Lonelygirl15.... brilliant film project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lonelygirl15.... brilliant film project

just heard today that this youtube phenomenon that has been getting a LOT of attention is actually be a film project

has anyone followed this? the short version of this story is a 16 year old girl was posting video diaries online and somehow got VERY popular. then a buzz started about her popularity and very existance. then the buzz itself generated buzz and then it was this crazy swarm of awesomeness that reminded me of the blair witch project [which i saw AFTER the fake tv documentary, believing both to be real-- and MAN was i creeped out]

either way, this is the most brilliant interactive art i've seen since matt kubo.

i don't have time for youtube but random links have pointed me to this seemingly bottomless internet-video dreamland. does anyone venture there? what a fantastic way to utilize that!
    life is ok sometimes

Re: Lonelygirl15.... brilliant film project

Just so you know... Manoasurfer123 was created up too

Soon the HT Horror flick... ManoasMadness will be hitting the theaters

Kind of interesting though... I had never clicked on one of her videos... and for that matter... never even seen one pop up...

This is the first I've heard about it Christa thanks for the links.

I'll be sure to avoid her Youtube fakeness!

Comment

Heh. I resisted posting about lonelygirl15, as I generally dislike engineered viral marketing. I got sucked "down the rabbit hole," as it were, a while back, descending into a maelstrom of obsessed fans and over-obsessed internet debunkers who found links to all kinds of conspiracies and analyzed every frame for details -- from a candle in the background in one scene to the type of grass she walks on in another.

Most folks in creative industries could tell it was fake, and soon it was a given -- and the game became unmasking the parties behind her. Even when I tried to ignore it, it'd pop up where I'd least expect it. Like on NPR.

Obviously someone had figured it out, and "The Creators" had to quickly admit the jig was up. Whether they're able to parlay their brief time in the limelight into something lasting remains to be seen.

Comment

lol ryan i can appreciate that. i don't know why but i can't stop thinking about beanie babies right now.

--writers block--

in any case... i guess it means i kind of totally love viral marketing? if anything just being clever enough to manipulate a certain medium... i dunno. it's interesting to me and whenever i've heard about whatever event it's been way after the fact and i always just sort of appreciate it. i guess i have yet to identify with the "maelstrom of obsessed fans and over-obsessed internet debunkers" ... that part is funny too.
        life is ok sometimes

Comment

with a Screen name of lonelygirl15...that they created...

I'm trying to figure out what kind of pedophiles they were trying to attract.

No wonder I never noticed any of her youtubes!

Comment

Here's the official explanation of why lonelygirl 15 was created:

The creators identified themselves to The Associated Press as Miles Beckett, 28, of Woodland Hills, California; Mesh Flinders, 26, of Petaluma, California, and Greg Goodfried, 27, of Los Angeles.

Beckett, a self-styled Internet geek, said he came up with the idea of using short videos as a storytelling technique while a surgical resident. Earlier this year, he met Flinders, a fledgling filmmaker, at a party.

"I saw YouTube coming about and podcasting and wanted to be a part of it," Beckett said.

Flinders said he had been developing the character of a teenage girl who was more at home relating to adults than with her peers. The character never quite fit into any of his screenplays, but seemed a perfect fit for Beckett's idea of telling stories using video blogging.

The two joined with Goodfried, a lawyer, recruited the actors to play Bree and her dorky boyfriend, Daniel, and began writing the broad outlines of an open-ended plot filled with the kind of mysteries and clues TV watchers know from the hit ABC show "Lost."

The short videos began appearing on the Web sites YouTube and MySpace in June. The creators said Tuesday that they never intended to stage a hoax or trick people into believing their characters were real.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I was unaware of the lonelygirl15 craze until I watched the NBC Nighty News yesterday...well..still today in Hawaii. Brian Williams closed out the broadcast with a small report in which clips of lonelygirl15 (I don't recall what her name is in the Youtube videos) were shown, clips of those who exposed the hoax/film project for what it really was on the Internet, and interviews with the Southern California trio who created the entire frenzy on a miniscule budget. It was quite interesting.

Comment

I think it is great that smaller film projects get noticed now and they have alternative outlets. I am fascinated by it! Simple minded as I am
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                  I was unaware of the lonelygirl15 craze until I watched the NBC Nighty News yesterday...
                  NPR's Morning Edition had a brief piece on it yesterday as well.
                  Last edited by Leo Lakio; September 14, 2006, 10:56 AM.

Comment

So what's the bet on she will O.D. or die or somethin very dramatic is coming!
                    I mean...what were those pills?? HMMMM...

*Feeling myself sucked into the hole again*

Comment

Did anyone else see her on Jay Leno lastnight? 19 years old from New Zealand. It was just a small 2 minute appearance.

Comment

Working...
                      X