Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a business have a fire extinguisher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should a business have a fire extinguisher?

While reading a news article on the exploding laptop fires, I looked around my work place and I noticed that we don't have a fire extinguisher. Is it that important for us to have one, especially since we have a couple of computers? And if we do need one, where can I get one?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Should a business have a fire extinguisher?

Can I just say (excuse me...) F*CK, YES!!! Isn't it a bloody LAW?!?! And you need one that is rated for electrical fires, considering what you do in that shop.

I would think you could get one at any drug store or hardware store.

And if it isn't a law, you should have one there anyway; it's an inexpensive investment that could save lives and property.

Comment

Is this a serious question?
      Home Depot has commercial models for around $50.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
        Is this a serious question?
        I'm with you I thought it was a law in all 50 states.

FIRE SAFETY REGULATION
        Below are the fire precaution and workplace regulation requirements broken down by the fire protection program for which it relates.
        Note: By law, all workplace building structures must have, at minimum, fire/smoke alarms, emergency exits and lighting, and fire extinguishers.
        Last edited by blueyecicle; September 19, 2006, 12:52 PM.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

The fire dept. sometimes does spot checks. I got a knock on my office door one day and thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. There were 3 gorgeous guys...wanting to check the fire safety of my office. And, no, I didn't have a fire extinguisher but I do now, purchased from Costco.

They also told me to 'expose' the electrical box so they could find it in a hurry, should there be a fire. Nah...nah...nah...just the electrical box. Unfortunately! Anyway, it's in the middle of the wall in my studio; a wall covered in photos and an exposed elect. box just doesn't fit into the aesthetics of that wall. So, the firemen told me to put a sign by the large photo that covers the box, indicating that's the place to look!

They said they'd return to see how well I complied. That was over 2 years ago and I'm still awaiting another knock on my door from those admirable, hard working, pieces of eye candy!

Comment

Get a fire extinguisher rated "A-B-C" This is the most typical extinguisher you can buy as it will put out virtually all fires except for magnesium-related fires.

The "C" rating allows you to put out an electrical fire without being electrocuted. An "A" rated fire extinguisher is used only for paper non electrical fires as it uses water as it's retardant.

When using a fire extinguisher always stay roughly 5-7 feet away and aim at the leading base of the fire. Too close to a fire and the spray can blast the flaming debris or fluid onto you setting your body on fire. Always aim at the base and use sweeping motions. Remember the fire starts at the base so start there.

A good place to keep an extinguisher is at all fire exits. And if you're in a brick and morter business have a fire escape route planned and posted for all to see.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Yup, it's also a requirement in my office lease that my individual office (not just the building) have a fire extinguisher.

Comment

After reading this thread... I looked out at our common fire extinguisher that we would share between two upstairs units and just noticed the expiration date to be 2001

Better not have a fire tonight...and will make the call tomorrow.

Comment

You will need to get an extiguisher from a local fire extinguisher service supplier. The ones you buy in the store won't work. I have gotten cited so many times in the past I know the drill already. When HFD comes for an inspection they expect to see a tag on the extinguisher that has a date serviced tag. If you went to Costco (or where ever) and purchased all new extiguishers for your business you will be in for a big surprise when they inspect you. HFD will tell you that you will need to get all of them tagged. and in order for the service shops to give you a tag they need to certify all the extinguishers! which can run from $10 to 150 depending on what type. a 5ABC will cost you $10 to 20. but you will need 10ABC if you own a business.
                  I think the rule is Extiguisher at every exit and 30 or 40 feet.

So.....I have found it best to just call one of the fire ext. services and ask them to inspect your business and give you a quote. it was a lot cheaper than buying your own and then having to get it recertified! Last time they came in and installed 3 extiguishers with brackets for $150. The ext. were used but in "recertified" condition.

Comment

Speedtek's correct, when I used to work for the Gas Company, we were inspected once a year and had to make sure our inspection tags were up to date from a reputable fire extinguisher company.

Our company needed a list of all fire extinguishers with locations and each extinguisher had to be numbered (I think because of the sheer number of them we had) and all of our service vehicles had to have them as well. The main part of the inspection was if the extinguishers were charged (green zone) enough and they looked physically in shape and mounted properly on the wall with placards above them indicating their location.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                    X