P.F. Chang's China Bistro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.F. Chang's China Bistro

P.F. Chang's China Bistro opens today, a bit later than originally scheduled, at Hokua. Seating for 280 seats, including a 72-seat bar, a staff of 160 serving "flavors of sichuan" entrees ranging in price from $8.95 to $15.95. A second restaurant is planned at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center.

Anyone know anything about this chain? How's the food? I imagine it's version of "Chinese" food will differ from what's evolved locally to be called the same. Is it going after the same crowd that flocks to Romano's Macaroni Grill and The Cheesecake Factory? Do any of the big local restauranteurs have any reason to worry?

Re: P.F. Chang's China Bistro

This restaurant is being brought in by Duncan MacNaughton and the Coffee Partners group. This is the same ohana that brought us Blockbuster Video, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Nike Town, etc. I love Szechuan, and you really can't get that at Panda, haha. I noticed at the old Kahala Tony Roma's is a restaurant called something that looks like P Chin's Szechuan, and I wondered if they were banking on some kinda copy-cat look or logo to draw in the fans of P.F. Chang's China Bistro.
    I've been needling this group into bringing us Ikea but now I've outgrown that stuff. Maybe Trader Joe's? This group always seems to be ahead of the curve when it comes to what to bring to Hawaii.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

PZ...P.F. Chang's is pretty good as far as Chain restaurants go. They ARE a bit pricey tho' We have them here in LA, and I love the food. They actualy give you a choice of Brown or white rice which is nice (rhyme scheme?) and they have some really great dishes...slightly unconventional, neuveau Chinese, and the decor inside is that new,"upscale" Asian style.

Nice place, good food....great , I imagine for tourists who like their Hawaii to look like "home", wherever that is. Me? I don't think I'd eat at a PF CHangs while visiting Hawaii, cos I'm more into trying the local stuff.

Try it out, but bring extra money :-)
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

We have one in NorCal too. A bit pricey, okay food. The best part is they will bring the food out to your car if you are picking up. A nice service if you have kids or if parking is tough.

Comment

So where on Ala Moana Blvd is the Hokua building?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            It's one of those new condos near the Ward area. At least, I think that's where it is.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Like what's been said so far, it's a tad pricey, but it's good and worth a try if you've never been. I like it because some of the sauces are lighter than I'm used to and it's rather nice. I've been to several different PF Changs while on vacation and everytime, I've had to wait at least an hour or more (thankfully they've been around malls or other stores, so I could wander while waiting) - so I'd definitely make reservations if they're taking them.

-k

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                It's one of those new condos near the Ward area. At least, I think that's where it is.
                Scary that this doesn't narrow it down much, eh? There are so many condo towers going up around town, most with that blue-green glass look, that it's impossible to keep them all straight.

Hokua is at 1288 Ala Moana. Of the new additions to the skyline, it's pretty hard to miss. It's ginormous. Corner of Ala Moana and Queen/Auahi. Here's a Google Maps satellite view.
                Last edited by pzarquon; September 12, 2006, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Seeing the new but as yet unopen PF Chang's about cinched moving back to Hawaii for my daughter! She loves that restaurant and for several Christmases prior to the deaths of her grandparents, Staci gave them a gift certificate for a once a month dinner from PF Chang's, delivered to their home by her! The 3 of them became PFC addicts!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Scary that this doesn't narrow it down much, eh? There are so many condo towers going up around town, most with that blue-green glass look, that it's impossible to keep them all straight.

Hokua is at 1288 Ala Moana. Of the new additions to the skyline, it's pretty hard to miss. It's ginormous. Corner of Ala Moana and Queen/Auahi. Here's a Google Maps satellite view.
                    Well, sorry about that. Looks like you could paddle straight out to Tennis Courts for a good surfing session--that is if you make enough money to pay the mortgage PLUS the $1K monthly maintenance fee. Too rich for me!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                      It's located just Diamond Head of the IBM Building, right at the bend as you turn onto Auahi St. I passed by it this morning on my way to Borders.

Comment

I do enjoy their lettuce wraps, but it's rare that I go there unless it's our whole office going (on the company dime.) Otherwise, there are just so many better Asian restaurants in Seattle --- and I would wager that Hawai`i has many, many more, and better ones still.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                          Well, sorry about that. Looks like you could paddle straight out to Tennis Courts for a good surfing session--that is if you make enough money to pay the mortgage PLUS the $1K monthly maintenance fee. Too rich for me!
                          Even if it fit your 'budget', lavagal, it appears all of the units are already reserved. Amazing. My guess is that the majority of people who can afford these units will end up paying cash and the $1k+ monthly maint. fees won't be an effort at all. I wonder if PF Chang's will offer room service!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            Otherwise, there are just so many better Asian restaurants in Seattle --- and I would wager that Hawai`i has many, many more, and better ones still.
                            Like Kin Wah Chop Suey in Kaneohe. Still going strong after all these years.

Leo, don't forget about that "duh eh" and "sai oh fai lai".

Another hidden gem is Phoenix Chinese Cuisine, located next door to The Shack in Hawaii Kai Shopping Center. We ordered take-out from there recently. Excellent.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                              Leo, don't forget about that "duh eh" and "sai oh fai lai".
                              Still one source of unrestrained laughter in our home...

Comment

Working...
                              X