Don't eat your spinach!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't eat your spinach!

The FDA announced today that fresh prepackaged spinach is the apparent cause of an e.coli outbreak that has killed one person and seriously sickened 50 others in 8 states.

{QUOTE]An outbreak of E. coli in eight states has left at least one person dead and 50 others sick, federal health officials said Thursday in warning consumers nationwide not to eat bagged fresh spinach.

The death occurred in Wisconsin, where 20 others were also sickened, said Dr. David Acheson of the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. The outbreak has sickened others -- eight of them seriously -- in Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon and Utah.

FDA officials do not know the source of the outbreak other than it appears to be linked to bagged spinach. "We're advising people not to eat it," Acheson said.

The outbreak has affected a mix of ages, but most of the cases have involved women, Acheson told reporters in a conference call. He had no further information on the person who died.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Wisconsin health officials alerted the FDA about the outbreak Wednesday. Preliminary analysis suggests the same bug is responsible for the outbreak in all eight states.

The warning applied to consumers nationwide because of uncertainty over the origin of the tainted spinach and how widely it was distributed.[/QUOTE]

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; September 14, 2006, 05:21 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Don't eat your spinach!

Thanks for the notification! I love to eat spinach but after seeing this I probably will stop eating it. Did the report said where the bagged spinach was sold at? I usually buy my bagged spinach at Costco here in Honolulu.
    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Whoa..Thankx for the MEMO...I just bought a package of frozen spinach to make Spinach & pork stew....aww shux....& I really was hungry for that..... how bout spasgetti..[/FONT]
      sigpic

Comment

frozen spinach cooked should be okay?
        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
          frozen spinach cooked should be okay?
          Yes. frozen spinach should be OK, especially if you're cooking it. It's the fresh stuff that's in bags (like from Dole) that are all suspect. The FDA can't pinpoint lot numbers or vendors, so it's best to just stick to frozen or fresh spinach that's NOT prebagged (the stuff that comes in bunches with roots and stems).

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Yes. frozen spinach should be OK, especially if you're cooking it. It's the fresh stuff that's in bags (like from Dole) that are all suspect. The FDA can't pinpoint lot numbers or vendors, so it's best to just stick to frozen or fresh spinach that's NOT prebagged (the stuff that comes in bunches with roots and stems).

Miulang
            Yeaaay, perfrect I can have my spinach pork, mahalo Miulang!!!
            sigpic

Comment

This brings to mind the recommendation that people always wash their lettuce and vegies prior to eating them, even "prewashed, prepackage" lettuce and spinach.

Comment

I can hear popeye crying...
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Not really, Popeye tend to use canned spinach. Maybe one cartoon adventure he might have used unpick spinach for that extra strength boost to beat up Bluto (or Brutus).

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                    This brings to mind the recommendation that people always wash their lettuce and vegies prior to eating them, even "prewashed, prepackage" lettuce and spinach.
                    Definately.

Still, in today's report, washing has been determined ineffective in this case:

"If you wash it, it is not going to get rid of it," said Robert Brackett, director of the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Nutrition. The FDA warned people not to eat bagged spinach and said washing it wouldn't solve the problem because the bacteria is too tightly attached."

I usually don't add fresh (raw) spinach to salads. In fact, the only dish I can remember preparing with it was stuffed Manicotti (a large tube-shaped pasta), which is stuffed with spinach (cooked down first), then combined with Ricotta, Parm' and Mozzarella cheeses, Italian Sausage, basil and thyme. Ono!

I can hear Popeye now.. "Ug Ug Ug ugug gug ug u u g g g ug u g # % @ # _ _ _ "
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

For anybody who cares, the bad spinach was tracked down to a California distributor called Natural Selection Foods. It sells bagged spinach under the following labels:

Bellissima

Cheney Brothers

Coastline

Compliments

Cross Valley

D'Arrigo Brothers

Dole

Earthbound Farm

Emeril

Fresh Point

Green Harvest

Jansal Valley

Mann

Mills Family Farm

Natural Selection Foods

Nature's Basket

O Organic

Premium Fresh

President's Choice

Pride of San Juan

Pro-Mark

Rave Spinach

Ready Pac

River Ranch

Riverside Farms

Snoboy

Superior

Sysco

Tanimura & Antle

The Farmer's Market

Trader Joe's

Sysco for one is a vendor who sells to restaurants all across the country, so if you're planning to dine out over the next few days, make sure you don't have fresh spinach on your plate!

Miulang

Comment

i was at pizza hut tonight and they didnt have any spinach =p
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

For anybody who cares, the bad spinach was tracked down to a California distributor called Natural Selection Foods. It sells bagged spinach under the following labels:

Bellissima

Cheney Brothers

Coastline

Compliments

Cross Valley

D'Arrigo Brothers

Dole

Earthbound Farm

Emeril

Fresh Point

Green Harvest

Jansal Valley

Mann

Mills Family Farm

Natural Selection Foods

Nature's Basket

O Organic

Premium Fresh

President's Choice

Pride of San Juan

Pro-Mark

Rave Spinach

Ready Pac

River Ranch

Riverside Farms

Snoboy

Superior

Sysco

Tanimura & Antle

The Farmer's Market

Trader Joe's

Sysco for one is a vendor who sells to restaurants all across the country, so if you're planning to dine out over the next few days, make sure you don't have fresh spinach on your plate!

Miulang
                          IIRC, "Earthbound Farm" is the brand carried by Down to Earth.

I love that stuff. :::Sniff::::

I am wondering if I have developed an immunity to E Coli infections, after all the years of inhaling. (It's a nurse thing...)

I know...TMI, TMI.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                            I am wondering if I have developed an immunity to E Coli infections, after all the years of inhaling. (It's a nurse thing...)
                            I know what you mean. The hospital environment (especially the patients' rooms) is a breeding ground of germ contamination. The waterless soap and handwashing in general are good practice to keep.

Perhaps the next heath craze will be the "immune system maintenance diet", a.k.a. the "IS Maintain diet".

Goji Juice.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                              washing has been determined ineffective in this case:
                              "If you wash it, it is not going to get rid of it," said Robert Brackett, director of the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Nutrition. The FDA warned people not to eat bagged spinach and said washing it wouldn't solve the problem because the bacteria is too tightly attached."
                              The reports I've seen say that it is likely the e. coli was from improperly processed cow manure which got into the irrigation water, so the bacteria was drawn up into the plants' cell structures - thus, no amount of washing can get to it.
                              so if you're planning to dine out over the next few days, make sure you don't have fresh spinach on your plate!
                              Along with stores, most restaurants have pulled spinach from their dishes as well, usually substituting kale in cooked dishes, and arugula in raw ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X