How would you rank car makers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you rank car makers?

From what I gotten from my friends, imports are very reliable nowadays, but domestics are catching up. For a new car shopper like me, how would you rank car makers?

EDIT: for overall (price, reliability, etc)
    Last edited by adrian; September 15, 2006, 08:48 PM.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: How would you rank car makers?

Originally posted by doc1456
    From what I gotten from my friends, imports are very reliable nowadays, but domestics are catching up. For a new car shopper like me, how would you rank car makers?
    Are you talking price or quality? For quality, the imports still are better than domestic. But you have to realize that even "domestic" cars have imported parts and "foreign" cars can be made in the US!

Of the American cars, I have heard that Chevrolet now makes some pretty decent cars that are good quality and reasonable in cost. Me? I have a Nissan with a sunroof, made in JAPAN. With the problems Ford is facing, if you want cheap, a Ford might be the way to go over the next year.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I rank them somewhere well behind teachers and somewhere ahead of lawyers.
      Last edited by scrivener; September 15, 2006, 08:59 PM. Reason: "i'm alone again...without you..."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Anybody have any experience with Hyundai?

I've been scanning reviews lately and some of the Hyundai products get rave reviews. Seem to get a lot for the money with them, too. Great warranty.

Any opinions?

Comment

I'm curious, I heard a rumor that either GM or Ford has some stakes in Toyota. If this rumor is true, maybe it's with Toyota, U.S.A. ventures rather than it's parent company. Anyone hear of information on this?

For me, I'm driving a Toyota while my wife is driving a Honda. If I had to choose one, I prefer Toyota.

Comment

I think it is GM that has an alliance with Toyota. For several years Toyota and GM had a joint venture called "Geo". They made the Geo Prizm based on the Toyota Corolla and also the Geo Metro. Toyota also made a version of the Chevy Nova. Geo was eventually folded into Chevy where the Prizm continued for maybe another year. Presently the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe are basically the same car.

Ford has part ownership of Mazda, among several other firms.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
              Anybody have any experience with Hyundai?
              My wife's family have always been strong supporters of the American Automobile Manufacturers, however, my father-in-law decided on an import, and chose a Hyundai. He has been extremely satisfied with his choice, has not had any major problems, and enjoys the lower costs than the higher priced imports. He is now on his second Hyundai purchase last year.

Thanks for sharing, mel. I just thought of another look-a-like: Mazda Tribute and Ford Escape.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake's Ohana
                Thanks for sharing, mel. I just thought of another look-a-like: Mazda Tribute and Ford Escape.
                Also:

Chevy Silverado = GMC Sierra
                Ford F150 = Lincoln Mark LT
                Ford Escape = Mazda Tribute = Mercury Mariner
                Ford Ranger = Mazda B-series truck
                Ford Explorer = Lincoln Aviator = Mercury Mountaineer
                Ford Expedition = Lincoln Navigator
                Ford Freestar = Mercury Monterey
                Ford Crown victoria = Lincoln Town Car = Mercury Grand Marquis = Mercury Marauder

There was a list on wikipedia that had all of the look-a-like cars, but I can't find it.

Originally posted by Miulang
                With the problems Ford is facing, if you want cheap, a Ford might be the way to go over the next year.
                As I drive my car everyday, I'm finding some good and bad things about it. So far, the bad is outpacing the good, so based on the cars in the garage, I'll go with Ford when I get either an SUV, or a truck (which won't be my first car).
                Last edited by adrian; September 15, 2006, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake's Ohana
                  My wife's family have always been strong supporters of the American Automobile Manufacturers, however, my father-in-law decided on an import, and chose a Hyundai. He has been extremely satisfied with his choice, has not had any major problems, and enjoys the lower costs than the higher priced imports. He is now on his second Hyundai purchase last year.
                  Thanks for the input. I was looking at the 2007 Santa Fe, specifically. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, the power is there, and I like the new styling.

My husband thinks the third-row seating is silly, but I'm thinking of the grandkids.

Comment

i love my Dodge RAM 1500

Comment

Adrian, should we assume you will be buying used, rather than new? That puts a whole new spin on this, if so.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                        Thanks for the input. I was looking at the 2007 Santa Fe, specifically. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, the power is there, and I like the new styling.

My husband thinks the third-row seating is silly, but I'm thinking of the grandkids.
                        Before buying my Murano in 2004, I looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe too. It's a nice car, solidly built with a good warranty and relatively inexpensive. But after reading all kinds of reviews and doing test drives, I got my Murano for its looks and the AWD and CVT transmission (when the car shifts gear, you can't feel it doing that...I think they're now using that transmission on the Altimas and some of their other cars, too...no need to worry about timing belts anymore!). Love that car, as do about 99& of all Murano owners.

The Koreans have really come a long way in their efforts to manufacture quality cars (they must have learned their processes from Toyota ).

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                          Adrian, should we assume you will be buying used, rather than new? That puts a whole new spin on this, if so.
                          Definately used.... unless by some miracle that a dealer will offer me a new car under the MSRP.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            Before buying my Murano in 2004, I looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe too. It's a nice car, solidly built with a good warranty and relatively inexpensive. But after reading all kinds of reviews and doing test drives, I got my Murano for its looks and the AWD and CVT transmission (when the car shifts gear, you can't feel it doing that...I think they're now using that transmission on the Altimas and some of their other cars, too...no need to worry about timing belts anymore!). Love that car, as do about 99& of all Murano owners.

The Koreans have really come a long way in their efforts to manufacture quality cars (they must have learned their processes from Toyota ).
                            I like the "relatively inexpensive" part. I've gotten "relatively frugal" in my old age .

I agree that the Murano looks like a great car, too, but I can't justify the extra cost to myself. I went to the Nissan site and did the "Build Your Car" thing. I made my car really nice.

So....back to the Hyundai site!

Still considering the new CR-V and the RAV 4, too.

Comment

Why not look into the Sonata? It's got great fit and finish, nice styling, and the V6 engine is impressive. Plus, it's 2 or 3 grand cheaper than the Camry and Accord.

Listen to your husband; don't buy a car you don't need. You'll pay for it in higher fuel costs and lower performance. If you buy a sedan instead of a SUV, then you'll really be thinking of the grandchildren.

Comment

Working...
                              X