Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOE fires charter schools’ Jim Shon

Schools want charter director to be reinstated

“It’s a sad day for charter schools in the state of Hawai‘i,” said Steve Hirakami, director of the Hawai‘i Academy of Arts and Science on the Big Island.
    When will the politicking end?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: BOE fires charter schools’ Jim Shon

When education becomes controlled by local school boards instead of a Statewide one.... Possibly?

Comment

When the BOE/DOE stops being so afraid of competition from the Charter Schools (possibly because students perform better at Charters)????? I think at least 1/2 of the current Charter Schools has passed the "AYP" standards.

When some new blood gets elected to BOE with ability to see that the current way of education via strict BOE standards isn't working?
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It's funny - I was discussing this very thing with someone in Jim's office earlier today.........and now it comes up on HT.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
          When the BOE/DOE stops being so afraid of competition from the Charter Schools (possibly because students perform better at Charters)????? I think at least 1/2 of the current Charter Schools has passed the "AYP" standards.

When some new blood gets elected to BOE with ability to see that the current way of education via strict BOE standards isn't working?
          anapuni do you have stats that show that charter schools are doing better?

Per the dollar by the student kind?

Just wondering....

Charter Schools are failing in many departments...Just as the regular schools...

It sucks for all.... at Least Mr. Jim Shon is getting dismissed because of something other than a sex scandal.... doh...did i just say that?

Comment

I don't have those stats - this is just from conversations with people in the Charter Schools Office and reading the newspaper reports of the schools which have attained "AYP". Being a huge supporter of Charter Schools, I pay attention to their numbers. I know that last year, 2005 - I did some award certificates for the schools - 11 got their "AYP" status last year.

As for the dollar per student ratio - I believe it is lower than regular public schools.

For completely accurate info of this sort - I'd suggest just calling the Charter Schools Admin Office.

I don't speak for the schools in any way.
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

http://arch.k12.hi.us/PDFs/nclb/2006...st20060908.pdf

The AYP 2005-2006 final results show 64.5 percent of schools did not meet the Adequate Yearly Progress status.

55 percent of Charter schools did not meet the Adquate Yearly Progress status. (12 schools met the AYP, and 15 did not.) Page 13 of the report breaks out Charter schools.

The Hawaii DOE system is a failure, our youth deserve better!

Comment

Thank you for looking that up... I too lazy to find the figures... however...

Please don't say ALL of DOE is failing.... many parts are lacking... however, ALL of DOE is not failing! you forget to mention the percentage of people that are meeting...so there must be some adequate progress going on with some keiki.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  Please don't say ALL of DOE is failing.... many parts are lacking... however, ALL of DOE is not failing! you forget to mention the percentage of people that are meeting...so there must be some adequate progress going on with some keiki.
                  OK, but based upon the standard school grading system (100%-90%=A,90-80=B, etc),the regular school system rates a "D" at 64%, and the Charter schools rate a "F" at 55%. Humm.... after looking at it that way, I still do not feel any better about the DOE's performance.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                    OK, but based upon the standard school grading system (100%-90%=A,90-80=B, etc),the regular school system rates a "D" at 64%, and the Charter schools rate a "F" at 55%. Humm.... after looking at it that way, I still do not feel any better about the DOE's performance.
                    Grading is not always based on a percentage basis...while some may think that... it really holds no truth in k-6 education. Kids will learn at different paces... no matter what...

Maybe thats what you have experienced while you were in schools... (do you have kids or teach or have anything to do with schools now... I didn't think so..) ... however, DOE for the last two years has done it's best to standardize things....

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona

After looking at the Charter Schools list again - there are 3 schools listed at "In Good Standing, Pending". That would make their percentage of AYP over 50%. My understanding, from the work I did last year, is that the "pending" status means it is "as good as" passed, just not official yet. I had questioned why the pending schools were not also getting awards. Apparently, there is one more step to go through - I don't know if its at State or Fed level.

Manoa - do you know what the exact meaning of the "pending" classification is?
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

After looking at the Charter Schools list again - there are 3 schools listed at "In Good Standing, Pending". That would make their percentage of AYP over 50%. My understanding, from the work I did last year, is that the "pending" status means it is "as good as" passed, just not official yet. I had questioned why the pending schools were not also getting awards. Apparently, there is one more step to go through - I don't know if its at State or Fed level.

Manoa - do you know what the exact meaning of the "pending" classification is?
                        Well definitively pending means that it still needs to be investigated...

In my personal knowledge of pending....it means the schools administration dept. didn't have their stuff together and put a pending on it .... so that hopefully things would blow over...

Heat is on at the charter schools now... need acountabilty... if public schools have to show where their money is going....why shouldn't charter schools...?

Just wondering?

Pending.... an excuse for laziness or an excuse for not understanding the rules of the game.... basically an excuse....

Just a personal observation... and I by no means speak for no one but me... my mr. illeterate missspeellling Mannnoa...!

Comment

Plus, while we are making comparisons - it should be understood that Charter Schools are making do in un-orthodox quarters such as Paradise Park, unused warehouses, former store spaces in Kaka`ako, any unused space they can find to lease - and DOE gives them no help at all in finding their spaces. The schools depend on grants and donations to survive. Halau Ku Mana for example, is being evicted from their school space at Paradise Park soon - and they have even been doing park maintenance for the owners!

So, when these Charter Schools DO get their AYP certifications, they have done it under extreme conditions - much more sub standard than the regular public schools.

But, the Charter kids are learning - winning scholarships, winning arts & science awards, doing wonderful things. If I had time, I would list some other of the award certificates I had the honor of preparing last year.
                          Last edited by anapuni808; September 11, 2006, 10:47 PM.
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Plus, while we are making comparisons - it should be understood that Charter Schools are making do in un-orthodox quarters such as Paradise Park, unused warehouses, former store spaces in Kaka`ako, any unused space they can find to lease - and DOE gives them no help at all in finding their spaces. The schools depend on grants and donations to survive. Halau Ku Mana for example, is being evicted from their school space at Paradise Park soon - and they have even been doing park maintenance for the owners!

So, when these Charter Schools DO get their AYP certifications, they have done it under extreme conditions - much more sub standard than the regular public schools.

But, the Charter kids are learning - winning scholarships, winning arts & science awards, doing wonderful things. If I had time, I would list some other of the award certificates I had the honor of preparing last year.
                            annapuni you making big deal out of AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress)

These charter schools have only been around for a few years... if school can't progress somewhat in a few years...then they really suck...

Most of Hawaii's public schools besides the Kapolei side.... have been around for years...

AYP is a very VERY misrepresented thing when your talking about schools that have been around for 20 - 50 years + compared to schools that have only been adequated into this formula for 5 years and have only reported once or twice....IF THAT!

I'm not a hater of charter schools...I dislike a lot of the numbers that get thrown around without real knowledge of it.

Comment

Ok - how about this for a comparison:

Lahainaluna - oldest public school in the state - not passed
                              McKinley High School - over 50 yrs. old - not passed
                              Mililani High School - over 20 years old - not passed

The school on tiny Ni`ihau? passed.

12 out of 27 Charter Schools, as you say some less than 5 years old - Passed.

So, I don't think you can base your statements on age of the schools (or even the size).

As for the AYP classification, I believe that is a requirement of the Federal "No Child Left Behind" Act isn't it?
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X