X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford and GM have discussed merger, alliance: report

Source

I hope this won't go through.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Senior executives at General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. have discussed a merger or alliance, industry newspaper Automotive News reported on Monday.

Citing several sources familiar with the talks, the paper said it is not clear whether the negotiations will bear fruit.

As of now, the two companies are not holding talks, and one source says there is a slim chance that anything will come of the situation, Automotive News said.

GM and Ford were not immediately available for comment.
    I mean, Nissan and Ford once had an alliance, creating the Nissan Quest and the Windstar, but that eventually broke off. This is like AMD merging with Intel.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Ford and GM have discussed merger, alliance: report

Originally posted by doc1456
    Source

I hope this won't go through.

I mean, Nissan and Ford once had an alliance, creating the Nissan Quest and the Windstar, but that eventually broke off. This is like AMD merging with Intel.
    Well, the new CEO of Ford, Alan Mulally, does have merger experience (Boeing bought out McDonnell Douglas). But would Ford want to be bought out by GM? I don't think so. It would be somewhat logical if one were to look at having a "national" brand to defend against all the imports, though. That is Boeing's strength...it has no other domestic competitors.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Well, the new CEO of Ford, Alan Mulally, does have merger experience (Boeing bought out McDonnell Douglas). But would Ford want to be bought out by GM? I don't think so. It would be somewhat logical if one were to look at having a "national" brand to defend against all the imports, though. That is Boeing's strength...it has no other domestic competitors.

Miulang
      Doesn't Ford make most of the auto glass for domestic vehicles here in the U.S.? There's something else Ford makes for virtually all U.S. auto manufacturer's but I can't remember what it was.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        Doesn't Ford make most of the auto glass for domestic vehicles here in the U.S.? There's something else Ford makes for virtually all U.S. auto manufacturer's but I can't remember what it was.
        Those interval windshield wiper motors, maybe.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Those interval windshield wiper motors, maybe.

Miulang

I'm thinking it's the adjustable steering column?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Back in the early 80s, when Chrysler was just about to go under, Lee Iacocca had some super-secret meetings with Ford to discuss a merger. Ford wasn't interested, but Iacocca made a great argument, and I think it was to Ford's detriment (and Chrysler's eventual benefit) not to pursue this.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
            X