Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety check

I need to get a safety check in Hilo.

My only problem is my tint on my car (limo in rear/one shade lighter up front). I guess trucks can have darker tint than cars??

What are my options? Who knows somebody I can go to?

I do not want to R&R my tint. Too expensive

Thanks!

Brandon.

P.S. I hate cockaroaches!!!

Re: Safety check

brandon... get used to the cockroaches... they are your buddies now that you moved here to hawaii...

As far as the safety check... good question....

Why does it seem like so many people have illegal tint on there windows... how do they get away with it???

I'd like to have a nice dark tint on my windows to keep my baby shaded and the car cool... but the laws here in Hawaii only allow to a certain point.

Anyone got any good ideas about how to possibly get around a safety check inspection if you do happen to decide to get tint that is too dark?

I would hate to remove my tint each time that I need to have a safety check done... however, I hear that's what many people do...

Brandon... Excellent question... how does one get around the safety check and tint problems... most other states are much more lenient on the tint...why is it so important here when it seems so sunny here and you need the tint?

But excellent question Brandon... I would love to hear input from others on this as I'm seriously thinking of tinting my car soon.

Thanks for asking...

By the way... how things going for you in Hilo? oops... sorry wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon007
      What are my options? Who knows somebody I can go to?
      Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      Brandon... Excellent question... how does one get around the safety check and tint problems...
      You will probably not get anyone to give to you in a public forum, such as HT, the name of a station that passes illegally tinted windows. And ditto for getting the names of other illegal purveyors by asking here, either.
      Last edited by SouthKona; September 11, 2006, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
        You will probably not get anyone to give to you in a public forum, such as HT, the name of a station that passes illegally tinted windows. And ditto for getting the names of other illegal purveyors by asking here, either.
        Ok southkona...if that's the case... you can PM me any cool info you might have...

I'm trying to help a cousin out on the big island... and Brandon seems to be going through something similar...

thanks, I should have thought about that... if anyone get the hook ups on a cool safety check station that will let my cousin pass with a bag of poi as exchange for window tint... please let me know... PM.... !

Comment

Hah, I laugh at the tint laws. Im sure we can bring this to a trial court.
          This would actually be a nice civil case, as long as there were damages.

Again, I have not learned Hawaiian laws yet. However, I am still shocked that "...Hawaii's age of sexual consent is 14, the lowest in the United States.." (star bulletin) Sorry I got off on a tangent here.

Comment

umm... i don't think a bag of poi would pass off as an exchange for the window tint thing....its usually in the form of $40.00 :P

Comment

Darkest legal tint is 20% (including factory tint) but you probably already know that.

We all know why there is a maximum allowable tint. The most obvious is the laws that protect our law enforcement officials who must be able to see the driver when pulling them over. Why? because hiding behind that 5% window tint could be the tip of the barrel of a 9mm Glock staring right at that cop's face he can't see.

But the second is the most common sense. Try backing up a car at night with 5% tint. Why make it harder?

Okay the arguement...the sun fades my car's upholstery. Dark tint won't protect your car, ultra-violet protection can. When was the last time you put sun-block on your skin that was tinted? UV protection doesn't need tint to do it's job.

My car gets too hot dark tint will keep it cool. Again the sun's heating component is infra-red and some window tint has that filtertratiion incorportated in it. Infra-red filteration doesn't need heavy tint as well.

The final arguement...I want my privacy. Alright stay home then. The public roads are just that...public. What you do in public is seen in public, so if you don't want anyone seeing you change your clothes in public then do it in your home not in your car.

And don't try the paranoia arguement cuz no matter what you do to conceal yourself, paranoia will expose you regardless of the attention you attract in your efforts to hide.

As for finding a safety check for illegal cars? They're out there, just ask any of the thousands of illegally safety checked cars where they get theirs from and you'll find them.

What's on my car? 35% titanium tint and yes you can see right thru it.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                Darkest legal tint is 20% (including factory tint) but you probably already know that.

We all know why there is a maximum allowable tint. The most obvious is the laws that protect our law enforcement officials who must be able to see the driver when pulling them over. Why? because hiding behind that 5% window tint could be the tip of the barrel of a 9mm Glock staring right at that cop's face he can't see.

But the second is the most common sense. Try backing up a car at night with 5% tint. Why make it harder?

Okay the arguement...the sun fades my car's upholstery. Dark tint won't protect your car, ultra-violet protection can. When was the last time you put sun-block on your skin that was tinted? UV protection doesn't need tint to do it's job.

