Hawaii = Longer Life Span

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii = Longer Life Span

Heard on the radio today that a study shows that people who live in Hawaii live longer than in any other state.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Re: Hawaii = Longer Life Span

Well we do have a lot of Japanese here...and I would also say Green tea seems to be popular....etc.
    A study of more than 40,000 men and women in Japan has found that those who drink a lot of green tea live longer, researchers said on Tuesday....
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060912/hl_nm/tea_dc

Comment

This dorky local news site covered the study yesterday:

Hawaii residents may live longest
      Lucky you live Hawaii. The life expectancy in the islands is 80 years, according to a new Harvard University study, the highest in the nation. Researchers noted, however, that Hawaii’s advantage is partly statistical, due to its small size and small number of counties. Other "healthy states" include California, Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Vermont and Washington, all with a combined male and female life expectancy topping 78 years. [...] At the county level, Asian women in Bergen County, N.J., had the highest life expectancy at 91 years, whereas Native American males in some South Dakota counties had the lowest at 58 years.
      While it's nice to be number one in something good, I think the statistical quirks noted are good reason not to get too excited. The overall findings, though, are interesting -- that some heavily-emphasized risk factors aren't quite as influential as previously thought.

Comment

The downside to the longevity is that Hawai'i's population is aging more rapidly than anywhere else. Hawai'i already has a serious shortage of services and facilities to help the elderly, and that shortage will only get more severe as time goes on.

Those facilities that are available are pricey, too: on Maui, to have one person living in a private memory care unit in an assisted living center (includes a shared bathroom, all meals, air conditioning and activities) costs about $4,500/mo with no government subsidy; a full care nursing home costs $8k/mo with no subsidy, adult day care costs about $1k/mo.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
          Heard on the radio today that a study shows that people who live in Hawaii live longer than in any other state.

Yes, I'm the cold water guy. Too many ideas running around my head.

Hawaii's longevity has little to do with Hawaii, modern Hawaiian lifestyles or diets. It is mostly related to the high numbers of immigrant races that tend to live longer no matter where they live. Japan, China are the tops.

Why do Japanese and Chinese live longer? Many like to claim its the diet. But have you ever gone to a Chinese dinner and watched them down 9 courses of fat laden, carbo heavy, meat meat meat?

Diet my elemu.

The reason Japanese and Chinese tend to live longer is probably more related to the fact that they are short and tend to be skinny (regardless of diet and exercise). Yes, it is also a fact that taller people die sooner than short people. It is also a fact that fat people die sooner than thin people on average.

How many FAT centenarians do you know of? (Answer: None)
          How many 7 foot centenarians do you know of? (Answer: None)
          How many short and skinny centenarians do you know of? (Answer: Plenty)

Cardiologists suggest that its simply more work to have to pump blood up a few more inches for 80 years. And in a weaker system, when things do start to go wrong, the tall and/or fat man gets the stroke or heart attack first.

Same reason women live longer than men on average. Height and weight.

There you go? Nothing to do with Hawaii really. Its all about immigrant genetics.
          Last edited by kamuelakea; September 12, 2006, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Besides the asian thing...

Hawaii is a beautiful place that inspires people to live... why wouldn't you want to live a long time in a place like this?

Most the world is not so fortunate to live in a land with so much love and aloha.

Many of us that have came from the "mainland" decided to stay because of many things like the clean air, the beaches and ocean, but MOST IMPORTANTLY the PEOPLE HERE!

People inspire people to live and be happy here....!

Nuff said.

Comment

I think it could be a little of both. Clean air for sure. More Unspoiled land, with less industry pumping out pollution into the air and ground. Less people, less cars per capita. Also, the islands are surrounded by water and the tradewinds probably blow away much of the exaust and other pollutants...right out to sea. Then there is the rain,nature's way of cleansing...you guys get plenty of that too. Probably more fish in the diet that someone in say, Kansas...let's not forget that.

Then there is the lifestyle. It's been said many times that the hawaiian way is a more relaxed, slower lifestyle than the rat race, high paced mainland. The Aloha factor, like manoa said.
              Less stress = a longer life.

I think it's a combination of things.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                I think it could be a little of both. Clean air for sure. More Unspoiled land, with less industry pumping out pollution into the air and ground. Less people, less cars per capita. Also, the islands are surrounded by water and the tradewinds probably blow away much of the exaust and other pollutants...right out to sea. Then there is the rain,nature's way of cleansing...you guys get plenty of that too. Probably more fish in the diet that someone in say, Kansas...let's not forget that.

Then there is the lifestyle. It's been said many times that the hawaiian way is a more relaxed, slower lifestyle than the rat race, high paced mainland. The Aloha factor, like manoa said.
                Less stress = a longer life.

I think it's a combination of things.

Then why do Native Hawaiians have the shortest lifespans of all ethnicities in Hawaii?

Seems like Hawaiians, by your cause and effect, should be living to 150?

Comment

Well your talking native Hawaiians? Dang... I don't wanna go there...
                  However, I can present this to you:
                  In 2000, the most recent year for which state estimates are available, people born in Hawai'i had a life expectancy of 80 years, three years longer than the U.S. average. When Hawai'i's life expectancy for 2000 is compared to that of the rest of the world, Hawai'i is fifth, behind Andorra, San Marino,1 Japan, and Singapore.2
                  http://www.healthtrends.org/status_life_expect.aspx

And in the same article it does mention that women live longer than men

So party up guys... we only have a short time on this planet compared to our Alpha Females!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    The downside to the longevity is that Hawai'i's population is aging more rapidly than anywhere else. Hawai'i already has a serious shortage of services and facilities to help the elderly, and that shortage will only get more severe as time goes on.
                    And this is why all of you baby boomers on the mainland should just stay there when you get to retirement age, instead of making plans to come back and grow old in the islands. Do the next generation of Hawaii residents a favor and tax the resources of the states you currently reside in instead.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                      Yes, it is also a fact that taller people die sooner than short people. It is also a fact that fat people die sooner than thin people on average.
                      Man...I am so screwed!!!!! According to Kea, I'm dying next week!!! LOL!!!!
                      "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

Must be big news!...SECRET TRAVEL TRIVIA question Today on Regis and kelly Live was ....what state has the longest life span....Hawai'i!
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          And this is why all of you baby boomers on the mainland should just stay there when you get to retirement age, instead of making plans to come back and grow old in the islands. Do the next generation of Hawaii residents a favor and tax the resources of the states you currently reside in instead.
                          Actually, PJ, when I come back, I fully intend to work on solutions to help the kupuna survive. I have the experience and training now to be able to help make some changes so the kupuna don't have to worry about who's going to take care of them or where they will live when they become too feeble to manage on their own, if they don't want to rely on their ohana or have no one else to take care of them.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

...or you could just go back home for the simple joy of knowing that Joe will be upset that you came back to disrupt his private paradise. At least you would be returning home - I would be an invader.

Comment

a "spaced invader"

I loved that game

Comment

Working...
                              X