Ford's new CEO drives a Lexus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford's new CEO drives a Lexus

The newly named chief executive officer of Ford Motor Co. drives a Lexus LS 430, the flagship luxury sedan from Toyota Motor Corp. that he unabashedly says he purchased because "it's the finest car in the world."
    "And this is also the reason why I'm here (at Ford), because Boeing makes the finest commercial airplanes in the world, and what was compelling to me was that Bill Ford, when he called me, Bill wanted to focus on making the best auto company in the world ...

"The reason he called was not to restructure, not to get rid of stuff, not to sell it off. He called because he wanted to make the finest automobiles in the world. And that's why I'm here," Mulally continued. "Because I think the U.S. can compete. I know they can compete. ... There's no reason why we can't be the best in the world."
    Source and entire article

I wonder where he parks since Ford banned all other competitor's vehicles from the lot.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Ford's new CEO drives a Lexus

Unless this new CEO is good at working with Ford's labor unions, not much will change. We'll see.

I STILL have my eyes on the new 'Stang GT though. Sweet. By far the best "retro" design to date... until next year's release of the new Dodge Challenger!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Alan Mulally did a great job in turning around the fotunes of Boeing
      Commercial Airplanes. So I have the full confidence that he will be
      able to work his magic.Actually Ford's biggest problem aside a weak
      car lineup, is the burdensome healthcare and pension costs.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I think the reason why Alan Mulalley jumped ship at Boeing after 37 years of working for that company is that he got skipped over for promotion when Richard Condit was forced to retire as CEO a couple of years ago (when Boeing corporate moved to Chicago). But like Aaron says, Mulalley did work miracles at Boeing...he was responsible for the 777 and 787 "Dreamliner" models that are wiping Airbus' okole right now. One thing Boeing knows, is how to run a tight manufacturing ship. Their systems are world class and I'm sure Mulalley will take all of that knowledge with him to Ford. Maybe he can take the Kaizen stuff that he learned from Toyota and make it work at Ford, too.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; September 9, 2006, 05:50 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

As far as I read, Alan Mulally wanted the ability to run the whole show. Since
          there isn't many industrial type companies the size of Boeing, hence he ended
          up with Ford. I for one, hope he is successful.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Very interesting. Ford really needs to make some changes. I just hope this new guy comes up with new ideas rather than continue the same old boring copycat cycle.

Comment

Aaron's thoughts on how to revitalize Ford :

1. Rejuvenate their product line of cars
              2. Reign in their skyrocketing health care and pension costs
              3. Improve the working relationship with the unions.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                Aaron's thoughts on how to revitalize Ford :

1. Rejuvenate their product line of cars
                2. Reign in their skyrocketing health care and pension costs
                3. Improve the working relationship with the unions.

Nah...bring back the 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with the peek-a-boo headlights and the sequential rear turn signals.

And don't turn it into a rental car like they did with the retro mustang!!! Make it a limited edition run and don't flood the market with too many of em. It just cheapens the desired effect.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  Make it a limited edition run and don't flood the market with too many of em. It just cheapens the desired effect.
                  Like the new thunderbird? (BTW, what happend to that car anyway?)
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Reminds me of the time in the mid-70s when Dwight Holiday of the UH basketball "Fabulous Five" did some TV ads for Toyota, then drove away from the shoot in his Datsun 240-Z ............

Comment

Like the Ford CEO said, the Lexus LS430 is the finest car in the world. It will take a miracle for Ford to compete. I say wait and see if he can find a rabbit in the hat (and not the VW kind). The Mustang - kewl car for a weekend cruise, but try driving it from Oregon to Washington and back. Da buggah stay panting, let me tell you!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                      X