Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight school

Aloha all !

I was wondering if somebody can recommend a flight school on O'ahu? I'm thinking of getting my privat pilot license.

Mahalo
    T

Re: Flight school

I'm sure there is...
    Next question... are you a citizen and how will you be paying for these lessons??

Good luck with getting your license.
    Last edited by damontucker; September 17, 2006, 06:50 PM. Reason: per recommendation

Comment

Looking for an affordable ( if there's something like that) school. I'm mostly looking for a recommendation, people who had a good experience while getting their license, or even someone who can tell me where NOT to go......etc....

Cheers

Comment

I was going to suggest Honolulu Community College but their program is for training of commerical pilots.

Disclaimer: While I do work for Honolulu Community College, my job there has nothing to do with Commerical Aviation program, so I couldn't add anything else to what's presented in the web site link.
        Last edited by helen; September 17, 2006, 06:59 PM. Reason: adding more text to the disclaimer

Comment

I did a couple of lessons through Flight School Hawaii (http://www.flightschoolhawaii.com). I have a friend of mine who is training at George's Aviation (http://www.georgesaviation.com). I'm not sure if there are others, but I'm sure they are all similarly priced.
          -Arturo

Comment

There's that flight school on Lagoon Drive somewhere.

But no do da lolo thing and try learn to fly the way I learned to swim. My uncle threw me outta his fishing boat in the middle of Hilo Bay back in the early 60's (before child abuse laws) and said, "Boy swim to da boat". Yeah no work the same way by being tossed out of an airplane to learn to fly. Da body jus no can do dat one
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There's no real "affordable" way to do it. Of course, depends on how well off you are financially! :-)

Figure on 50 to 70 hours of training at about $70 per hour, plus instruction time to get your ticket.

If you just want to fly that's one thing.

But if you want to go pro, then you might want to hook up with HCC. They'll probably have good contacts for you to continue training (or get a real job later) and possibly earn hours in other ways.

Some pilots earn hours as instructors, too, so that's something worth considering.

In any case, if you're interested, find a way to pay for it all and go for it. You will never regret the experience!

Comment

There is definately a free way to learn to fly...join the U.S. Air Force and be a cargo hauler not one of those hot snot fly boys that fly the fighter jets although I think Hawaiian Airlines must mandate that pilots flying their MD-11's into Molokai must be Carrier-certified to land on that driveway they touch down on every day.

Comment

Hey thanks for all your suggestions and info. Keep'em coming

Comment

Check up with some of the above mentioned places as I believe some of these flight schools offer some form or access to financial aid.

Comment

Try Pacific Air Charters, my ex-husband's outfit. They do flight instruction, in addition to charters, and they are very good.

Incidentally, I met my then-future husband when I was working on my private pilot certificate at Aurora State Airport in Oregon. I ran the counter and the radio to help pay for my lessons. I also washed and fueled the aircraft, and did whatever else I could to immerse myself in aviation. Those were the days. I was going to be a commercial pilot, but found out I had a heart problem during a solo takeoff one day. Yow! So I married one instead.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                        I'm sure there is...
                        Next question... are you a citizen and how will you be paying for these lessons??
                        LOL, Manoa thought the same thing for a second...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          found out I had a heart problem during a solo takeoff one day.
                          Holy crap! You found out DURING a solo takeoff!?! There's got to be a story in that experience.

Comment

I think everybody get's a heart problem on a solo flight.

Comment

Working...
                            X