Moped questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moped questions

This is concerning mopeds (two horsepower maximum and 30 mph top speed on a straight level surface), not motor scooters (more than 30 mph).

1) Is it OK to drive on highways such as Kalanianaole, Kamehameha, and Farrington? Basically I want to know if it's possible to drive around the entire island on a moped...

2) Is it OK to pass slow/stopped traffic if there are no bike lanes? What if there are bike lanes?

3) Do I have to use turn signals/blinkers on a moped?

4) Do I have to register, buy insurance, and get annual inspections if my moped is less than 50cc or can't go faster than 30 mph?

Re: Moped questions

Originally posted by Nik
    This is concerning mopeds (two horsepower maximum and 30 mph top speed on a straight level surface), not motor scooters (more than 30 mph).

1) Is it OK to drive on highways such as Kalanianaole, Kamehameha, and Farrington? Basically I want to know if it's possible to drive around the entire island on a moped...
    I don't know the answers to the technical aspects of your questions but I can tell you that I often see slow-moving moped-like vehicles on Kalanianaole Highway.

They are frequently ridden by extremely sunburned tourists with frozen looks of total terror on their faces, perhaps unaware that they would be sharing the lovely Windward Coast highway with eighteen-wheelers and people who actually have to get somewhere .

Comment

Originally posted by Nik

If I'm not mistaken, it is legal to do so. It may not always be safe because the other traffic is zooming past you all the time. It will be difficult if all the lanes are full and someone behind you wants to pass. Even worse on a two lane highway.

Originally posted by Nik
      2) Is it OK to pass slow/stopped traffic if there are no bike lanes? What if there are bike lanes?
      I'm not sure on the legality but I haven't seen any tagged for that. Proceed with caution because people usually don't watch out for two-wheeled vehicles.

Originally posted by Nik
      You are supposed to use them. I think its more for your safety.

Originally posted by Nik
      4) Do I have to register, buy insurance, and get annual inspections if my moped is less than 50cc or can't go faster than 30 mph?
      Registration is similar to a bicycle. You get annual stickers. Insurance is for bigger bikes only. No annual inspections.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik

I think it's possible, but extremely dangerous. Many of the roads are rated well over 30 MPH.

Originally posted by Nik
        No. Mopeds are held to the same road laws as cars.

Originally posted by Nik
        Yes.

Originally posted by Nik
        Upon purchase, you register the bike and you get a permanent sticker. Insurance is not needed, nor are safety inspections.

Comment

Mopeds are scary! I used to own one in Washington... I thought driving the bugger in snow was tough..! I would never drive around Honolulu on one.

Thought about it... but then after seeing a few wipeouts.... re-considered.

For some, it's the perfect alternative... but for the routes I need to get to work... I'm not getting on one any time soon.

I can't believe the helmet law is not enforced here as it is in so many other states!

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
            I don't know the answers to the technical aspects of your questions but I can tell you that I often see slow-moving moped-like vehicles on Kalanianaole Highway.

They are frequently ridden by extremely sunburned tourists with frozen looks of total terror on their faces, perhaps unaware that they would be sharing the lovely Windward Coast highway with eighteen-wheelers and people who actually have to get somewhere .
            I happened to have been one of those tourist on a moped...not sunburned however...I have to say I don't think it would be a great permenant mode of transport...don't get me wrong it was fine on the small roads but man cars are ALOT bigger and faster! I don't scare easy but I almost whizzed my pants a few times! Thanks goodness we had a car for the other driving!
            They were fun for putzing around Waikikki and snorkeling.
            People were very careful around us. Maybe they thought we were crazy! But the big roads! ACK...heart attack remembering it! And some of the rain pelts...not sprinkles...PELTS...I had welts

I may not be qualified to answer but it just doesn't stop me much!
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
              I happened to have been one of those tourist on a moped...not sunburned however...I have to say I don't think it would be a great permenant mode of transport...don't get me wrong it was fine on the small roads but man cars are ALOT bigger and faster! I don't scare easy but I almost whizzed my pants a few times! Thanks goodness we had a car for the other driving!
              They were fun for putzing around Waikikki and snorkeling.
              People were very careful around us. Maybe they thought we were crazy! But the big roads! ACK...heart attack remembering it! And some of the rain pelts...not sprinkles...PELTS...I had welts

I may not be qualified to answer but it just doesn't stop me much!
              I often see little convoys of five or six of these along the Windward Coast highway. A really scary tendency of theirs is to have the "lead" driver pull out of one of those scenic outlook spots after he's apparently decided it's all clear. NONE of the followers bothers to look to make sure it's clear for THEM to proceed--they just follow. I've seen this so often. I am just amazed that there are not more accidents involving the mopeds.

More than once, I've seen drivers of mopeds crying on the side of the road. The usual scenario is a female crying and a male, stopped a bit ahead, looking back over his shoulder with a real displeased look on his face.

Have you seen the two-seater vehicles that look like the "Little Tike" cars? OMG. They toodle along the highway too. I shudder to think what they would look like after even a minor accident.

It looks almost exactly like this. The only real difference I can see is that it's a two seater and motorized:

http://www.littletikes.com/toys/toys...D=2823&N=22+26

Comment

Have you seen the two-seater vehicles that look like the "Little Tike" cars? OMG. They toodle along the highway too. I shudder to think what they would look like after even a minor accident.
                You talking about this?

I think you'd fair better then on a moped.

Comment

. I've seen this so often. I am just amazed that there are not more accidents involving the mopeds.

It is only because I noticed people are very generous and careful around us!

I have to say, I thought I would be run over but people were so kind and careful. I also thought we would be honked at and pushed...but nope!

Everyone let us through and smiled. That was personal Aloha for me

The only accident we had is my Girlfriend pulled the throttle and ran into a wall before we left a building! Then said "I can't believe I did that! Honeslty I thought you would have".
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Tourists on mopeds are seriously scary. The combination of inexperience and "woo-hoo!" vacation mentality is not good. It's not a toy!

Also, anyone who rides without a helmet (95% of riders) are delusional IMHO. Take a spill while going 25mph and suddenly your brain function is halved. Personally, I value my brain too much to take that kind of chance.

I drove a moped in Japan for several years, and it's a great mode of transportation. But motorists in Japan really look for two-wheeled vehicles. I would seriously hesitate to ride one in Hawaii, and would never ride one on the mainland. I would certainly never get on one of those without a helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek
                      You talking about this?

I think you'd fair better then on a moped.
                      That looks like it---the E-2 model. Virtually no protection in an accident. Amazing that we equip cars with airbags that can encase us like coccoons in a crash and then we send people out on the highway in those things.

Comment

Lots of conflicting information here. I was always under the impression that mopeds are required to drive on the side of the road on any highway (such as Kalaniana‘ole). The reason being that the speed limit is higher that the maximum capability of the moped’s power (50cc). Scooters on the other hand can reach speeds in excess of 90 mph. That’s why a motorcycle license is required for those, complete with plates and motor vehicle insurance.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

I did some research and found that mopeds (not motor scooters!) must abide by the same laws as other motor vehicles such as cars, except that mopeds must use bicycle lanes (not bicycle paths!) when present and must stay as close to the right curb as possible when bicycle lanes are not present if traveling less than the speed of normal traffic unless making a left turn, avoiding danger, or driving on a one-way street (in which case the moped must stay as close to the left or right curb).

Anyway, if anyone else is curious the full scoop can be found here:
                          http://www.state.hi.us/dot/highways/...%20Drivers.doc

Comment

Working...
                          X