60,000 new homes for Oahu by 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60,000 new homes for Oahu by 2020

It'll be interesting to see how Oahu's infrastructure survives with the planned addition of another 60,000 housing units within the next 2 decades. Even if occupancy in each of the new units was only 2 people, that's an additional 120,000 people. If the people living in each housing unit only had 1 car (they probably would have 2 cars because Hawai'i traditionally has been tied to cars for commuting), that would still mean 60,000 more cars on the road. People gripe now about the traffic, crowded schools and deteriorating infrastructure, what'll it be like if all that new housing gets built? Sure, some of the units will be purchased by those who already live on Oahu, but the majority will probably be for people moving to Oahu.

And what about water and waste removal? Where would those people get their drinking water, and where will all the 'opala go? Like all the other counties, Honolulu had better start making some plans to limit growth now, before it's too late. And moving to a neighbor island won't solve the problem because all the neighbor islands have experienced more growth than Oahu already, without the corresponding growth in jobs unrelated to the tourist industry.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

60,000 new homes on O`ahu?!?!!

I'm pretty shocked about this front-page article in today's Advertiser:
    "Developers, encouraged by strong housing prices, plan to build roughly 60,000 new homes on O'ahu over the next two decades"

Let's say 2 people per home (and that's a minimum), then they want to add another 120,000 people to our already massively overcrowded island?!? Utilities already cannot keep up with demand, traffic congestion already an absolute nightmare, and they want another 60,000 homes?
    HELL NO!
    Demand a building moratorium NOW!
    Last edited by LikaNui; September 19, 2006, 02:03 PM. Reason: Thanks, Ryan!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: 60,000 new homes on O`ahu?!?!!

Originally posted by LikaNui
      then they want to add another 120,000 people to our already massively overcrowded island?!? :
      Perhaps they just want to move them out of their parents' homes?

Comment

Re: 60,000 new homes on O`ahu?!?!!

I noticed no mention of New schools in these planned areas. Are they planning on schools? Won't this create overcrowding at many of our already overcrowded schools in those areas?

Comment

Re: 60,000 new homes for Oahu by 2020

The article is kind of deceiving. I was kind of shocked when they said 4,656 new homes in Honolulu. I was like: where the heck are they going to build those? Nomo room! But then when you see the graphic, it’s obvious nearly all of them are condos or apartments.

Leave it to the Advertiser to sensationalize this story.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
            The article is kind of deceiving. I was kind of shocked when they said 4,656 new homes in Honolulu. I was like: where the heck are they going to build those? Nomo room! But then when you see the graphic, it’s obvious nearly all of them are condos or apartments.

How did you get condo's from that graph?

I see these being individual housing developments I believe.

Comment

Even if 90% of the proposed housing units were in multiple family buildings, you're still adding to the population. And with the increased population, you still need to have adequate infrastructure. Does everyone really want to turn the Ewa Plains into another downtown Honolulu with all those highrises?

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                How did you get condo's from that graph?

I see these being individual housing developments I believe.
                Wow, Mānoa. It’s like when you’re on hawaiithreads, you put on the stupid hat or something. Let’s go through this line by line:

15 Craigside - apartments
                909 Kapi‘olani - condos
                1700 Kalākaua - condos
                Allure Waikīkī - luxury condos
                Waikīkī Palms - hotel/condo

Need I go on? Don’t be such a moron, Mānoa. You really are beginning to irritate me. Read posts carefully before responding.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Wow, Mānoa. It’s like when you’re on hawaiithreads, you put on the stupid hat or something. Let’s go through this line by line:

909 Kapi‘olani - condos
                  1700 Kalākaua - condos

Need I go on? Don’t be such a moron, Mānoa. You really are beginning to irritate me. Read posts carefully before responding.
                  TuNnL I was specific to the graph and the article...

I'm not talking about outside sources...

You would have to do outside research...as you did... to figure that they were condos and or apartments.

I just looked at the graph and read what it said..."Homes." Home is where your heart is no matter whether it's a condo/apartment or a house.

And yes... I like putting on the "stupid hat" sometimes...that way it gets others to explain what they are talking about more thoroughly
                  And being called a moron by you is a compliment

Comment

909 Kapi‘olani - condos
                    1700 Kalākaua - condos

TunNL: you can't really count Craigside; that is a retirement living community so tenants will have to be at least 55 (I think that's the minimum age requirement for most of these senior apartments) to live there. But I'm glad there's more senior housing going up. 170 additional units is just a drop in the bucket compared to what's really needed, though.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      TunNL: you can't really count Craigside; that is a retirement living community so tenants will have to be at least 55 (I think that's the minimum age requirement for most of these senior apartments) to live there.
                      The Honolulu Advertiser counted it. Tell that to them.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

TuNnL go empty your mailbox so I can go yell at you in PM!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          You would have to do outside research...as you did... to figure that they were condos and or apartments.

I just looked at the graph and read what it said..."Homes."
                          Yes, Mānoa. That was my whole point. The Advertiser story was misleading. They said homes, but they weren’t really homes, they were condos and apartments. Now you’re getting it. Akamai, dis one.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Yes, Mānoa. That was my whole point. The Advertiser story was misleading. They said homes, but they weren’t really homes, they were condos and apartments. Now you’re getting it. Akamai, dis one.
                            How is it misleading????

Home is where the Heart is... I live in an apartment...and that is my Home?

Please tell me how it's misleading....

Do you live in your home? Isn't it an apartment...?

Yes, I had to put the stupid hat on for this one!

Comment

I consider my apartment my apartment. Period. One day, I would like to own a home. But with the cost of housing being what it is, that is unlikely, unless I change careers.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X