where is the best place to get a plate lunch or good food? for cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where is the best place to get a plate lunch or good food? for cheap

Just wanted to pose this question: where is the best place to grab a plate lunch or good food for cheap? The only place that I can think of is Yummy's Korean Barbeque.
    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Re: where is the best place to get a plate lunch or good food? for cheap

Heh, for which area? any any kind of food in particular? China Town if full of good, inexpensive places.

Comment

That depends on where on Oahu you are at.

In any event, there is Maholo Drive Inn on Young Street, large plate lunches run $5 to $8 depending on what you get. Daily specials which contain 2 main items, 2 scoops of rice and scoop of mac salad run around $5.50.

Daiei on Kaheka Street has various food vendors on the outside that has various food types.

Comment

Assuming you'll be staying in Waikiki, there are many options in outskirt areas near there. Yummy's is a good start, but I wouldn't call that a representation of a "local plate lunch". It's basically Korean food (which I love).

The typical local plate lunch includes the following: 2 scoops white rice, 1 scoop Macaroni Salad ("Mac Sal") and an entree or combination of the following: Hawaiian Beef Stew, Curry, Teriyaki Beef, Shoyu Chicken, Roast Pork, Kalua Pig and Cabbage, Mahimahi or Hamburger Steak. Those are the basics, but of course there are many other offerings.

On Kapahulu Ave. on the "Zoo" end of Waikiki you can check out Rainbow Drive Inn, although I think they're over-rated. You can't go wrong with their Loco Moco though, which is a hamburger patty over rice with an egg and brown gravy. More up the street across Genki Sushi near Subsway and Diamond Head Video is Regal Drive-Inn. Lots of choices at really good prices. Of course on Kapahulu there's also a Zippy's, but I wouldn't say they're cheap, but they're consistent and good. Personally I like their Chili/Chicken plate ($5.50), Mahi Plate ($5.50) and the classic Zip Pac ($7.60).

On the Ala Moana side of Waikiki, you have Tsukenjo's Lunch Wagon, which is parked during weekday lunch hours on Ward ave. near Z-Interiors.

One place I haven't tried yet, but have heard many great reviews over is You Hungry? on the corner of Kapiolani Blvd. and Atkinson, across the Hwaaii Convention Center, next to 7-11. With that, I'll have to pay them a visit soon to enter in my blog, as Ono Kine Grinds has already done.

Wherever you get your plate lunch, make sure you order take-out and go to a nearby beach to eat it. Food ALWAYS tastes better on the beach!
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Well, here I go again - plugging the Remington College Building

Because of a high student population in the area, the plate lunches are VERY reasonable & most of the place will have a "mini" plate. We have many different cuisines - such as chinese, philipino and "local" such as stew & curry stew. Also salads & sandwiches. Plus a place that usually has fresh ahi poke that is really ONO!

Across the street is Thai, Sushi & more "local" style.

Fort St. Mall has many places - again because of high student population, the prices are reasonable.

In the area of Queen & Alakea, there are more plate lunch style places. At Pioneer Plaza on Fort St. Mall - even more places.

Bottom line, if you are downtown - you have plenty choices of where to get a plate lunch for reasonable price.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
            Bottom line, if you are downtown - you have plenty choices of where to get a plate lunch for reasonable price.
            Until you drive up to the parking attendant and pay the ticket.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

One place I haven't tried yet, but have heard many great reviews over is You Hungry? on the corner of Kapiolani Blvd. and Atkinson, across the Hwaaii Convention Center, next to 7-11. With that, I'll have to pay them a visit soon to enter in my blog, as Ono Kine Grinds has already done
              YOU HUNGRY is da bomb...and believe it or not they deliver within a reasonable area!

I used to get a cheeseburger and fries delivered to my house for 4.25! Tip the guy 1.75 and never had to leave my house...

Now I tend to get the specialty of the day... when they have it.

Great place... nice folks... NOT much seating... more of a "To-Go" type of atmosphere....

looking forward to your review of it Pomai when you get a chance to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                Until you drive up to the parking attendant and pay the ticket.
                Yes, that is very true. However, most people who eat lunch downtown are already there because of work - and many take the bus. I know the couple of years I didn't work downtown, it was difficult finding lunch without having to drive somewhere. and since I don't drive - I brought lunch from home most days which gets boring really fast!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                  That depends on where on Oahu you are at. In any event, there is Maholo Drive Inn on Young Street, large plate lunches run $5 to $8 depending on what you get.
                  that's a great place for a cheap loco moco, just $3.75 for the mini size, which fills me up. I think they use the L&L recipe (they used to be a L&L), which is good but not the best, but for $3.75 a great value which keeps me coming back.

Originally posted by Pomai
                  One place I haven't tried yet, but have heard many great reviews over is You Hungry? on the corner of Kapiolani Blvd. and Atkinson, across the Hwaaii Convention Center, next to 7-11. With that, I'll have to pay them a visit soon to enter in my blog, as Ono Kine Grinds has already done.
                  I love "You Hungry", I love the Chopped Steak, the tuna mac salad, and a side of kim-chee. But if you're looking for the cheapest plate lunch, this place ain't it.

achow, since you mention Yummy's Korean BBQ, maybe you're looking for cheap Korean style plate lunches. I don't think anyplace mentioned in this thread so far does Korean plate lunches. If you want the cheapest Korean plate lunch, I can suggest Palama's market on the corner of Kalakaua and Makaloa (next to Daiei/Don Quijote, which has a Yummy's too). If you want to pay more, there's plenty of choices, which part of town you looking?
                  Last edited by mapen; September 26, 2006, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Now...I hungry!
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pu'uwainani Lunch Wagon in the parking lot at the corner of South and Halekauwila Streets. Really good plate lunches bordering on the gourmet (if you will) for good prices. A mini furikake mahi with some sort of wasabi vinaigrette is stellar, and costs like $5.

Lunchtime only, though, M-F.

Comment

I dont like paying more then $5 for a plate lunch, which is rare to find nowadays. I like Mui Kwai on Liliha, they have Oriental Chicken Salad or Minute Chicken Cake Noodle for under $5. Used to be under $4, but oh well.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                          Pu'uwainani Lunch Wagon in the parking lot at the corner of South and Halekauwila Streets. Really good plate lunches bordering on the gourmet (if you will) for good prices. A mini furikake mahi with some sort of wasabi vinaigrette is stellar, and costs like $5.

Lunchtime only, though, M-F.
                          Their fried ahi poke is excellent.

Comment

Richie's on King St. across American T Shirt Company.

Comment

Okata Bento on Waialae Ave. (across FHB) is my lunchtime favorite. Their bento is cooked to order, and the food is prepared in bite-sized pieces. I love it because you get a good portion for what you pay. I usually get their Katsu-don.

I also love love love Sugoi at City Square (makai of the DMV). I like how their menu's expanded a lot since they first opened. I usually get the Karai Spicy Garlic Chicken Bento.

And I know you Leeward/Central Oahu people know about Miki's on Lehua Ave. Ahh, so many memories of being drunk and wanting to grind sooooo bad! They're famous for their limited menu selections (often written on a dry erase board) and the late-night hours (open 10pm-ish and close around 330am/4am?). Whatever you ordered you got massive plates of, and their plates were usually $4-$6. I haven't been there in months, but I know the Aunty who owned it/cooked there passed away recently. Does anyone know if it's still open?
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                              X