturbing concept. for mindless entertainment, i prefer a simple good guy/bad guy situation where the good guy kicks the bad guy's butt. i should add, however, that there have been many times when i've wished for the "bad" guy(s) to get away with something, like a bank heist, but only if they were "good at heart". i think inside man http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Man-Wid...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd was a movie like that for me. i was happy to see clive walk away without being arrested.

and movies like ichi the killer are just too violent for my taste.

did you enjoy jet li's "fearless"? some very good fight scenes!

Comment

fearless was AWESOME! when its released later this month (in the US) its going to blow up.
                i havent watched ichi the killer, im not into ultraviolence anymore.
                funny, i watched inside man last night. it was good too.
                you might like shinobi, SPL, or new police story, they have awesome fight scenes too.
                the whole point of battle royale was mindless entertainment, after all the premise alone is ridiculous.
                look! its our own private thread!
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

fearless was AWESOME! when its released later this month (in the US) its going to blow up.
                  i havent watched ichi the killer, im not into ultraviolence anymore.
                  funny, i watched inside man last night. it was good too.
                  you might like shinobi, SPL, or new police story, they have awesome fight scenes too.
                  the whole point of battle royale was mindless entertainment, after all the premise alone is ridiculous.
                  look! its our own private thread!
                  ha! ha! you're right! okay, you be the administrator and keep everyone in line! ha! ha!

yeah, i liked inside man. one thing in particular that was fun for me was watching the jodie foster character cuz you know that there are people like that in the shadows!

haven't watched battle royale 2 and i doubt i ever will. i watched ichi cuz someone loaned me the dvd and it wasn't much fun. just too violent and bloody. i will say, however, that i liked old boy very much. whoever that actor is, he did a great job of transforming himself from a mild businessman into a fringe madman! and the twist at the end was a great surprise!

have you seen "so close"? http://www.amazon.com/So-Close-Corey...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd i thought it was a fun movie to watch and easy on the eyes.

Comment

im pretty sure ive seen 'so close' but it doesnt stick in my mind... i think ive rented it twice too.
                    battle royale 2 wasnt as great as the first, since the director had passed away and no beat takeshi. if you didnt like 1, skip 2.
                    i liked that inside man had some pretty good characters, and they were funny. "here, can you fix these parking tickets?"
                    oldboy... good movie but i dont think i'll watch it again. you may like his other 2 movies, sympathy for mr vengeance and sympathy for lady vengeance. its in the same world, but no repeat characters.
                    i saw that netflix has 'infernal affairs' the movie that 'the departed' is a remake of. they also had so close and a few other movies. they dont have fearless tho. or SPL. thats something i miss from having a video store...
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I have to say I liked both of these movies-is this Protector one different in name only?
                      Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiidreamin
                        I have to say I liked both of these movies-is this Protector one different in name only?
                        as far as i know, yeah, it's just a name change.

Comment

Despite the amateur editing, it would have been a pretty good movie if only that one loooooong bone-cracking scene had been cut almost entirely. It got bad on the level of the imfamous "Cyborg" during that scene. Fortunately when it comes out on DVD you'll be able to skip that part of the movie. Otherwise it was intense and fun, and the stunts were impressive if you can accept it as a work of fantasy.
                          Last edited by beaker; September 12, 2006, 05:26 PM.

Comment

that was my biggest complaint of tom yung goong also. i wish they could have thought of a more original name as imdb shows there are 7 already. i know a jackie chan film was named the same.
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                            X