Waikiki Ho'olaule'a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waikiki Ho'olaule'a

Tonight's Waikiki Ho'olaule'a kicks off a month-long, statewide schedule of festivities for the 60th Aloha Festivals.

The past few years in Waikiki have had some memorable performances. Last year's performance by Aunty Genoa Keawe near the Hyatt was absolutely "chicken skin" awesome. I wish I had video taped it.

This year's recognition of Edgy Lee and paniolo looks especially interesting. We have the video of that documentary. Highly recommended.

Another interesting one is that there's a "Kelly DeLima 'Ohana" performance, then a Kapena performance. Aren't they one in the same?

What a treat for our visitors and Kama'aina to get together and enjoy such great entertainment in one convenient venue. See you there!

Here's the schedule for tonight, courtesy of The Honolulu Advertiser:

Aloha Festivals 54th Annual Waikiki Ho'olaule'a
    Friday, September 08, 2006 7:00pm-10:30pm
    Kalakaua Avenue

WAIKIKI HO'OLAULE'A, STAGE BY STAGE

Road closure/setup from 5:30 p.m.

Entertainment 7-10:30 p.m.

Road re-opening at 12:30 a.m.

STAGE 1

City and County of Honolulu/99.5 KHUI and KHCM

7-7:45 p.m. — Halau Hula Ka Noe'au

8-8:30 p.m. — Ahi Wela

8:40-9:15 p.m. — Ka'ala Boys and Halau

9:30-9:45 p.m. — Recognition of Edgy Lee and paniolo

9:45-10:15 p.m. — Dita Holifield and Red Handed

10:15-10:30 p.m. — Closing program with Mayor Mufi Hannemann, Tiny Tadani and Dita Holifield

STAGE 2

Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center —The Festival Companies/Island 98.5 and Hot 93.9

7-7:20 p.m. — Aloha Festivals 2006 Royal Court

7:30-8:30 p.m. — Ka Pa Hula O Ka Lei Lehua with kumu hula Snowbird Bento

8:45-9:15 p.m. — Na Palapalai

9:30-10:30 p.m. — Natural Vibrations

STAGE 3

Outrigger Enterprises Group/KUMU Lite 94.7

7-7:25 p.m. — Outrigger Reef Serenaders

7:30-8 p.m. — Kalia

8-8:30 p.m. — Kaukahi

8:50-9:20 p.m. — Kimo Alama Keaulana and Lei Hulu

9:30-10:30 p.m. — Na Palapalai

STAGE 4

Sheraton Hotels in Waikiki/Hawaiian 105 KINE

7-8 p.m. — Kelly DeLima 'Ohana

8:15-9:15 p.m. — Opihi Pickers

9:30-10:30 p.m. — Backyard Pa'ina

STAGE 5

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort/Krater 96

7:15-7:45 p.m. — Halau Na Mamo O Ka'ala

8-9 p.m. — Soul Café

9:15-10:15 p.m. — Rubber Soul

STAGE 6

Pacific Beach Hotel/Oldies 107.9

7-8 p.m. — Navy's Pacific Fleet Rock Band

8-9 p.m. — U.S. Air Force Band of the Pacific in Hawai'i, Hana Hou

9-10 p.m. — U.S. Marine Corps Forces Pacific Show Band

STAGE 7

Hawaiian Airlines/Hawaiian 105 KINE

7-7:45 p.m. — Kimo Alama Keaulana

7:45-8:30 p.m. — Maunalua

8:40-9:20 p.m. — Pili Oha

9:30-10:30 p.m. — Na Kama

STAGE 8

ResortQuest Hawaii/KCCN FM 100

7-7:45 p.m. — B.E.T.

8-8:45 p.m. — Kapena

9-9:30 p.m. — Koa'uka

9:45-10:30 p.m. — Sudden Rush

Official website: www.AlohaFestivals.com
    Last edited by Pomai; September 8, 2006, 01:08 PM. Reason: 60th Aloha Festivals
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Waikiki Ho'olaule'a

Needless to say...

Traffic will be jammed up starting around 4:00 going in towards Waikiki.

However, I'll be heading down with a few friends around 8:00.
    Last edited by damontucker; September 8, 2006, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
      STAGE 4

STAGE 8
      Whoa - who was in charge of logistics?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        I was thinking the same thing... but you know how everything get's pushed back a little any how when it comes to starting a Gig on time...

my conflict is between STAGE 2 Natural Vibrations 9:30 - 10
        and
        Stage 8 Sudden Rush 9:45 - 10:30....

I do like the fact that there are many options though throughout the night.

Comment

re:
          STAGE 4
          STAGE 8
          Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          Perhaps Kalena and Kapena (Kelly Boy's daughter and son) will be performing together on stage 4 under that name. While Kelly Boy will be with with Eddie Teo on drums, Kainoa on bass and a guest guitarist/keyboardist as Kapena on stage 8. That's my best guess.

Otherwise, "Beam us up to stage 8, Scotty."

