Second Stop: Eternal Sunshine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Stop: Eternal Sunshine

Leaving this january for a study abroad in barcelona and then moving to hawaii for some much needed time away from the grind of every day life. any advice on moving, living, etc? and does anyone know about being an esl teacher over there? <3
    "Life is like the surf. So give yourself away to the sea."

Re: Second Stop: Eternal Sunshine

Originally posted by wanderlust06
    and then moving to hawaii for some much needed time away from the grind of every day life.
    Yeah, because everybody knows that there is no "grind of every day life" in Hawai`i. It's a happy aned carefree paradise here, where people live in little grass shacks on the beach and fish and surf all day with none of the worries about jobs or bills or anything.
    Yessiree. No "grind of every day life" here at all.

I don't know where people get these ridiculous fantasies.
    [/grumble]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

well if anything, the sunshine will make the grind all the more easier...it does rain in oregon 9 months out of the year. and taking time off school...that just spells freedom. mmmm

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        I don't know where people get these ridiculous fantasies.
        [/grumble]
        From all the hapa-haole songs, that's my guess. (Now, where did that Little Brown Gal go, with my glass of Tiny Bubbles? Probably over there in My Little Grass Shack. I hope this doesn't make me late for the Hukilau - I hope to run into the `Ukulele Lady again.)

Comment

Eternal sunshine....maybe More than usual sunshine.....Good thing you missed the 40days 40nights of rain! Other than that Awkward period of time, Hawaii is one of the greatest places to live!! E komo mai.

* tips *

1) When you start driving down a highway called H-1 and the people start getting darker and darker and see a sign that says "Waianae"....TURN AROUND!

2) Please use your blinker (turning signal) when making turns, and if someone waves~this means they're letting you turn first...& remember to wave back as a "thanks".

3) Please don't try to blend in too quickly ~ by buying the aloha attire, shades and a visor....bring who you are and let the islands blend in slowly ~ you'll be surprised with what kind of characters these islands create.

4) And PLEEEEEZ Do Not, do Not purchase a home, stay for couple months then sell it for an obscene amount and raise everyones LAND TAX.

Stick to some of these tips and you'll do just fine, and if I think of anymore I'll be sure to let you know...nice meeting you, take care

A Hui Hou, (until we meet again)

KaYa T
          sigpic

Comment

mmm yea last year here we had rain from mid october till right before christmas..non stop....a lil break and then it just kept pourin...man i sure am going to miss that! thanks for the advice and please if you have anymore le me know. hey ya know i wouldn't mind living in a grass shack ...haha

Comment

mmm yea last year here we had rain from mid october till right before christmas..non stop....a lil break and then it just kept pourin...man i sure am going to miss that!
              Ahhhh, the beautiful Christmas Rain coating the trees with a beautiful sheen! Slipping on the rotten slimy maple leaves that cover the ground from Sept to January!
              I would take ice or snow over the rainy Christmas's. That's one thing I can safely say no matter where in the world I move to, I will not miss!
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW
                [...]1) When you start driving down a highway called H-1 and the people start getting darker and darker and see a sign that says "Waianae"....TURN AROUND![...]
                Oooooooooh...OUCH! I'm a haole female, have lived in Makaha for 14 years and absolutely love it. It's not without it's problems but it definitely doesn't warrant a "TURN AROUND". Search HT on the word...Makaha.
                Last edited by tutusue; September 14, 2006, 03:27 PM. Reason: felt like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW
                  Eternal sunshine....maybe More than usual sunshine.....Good thing you missed the 40days 40nights of rain! Other than that Awkward period of time, Hawaii is one of the greatest places to live!! E komo mai.

* tips *

1) When you start driving down a highway called H-1 and the people start getting darker and darker and see a sign that says "Waianae"....TURN AROUND!

KaYa T
                  I think tutusue would disagree....;-)
                  I stayed in Makaha last year and it was ok. No problems.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

oops...she must have been posting same time as me and beat me to the (Hawaiian) punch.
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

the sunshine will make the grind all the more easier...it does rain in oregon 9 months out of the year.
                      Well, yeah, it never rains here in Hawai`i. The reason we have all these dense tropical rainforests and thundering waterfalls and daily rainbows and all that lush foliage everywhere is because it's always sunny and because it doesn't rain here.
                      Uh-huh.

Like, oh, you know, those 43 straight days of rain that we had just six months ago.
                      Uh-huh.

And FYI, the wettest place (highest annual rainfall) on planet earth is in, you know... Hawai`i.

[/scratching head at comments from those who apparently come from another planet]

I'm not trying to be mean to ya, Wanderlust06. I'm just trying to point out some facts that perhaps have escaped your attention, that's all.
                      Last edited by LikaNui; September 14, 2006, 02:07 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

well if anything, the sunshine will make the grind all the more easier...it does rain in oregon 9 months out of the year. and taking time off school...that just spells freedom. mmmm
                        Where are you from in Oregon? I find that it's not the rain that bugs me here, it's the eternal overcast that comes with it. That and the fact that it almost never rains when it's a reasonable temperature outside, so you can't open the window and enjoy the sound/view

Comment

Or the 70 degree winter days then 6 inches of snow the next morning?? It's unpredictable! And...Adventurous!!
                          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                          Sharing withother survivors...
                          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                            Oooooooooh...OUCH! I'm a haole female, have lived in Makaha for 14 years and absolutely love it. It's not without it's problems but it definitely doesn't warrant a "TURN AROUND". Search HT on the word...Makaha.

Whoa, it was suppose to be funny ~ that was something I heard on Augie T's comedy Hour...maybe doesn't have the same effect when I say it...

I've lived in Kailua Oahu my whole life ~ and I visited Waianae, Nanakuli, Makaha for the first time, when I was 20...20 geez, I've been to Tahiti 4 times, Japan, Mainland, Samoa, Australia by the time I turned 19, benn to all these places BEFORE I ever seen Waianae with my own 2 eyes....not cuz there was something wrong with it...My papa *ol hawaiian man" said,"its the same view but just from a different spot" So was never interested in going......then at 20 met the HuBby, family from Nanakuli..Oh my word! first experience there...man gets murdered at park.* memba that couple years ago, geez laaweez, I was there!,well not there there, but at the same park same time" Never been back since.
                            But I'm sure its a lovely place
                            sigpic

Comment

While you're in Barcelona, drive up north to France and come and visit with me. www.rogerhallett.com
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X