Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a 30-50 foot sailboat I can rent for a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a 30-50 foot sailboat I can rent for a day?

Hello... I arrive in Oahu this Wed. from Florida to visit my son for 9 days. I am a retired charter boat captain and dive instructor from St. Thomas V.I. and I would love to take my son and some guests for a day sail. I have searched the net and could not find a bareboat rental outfit in Hawaii, nor could I find any threads regarding sailboats save for MenehuneMan who enjoyed a day sailing on a 28footer.
    ..My experience is with a 45' Morgan and a 52' Irwin. I love to sail and I know it is a great way to see your Islands. Auntie Lynn has graciously offered...
    from "Are you... Helpful or hurtful?"

"Aloha & Welcome Awake Create to HawaiiThreads.com! Please extend my Mahalos to your son for serving The USA! I am the mother of Soldiers also. You will enjoy your visit to our island of Oahu. So much to see and do. If your son plans to take you to Chinatown, let me know. I'll give you an Exclusive Auntie Pupule Chinatown Tour. There's no charge for members of HT and another forum I belong to."
    Once again, welcome!
    Auntie Lynn

... a tour of China Town , which I gratefuly accept, and will call when I reach.
    .I will also tour your marinas for more local knowledge on what is available and I look forward to my visit, my first to this Pacific Isle. Thanks for any guidance...
    Awake...
    Last edited by awakecreate; September 11, 2006, 10:50 AM.
    'you are what you think about', all day long...you are
    blessed be

Re: is there a 30-50 foot sailboat I can rent for a day?

I know of few "bare-boat" rentals in the Hawaiian Islands. I'm not sure why?

But as a fellow captain, I will say that sailing in Hawaii vs. sailing in the Caribbean is a whole different ballgame.

A "relaxing" sailboat ride in Kona is possible. But almost anywhere else you can expect tradewinds blowing at 15+ sustained, with gusts to 25+. This is likely the reason why there are few bareboat rentals in Oahu.

There is one company in Kona that rents power boats for fishing.

Best bet is to head down to Hawaii Yacht Club and ask the bartender.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Thanks Timkona... St Thomas has steady 12-15 knot easterly trade winds most weeks of the year and you can see (most of the time) the squalls coming from a safe enough distance to adjust sails or whatever.
      The conditions you describe sound like good chalenging sailing, however I can understand why bare boat rentals would be risky business.
      The bartender and location is an excelent sugestion. My son and I may fly to overnight at other islands so that may be the place to aquire the vessel. I will know more when Michael and I are together on island.
      thanks again
      Awake...
      blessed be

Comment

Uhhhhhh...I dunno wat is a "bare-boat!" I know wat is a "bare back!"

Seriously, I'll let the others help you with this. I'll stick to my Exclusive Chinatown Tour. LikaNui and Kimo55 should know a thing or two. But I dunno where Kimo55 is nowadays.

Looking forward to meeting ya!!!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          LikaNui and Kimo55 should know a thing or two.
          Thanks, Auntie. And I haven't been here on HT for about two weeks. Missed almost a whole week being sick, then massively swamped with work since then.
          Anyway. None of the major boat charter companies have offices in Hawai`i. Winds are typically 15-25 and often higher, with very very gusty conditions below valleys and between islands. Ocean waves are typically 6' to 20'. Horrible conditions for the average charterer. Add plenty of coral reefs, some bizarre currents, and most especially the lack of natural harbors, the lack of overnight cruising destinations, and the lack of any available slips in all the marinas in the state, and the charter companies know it's a lose-lose situation.
          Awakecreate may find one or two private yachts available for charter, but chances are they'll be in pretty bad condition.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Check out Honolulu Sailing Company .

Says they have many different boats and offer "Bareboat" or "Crewed" options. Hope they can accomodate you. Aloha!
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Hello... Thank you MM I checked out the Honolulu Sailing Co and they do have what I was looking for. Now I have to justify the price if anything is available. If we find a group to go along it will work...thanks.

Also thanks to LikaNui, that is a very good description of sea conditions to contend with. Local knowledge will be a must.

Awake...
              blessed be

Comment

Originally posted by awakecreate
                Hello... Thank you MM I checked out the Honolulu Sailing Co and they do have what I was looking for. Now I have to justify the price if anything is available. If we find a group to go along it will work...thanks.

Awake...
                You can count me in!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Aloha...I have reached your beautiful island and had a tour to Kaena Point yesterday afternoon. I got the local number for the sail charter and my son and I plan on a visit there and to Chinatown this afternoon.
                  ..I appreciate all your help...
                  aloha
                  Awake...
                  blessed be

Comment

Aloha...I have reached your beautiful island and had a tour to Kaena Point yesterday afternoon. I got the local number for the sail charter and my son and I plan on a visit there and to Chinatown this afternoon.
                    ..I appreciate all your help...
                    aloha
                    Awake...
                    Hui! Awake!! I've been busy. We almost lost my precious grandson, Antonio yesterday. He's doing much better. I'm sorry if I missed your call. If you get this post, I'm home now and can get to Chinatown in five minutes.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Hello Auntie Lynn...I have Antonio in my prayers...now.
                      We called and left a message with Honolulu Sailing Company but they have yet to return our call

My son and I went up the mountain today to look down on the city (very cool) and we toured some too. I will call again tomorrow.
                      Awake...
                      blessed be

Comment

Hello Auntie Lynn...I have Antonio in my prayers...now.
                        We called and left a message with Honolulu Sailing Company but they have yet to return our call.Awake...
                        Awake, Antonio is doing much better. It was touch and go. An experience ~ I shall never forget. Mahalo for your prayers and everyone's too!

My grandchildren is my reason to LIVE!!!

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Aloha all...
                          Success with a sailboat. My son is in the Navy and we found sailboat rentals at the Marine Corps Base Hawaii's Marina. Located on scenic Kaneohe Bay, the Marina offers a variety of activities for water sports enthusiasts. We were well served by Steve and Shiloh who first checked us out on a small Harpoon (centerboard sloops) and then we took out a fixed keel Catalina 27 footer. Wa Hoo, just what I had hoped for. The cost was $30.00 for 4 hours! http://www.mccshawaii.com/marina.htm

The Honolulu Sailing Co. never returned our phone calls… all for good reason I suppose as our thoughts and desires were manifested here on Oahu.

Thanks to all for your help and to Auntie Lynn; we are busy now packing up Mike’s belongings as he moves to Seattle on Saturday and I leave island tomorrow at 11pm. I will still try to make it to see you in Chinatown but for sure I will call before I go.
                          Namaste
                          Awake…
                          blessed be

Comment

Sailing conditions in Hawaii are so different from other places that no local boat owners are willing to offer bareboat charters. The water is much deeper here than in the VI. I would suggest chartering a sailboat with a captain and taking a turn at the helm. For the best Hawaii yacht charters, http://www.yachtchartershawaii.com can help you out. Aloha!

Comment

Working...
                            X