3rd party batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd party batteries

Reading one of the iPod posts, I noticed some comments about proprietary batteries for digital cameras, etc.

For work, one of the cameras I use is a Nikon D1 (yeah, it's old, but a workhorse), and a big issue with that camera has been the EN-4 battery which has a notoriously short duration of use. I was using two Nikon EN-4s, which I ran into the ground (last football season they would only last a half, requiring recharging while transmitting - and that's without chimping).

I had heard good things about batteries that Polaroid makes. So I went and bought two (at $38 a piece versus the almost $100-per for the Nikon EN-4). I did the usual charge - refresh three times, then put them into use. I can go for at least a full game on one battery, with heavy chimping. If it's just a general assignment day, then I can go a day or two on one battery. Absolutely stellar batteries. And from what I understand, they also make batteries for other digital cameras.

Re: 3rd party batteries

After a bad experience with a Canon digicam's proprietary battery, I swore never again. All of my digicams since used AAs, so I could use rechargables but also duck into the nearest ABC Store or whatever for a boost if I ever ran out of juice.

I finally broke down, though, and got another camera with a proprietary battery, a Lumix FZ-10K. I'm still nervous I'm going to get stuck one day. But, I bought a second battery, an off-brand, and both it and the original have served me quite well. With moderate use, actually, I've gone a week on one. When I'm burning through hundreds of photos at one event, I've only gotten scared enough to switch batteries once... besides that, they sure last longer than the Canon's battery pack did.

Comment

Since I have an iPod, I've gotten used to having proprietary batteries. The battery life sucks, but I'm never more than 5 hours out of the house.

But because of this, I've stopped using my walkman because that takes 2 AA batteries. I'm too lazy to spend $3.50 on a 2 pack of AA batteries to get the news in the morning on my bus ride to school, so I just use my iPod.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

CostCo's Kirkland brand AA Alkaline batteries sell for about $12 for a pack of 48 batteries. Which might last me about 3 to 5 months depending on what I am doing.

All the cameras I own both film and digital take batteries that can be found at Longs or Radio Shack. And I try as much as possible to get stuff that runs on AA or AAA batteries since I get it at bulk from CostCo at a good price. I do have stuff that runs on the 9 volt, C, D and the CR123 batteries but I'm better off getting it from whoever is selling it close by.

Comment

I've heard horror stories about the iPod battery life, but mine runs for at least eight hours on a full charge. The key is to limit changing playlists (or going to and from different artists/albums) -- running the hard drive sucks life -- and to be sure to keep the EQ set to "off."

Comment

Originally posted by dick
            I've heard horror stories about the iPod battery life, but mine runs for at least eight hours on a full charge. The key is to limit changing playlists (or going to and from different artists/albums) -- running the hard drive sucks life -- and to be sure to keep the EQ set to "off."
            Yeah. I just leave mine on a long playlist (usually w/ 100+ songs) and just sleep on the bus. I don't use the EQ, but I hope in the next version, it'll be improved.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
            X