My car gets too hot dark tint will keep it cool. Again the sun's heating component is infra-red and some window tint has that filtertratiion incorportated in it. Infra-red filteration doesn't need heavy tint as well.

The final arguement...I want my privacy. Alright stay home then. The public roads are just that...public. What you do in public is seen in public, so if you don't want anyone seeing you change your clothes in public then do it in your home not in your car.

And don't try the paranoia arguement cuz no matter what you do to conceal yourself, paranoia will expose you regardless of the attention you attract in your efforts to hide.

As for finding a safety check for illegal cars? They're out there, just ask any of the thousands of illegally safety checked cars where they get theirs from and you'll find them.

What's on my car? 35% titanium tint and yes you can see right thru it.

Cheers, I couldn't have said it better.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  Why does it seem like so many people have illegal tint on there windows... how do they get away with it???

Anyone got any good ideas about how to possibly get around a safety check inspection if you do happen to decide to get tint that is too dark?
                  You gotta have buddy who has a cousin named Jimmy who works for this shop in the back of an industrial building down behind the old trees and up the dirt path who will sign your safety check as a friend-of-friend-of-friend favor.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                    You gotta have buddy who has a cousin named Jimmy who works for this shop in the back of an industrial building down behind the old trees and up the dirt path who will sign your safety check as a friend-of-friend-of-friend favor.
                    Brandon - You hear what beaker said???

Sound familiar from a PM?

Comment

Years ago, when pay-to-tint first started, my wife had a policeman friend who was in the business get our car's windows tinted. Worked great, until safety check (i.e., insurance check, mostly) time came due. Scraped the film off the windows to pass the otherwise scam inspection process, and since, enter a fouler mood everytime when I cannot even see into a vehicle at a common intersection to see if someone is even looking out of the driver's seat.

I'm surprised that someone ticketed for a seat belt violation in Hawaii has not not yet sued (resulting in either tinting enforcement to cease or cease "see-through-the-windows" 'crime' detection) police for some sort of discrimination/unjust law enforcement action. Why police ticket me for my not wearing my seat belt when NO-One can see a lot of other people in the driver's seat: wearing a seat-belt, snorting a line, or driving with one eye closed because they're so drunk two eyes would make them erratically?
                      Last edited by waioli kai; September 12, 2006, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Hell I can be a cop if I wanted to and use my best judgement to pull over who ever and whenever. There are two cop behaviors: reactive and proactive in police work. Whether or not the cop wants to ticket, his/her Chief points out what needs to be enforced at the time. Reactive police work happens when someone parks in the red zone-bam! a ticket...proactive works the opposite-going out and seeking the "hot spots" for drug trafficing and whatnot.

Whether or not this tint thing gets on my nerves, its the law. But I think my tinted windows makes my car look better. Black on black is just way too sexy. (as long as its not raining)

my 2cents,

Brandon
                        Last edited by hawaiifiveoh; September 12, 2006, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I'm surprised that someone ticketed for a seat belt violation in Hawaii has not not yet sued
                          I remember reading recently where a local wahine got off in court on a seat belt violation because she was wearing the shoulder harness under her arm....

Her defense was that if she wore the seat belt over her arm... it cut off her blood circulation to her arm therefore putting her arm to sleep and making it a "medical condition"

Comment

I sympathize with the cops who have to meet their monthly quotas for ticketing drivers...if indeed there is such a thing as quotas in that regard. It would be pretty intimidating to pull over locals, or anyone, who is behind some of these tinted window vehicles. Anyone driving such vehicles SHOULD be pulled over AND police officers should have the devices to check their windows just as they they have the devices to do breath analyses on the spot.

Comment

Here's one more reason why heavy window tinting is no good. If your windows are tinted too dark, bicyclists who want to cross in front of your car won't be able to see your face to tell whether or not you've seen them.

The foolish ones will assume that sure, you must have seen them, even if in reality you're yakking on your cell phone and looking over your shoulder at the oncoming traffic, and will cross in front of you when you're emerging from a driveway or approaching an intersection. WHAM.

The cautious ones will stop and peer at you as they slooooooowwwwlyyy inch forward, until they can see your face for sure. You'll stare at them, puzzled and annoyed, wondering how come they don't just cross in front of you. After all, you're looking straight at them and waving them on! Guess what buddy -- nobody can tell that you're doing those things because your windows are too damn dark.

Comment

Working...
                              X