Manoa, I know what you mean about conflict of schedule. I too wanna' be at several stages at once! We really need this teletransporter technology.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            but you know how everything get's pushed back a little any how when it comes to starting a Gig on time...
            I can imagine poor Kelly Boy at the end of the first set, having to refuse the calls for "hana hou," because he's supposed to be on a different stage right at that moment.
            Perhaps Kalena and Kapena (Kelly Boy's daughter and son) will be performing together on stage 4 under that name. While Kelly Boy will be with with Eddie Teo on drums, Kainoa on bass and a guest guitarist/keyboardist as Kapena on stage 8. That's my best guess.
            My guess is that you are close to the mark, but that Kelly Boy will do both sets, just taking an `ukulele with him (and they better have a golf cart at the ready to rush him from one to the other.)
            Let me know if anyone sees how this plays out, okay? Mahalo.
            Last edited by Leo Lakio; September 8, 2006, 01:25 PM.

Comment

re:
              STAGE 4
              STAGE 8
              I thought Kapena went off to the mainland for college? They had a going away party for him at Gordon Biersch not too long ago. [/hijack]
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Charging the batteries to the cybershot now!

Wondering what I'll be able to post to youtube tonight?

Get plenty crazy stuff that I've seen in the past down there... who knows what I will witness tonight....

Anyone want me to catch a specific clip of a specific group... post soon... will be leaving around 8:00.

Comment

Friday night fireworks in Waikiki...that's my calling...

will youtube anything unusual...

Have a good weekend everyone!

Comment

Did my rounds... nothing unusual worth taking a vid...

One fight did break out... but wasn't interested...

Went with my friend and his girlfriend so kind of felt like a third wheel...

And the whole time.... never did see Kapena or Delima's Ohana...

So much people... it can be like... overwhelmingly unfun! (is that a word or phrase?)

WHY do parents insist on bringing kids in strollers at an event like this? I would never take my son down there to something like this... less yet in a stroller... do parents not realize that when mobs of people are walking...they tend not to look down at the ground and only what's in front of them....

I saw so many pissed off mothers swearing and stuff about having a kid in the stroller...let me through...etc.... however, I dunno... an event like this... Need to leave the keiki at home and definately not ones that need to be in a stroller!

Was a good time in all... nothing spectacular in my eyes... I'm sure others will have a different opinion...

P.S. nope... no youtube... no pics... had the camera...just never had the motivation to bust em out!

Comment

Kapena's Kelly Boy and his daughter Kalena performing in front of Resort Quest Waikiki (stage 8)...

Kainoa on bass...

Leo, I didn't catch the Kelly Delima 'Ohana performance on stage 4, but I passed there about 8:05 and there was no trace of them whatsoever. I think Kelly Boy has teletransporter technology in that uke.

Lei Liko, you're right. Kapena (his son) wasn't there.

Kapena always gets the crowd jumping, and last night young and old were skankin' to their vibe.. lots of fun!
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Waikiki Ho'olaule'a: Na Palapalai

By far, my favorite performers of the night goes to Na Palapalai, who closed the night for us in front of Outrigger Waikiki (where Duke's is). They've brought traditional Hawaiian music back with absolutely splendid beauty.

Here they are just as they got off stage...

Kuana Torres. What a voice and guitar combination!

Keao Costa on bass.

Kehau Tamure centers the band on Uke'
                        Last edited by Pomai; September 9, 2006, 08:54 AM. Reason: fix link
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Pomai, mahalo for the pix! They've been so busy that I haven't been able to see all three of them together for a long, long time.

I am soooooooo glad Kuana decided to shave his head. You shoulda seen the piece of work he had in his hair two weeks ago!

I love my 3 divas.
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

WHY do parents insist on bringing kids in strollers at an event like this? I would never take my son down there to something like this... less yet in a stroller... do parents not realize that when mobs of people are walking...they tend not to look down at the ground and only what's in front of them....

I saw so many pissed off mothers swearing and stuff about having a kid in the stroller...let me through...etc.... however, I dunno... an event like this... Need to leave the keiki at home and definately not ones that need to be in a stroller!
                            Trying to find a babysitter on a Fri night? Heehee....I have no kids, but I do have friends with kids, and there have been many occasions where my friends with kids have had to miss out on an event because they couldn't find a babysitter. In this case, it's a g-rated event that takes place earlier in the evening in the open air (as opposed to late at night in a club/bar full of alcohol and other things that you probably don't want your young kids exposed to), so even though it's crowded at the blockparty, even parents with kids in strollers might feel it's worth the hassle to get out of the house for an evening to people-watch and catch some great music. This event happens only once a year, so why should they miss out?

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                              Trying to find a babysitter on a Fri night? Heehee....I have no kids, but I do have friends with kids, and there have been many occasions where my friends with kids have had to miss out on an event because they couldn't find a babysitter. In this case, it's a g-rated event that takes place earlier in the evening in the open air (as opposed to late at night in a club/bar full of alcohol and other things that you probably don't want your young kids exposed to), so even though it's crowded at the blockparty, even parents with kids in strollers might feel it's worth the hassle to get out of the house for an evening to people-watch and catch some great music. This event happens only once a year, so why should they miss out?
                              This event happens only once a year, so why should they miss out?
                              Raising a child takes responsibility. One of these responsibilities is keeping your child out of harms way.... NO MATTER what.

If you can't find a babysitter for your child because you want to go party you should stay home and party with your child.

The Block Party happens once a year...annually... You can go anytime after your child is a little older...

It just sucked to see so many parents frustrated at the crowd...when they should have known.

Comment

Working...
                              X