Beatles : Pre Dugs or Post Drugs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beatles : Pre Dugs or Post Drugs ?

I'm picking up this thread in here from the Meth amphetamine thread as it has denigrated into a Beatle discussion....

So, Obviously the Beatles music changed and evolved once they started using pot and LSD. I think it started with Rubber Soul and Revolver, which were mostly POT records, but then when they got into LSD, then came magical Mystery Tour and Sgt Peppers....

What do you all consider your favorite period of the Beatles, and do you think the drugs helped or hindered the creative process and output ?
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Re: Beatles : Pre Dugs or Post Drugs ?

Originally posted by tikiyaki
    Bob Marley was most likely stoned his entire career.
    Kurt Cobain's career was too short, and he was on drugs for most of it as well.
    Hendrix was doing acid from the very first experience records.

The beatles had a non drug period and a drug period.

Either way, the music changed...and seriously, how much better could it have gotten than those records ? I personally think the drugs had a positive impact on their music. I think Sir Paul would most likely agree, as he is STILL an AVID pot smoker.
    The beatles had a non drug period and a drug period.
    Is this a fact??? Or is this just when they came out about their drug use?

Do we as fans know that they weren't stoners all along and only became public about it as they became popular and their was no stopping it?

Or is it a myth?

Or was it just a stoney hippy movement in general that conglamorated to a group that appealed to the masses and had messages of Peace, love and unity in it?

When does a fan truly know when one of the FAB 4 did start using?

I'm not one to question when and/if ... I'm just saying if your just making it in the business...wouldn't it be smart to hide your drug use until you got to the point where fans wouldn't care whether you smoked Pot or not?
    Last edited by damontucker; September 11, 2006, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      ... I'm just saying if your just making it in the business...wouldn't it be smart to hide your drug use until you got to the point where fans wouldn't care whether you smoked Pot or not?
      You might have a point, just think - John Lennon even hid the fact he was married to Cynthia.

Comment

so tiki??

Do you know Exactly when the Beattles started using drugs... or are you just assuming from what's been said out there?

Comment

I know that drug use changed my PERCEPTION of their music, and music in general, in the early 1970s.

Comment

so tiki??

Do you know Exactly when the Beattles started using drugs... or are you just assuming from what's been said out there?
            Sorry manoa...I typed up a whole response and posted it last night, but I guess HT was down for a bit and it didn't go through

Anyway, in answer to your question. I KNOW that Bob Dylan was the one who introduced them to marijane...This was on one of their stays in NYC, I think when they played Ed Sullivan for the second time...late 64', or 65'.

It's well documented and they even talk about it on the Anthology DVD.

McCartney to this day will admit to how drugs influenced the Beatles, and still is a big pot smoker now.

Also, that happy little song from "revolver"..."Got to get you into my life" is Sir Paul professing his love for marijuana.

Comment

Here's a quote about the subject...Apparently, a radical (for the time) journalist Al Aronowitz introduced them to Dylan, who in turn, introduced them to marijuana...

"But, yes, he's mostly remembered as the man who introduced the Beatles to Bob Dylan in 1964. If that seems like an injustice, however, give it another look: this minor role is bigger than all the others. There's the figurative importance: what was '60s rock, after all, but the meeting of the Beatles and Bob Dylan? But we all know what happened at that literal, physical meeting: Dylan gave the Fab Four their first marijuana joint. And their subsequent love affair with pot colored their work on Help and the combination of the drug and the Dylan influence all but wrote Rubber Soul by itself; then, Brian Wilson's encounter with Rubber Soul was so epochal that he was inspired to top it by creating The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. Paul McCartney was so wowed by Pet Sounds that he used it, marijuana, and more serious drugs (weed is, after all, the Gateway Drug) as the inspiration for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, the most influential, revolutionary, and just plain talked-about album in all of the rock universe. So in his own big but inadvertent way, Aronowitz thereby directly manipulated the entire rock universe of the four decades that followed that pot party. Not bad for a music writer...I hope I can say that someday."

See the full thread here : http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/08/02/232251.php

Comment

Ok...thanks for the input....

I'll take that...thanks for enlightening me on the subject further.

But I still think Music is a personal opinion...Whether a group is good or bad because of drugs is an opinion.

Comment

Ok...thanks for the input....

I'll take that...thanks for enlightening me on the subject further.

But I still think Music is a personal opinion...Whether a group is good or bad because of drugs is an opinion.

Hey, absolutely, I feel the same way. I like BOTH Beatles, pre and post drug use. I've never said otherwise, as I'm a Beatle geek. I was just stating how their music took a definite turn after the drugs started...definitely more creative, and "out there", but not better or worse :-)

I'm curious to hear some other folks opinion on this too... anyone ?

Comment

I want some of those DUGS!

What are DUGS?
                    j/k!

Comment

I want some of those DUGS!

What are DUGS?
                      j/k!
                      LOL....I'm the king of Typos....I have to edit my posts like 5 times to get the typos corrected...

Comment

You all know drugs are bad. And since it's drugs that helped to create Sgt Peppers, then it must also be bad. Beatles, drugs.....egads !!

Drugs can never be tolerated in modern society. Ain't no good ever come out of some drugged out acid head pot smokin hippie freak.

Doggone it....We shoulda listened more to Mr. Hearst !

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                          YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
                          Yeah, but will I be given drugs when I am?

Comment

Of course ! Especially if you can pump out history making music.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I suspect my music would end up making history for all the wrong reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X