The wonderful world of Haupia...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wonderful world of Haupia...

I've been attempting to create a decent batch. I tried two recipes, the Alohaworld.com recipe, and a family recipe. Neither which came to the consistancy I liked. The aloha world recipe came out runny and I could still taste the cornstarch. The second recipe called for boiling a mixture of water, coconut milk, and sugar, and then adding a mixture of cornstarch and water. 3 hours later, this batch is yet to firm. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I assume it has to do with the amount of time I am boiling the mixture or my ingredients. Amongst many differing opinions on making haupia, does anyone have a detailed recipe that could cure my woes?

Re: The wonderful world of Haupia...

My Alpha Female's recipe:

13.5 –14 ounce can of coconut milk (don’t use the “light” stuff – it won’t taste or set right)
    5 tablespoons sugar
    5 tablespoons cornstarch
    ¾ cup - 1 cup water
    (For chocolate haupia – add 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder)

Pour coconut milk in a covered saucepan and bring to a low boil on low heat, stirring occasionally. (Be careful – when it first starts boiling, coconut milk can bubble suddenly.) Combine sugar and cornstarch (and cocoa powder if making chocolate haupia) into a container with a spout. Add water to cornstarch and sugar, blending well, eliminating any lumps. Add cornstarch mixture to coconut milk (which is still on low heat on the stove), whisking constantly until mixture thickens to consistency of pudding. Pour into an 8x8 pan (for thinner layer of haupia) or 4x8 pan (loaf pan is good, for more cube-like haupia). Smooth the surface with spatula if you wish. Cool uncovered by either placing it immediately in refrigerator, or on countertop for ½ hour before putting into refrigerator. Chill for 2 hours, or until haupia is set. Cut into pieces and serve.

Comment

I would say to cook it more. My recipe comes from the 'Pupus to da Max' cookbook...I've loaned it out, but I'll go and get it this weekend.

Here's another cornstarch recipe for you, while you're waiting...

Spanish Hot Chocolate

Mix a heaping tablespoon of cornstarch with another of sugar and another of unsweetened cocoa in a pot. Gradually add four cups of milk, stirring all the while. Heat on medium heat, stirring and stirring and stirring, til it boils an bit and is thick and rich and GOOD!

I sometimes add a bar of dark chocolate or some cinnamon, too. Or ground almonds, or coffee, or mint...depending.

You can halve the milk (or double the other stuff) and make it extra thick, then put it in a jar in the fridge and just add more milk and shake it to drink it as a thick milkshake, or reheat it as an instant drink in the microwave or on the stove. Or eat it from the jar...it's like Jello chocolate pudding when it's thick.

This is what the Spaniards drink in the afternoon, they dunk a kind of sugared, deep-fried flour and water paste long doughnut thingy into the hot chocolate...called 'churros'. The churros are squeezed out into the boiling oil, from a canister with a handle to turn the giant star-shaped nozzle cookie-press, and are cut into pieces with giant scissors as the dough comes out.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

hey susie, do you miss Hawaii? Do you still have family here? When was the last time you came back for a visit?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
          hey susie, do you miss Hawaii? Do you still have family here? When was the last time you came back for a visit?
          Now I going cry!

Everybody but me is still in Hawaii...check the phone book for 'misajon'...I get 76 cousins, all over Hawaii and the mainland.

I can't leave France wid da kids (French divorce stinks). But, but, but...can maybe send the kids, one by one, to visit the Aina. Just waiting for the paperwork to come through.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
            Now I going cry!

Everybody but me is still in Hawaii...check the phone book for 'misajon'...I get 76 cousins, all over Hawaii and the mainland.

I can't leave France wid da kids (French divorce stinks). But, but, but...can maybe send the kids, one by one, to visit the Aina. Just waiting for the paperwork to come through.
            I understand now Susie....

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Is hard, das why. Tanks for da aloha.

Comment

I am sorry Susie. How old are your keiki, may I ask? And how long have you lived in France? Are you doing ok?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                  I am sorry Susie. How old are your keiki, may I ask? And how long have you lived in France? Are you doing ok?
                  I can see that I'll have to restart the 'life in France' thread, to Manoa's chagrin....(smiling)(nicely)...

Otherwise, we going get the slipper for thread hijack. Meet you over there, den..

Comment

Originally posted by burnt_bean
                    I've been attempting to create a decent batch. I tried two recipes, the Alohaworld.com recipe, and a family recipe. Neither which came to the consistancy I liked. The aloha world recipe came out runny and I could still taste the cornstarch. The second recipe called for boiling a mixture of water, coconut milk, and sugar, and then adding a mixture of cornstarch and water. 3 hours later, this batch is yet to firm. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I assume it has to do with the amount of time I am boiling the mixture or my ingredients. Amongst many differing opinions on making haupia, does anyone have a detailed recipe that could cure my woes?
                    Definitely don't use light coconut milk in cans! Whenever I make haupia, I do use the Alohaworld recipe, but I use coconut cream instead of coconut milk and cook the mixture until it gets pretty stiff (to cook out the taste of the cornstarch). Coconut cream is definitely thicker and richer than coconut milk. I use the canned stuff from Thailand.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

just dug it up.

Thank you everyone for allowing me to derail it for a bit.

As for how I make my haupia: I keep it over the fire and keep stirring nonstop until its thick enough. There are no two ways about it; it needs to boil down.

aloha, P

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                        My Alpha Female's recipe:

13.5 –14 ounce can of coconut milk (don’t use the “light” stuff – it won’t taste or set right)
                        5 tablespoons sugar
                        5 tablespoons cornstarch
                        ¾ cup - 1 cup water
                        (For chocolate haupia – add 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder)

Pour coconut milk in a covered saucepan and bring to a low boil on low heat, stirring occasionally. (Be careful – when it first starts boiling, coconut milk can bubble suddenly.) Combine sugar and cornstarch (and cocoa powder if making chocolate haupia) into a container with a spout. Add water to cornstarch and sugar, blending well, eliminating any lumps. Add cornstarch mixture to coconut milk (which is still on low heat on the stove), whisking constantly until mixture thickens to consistency of pudding. Pour into an 8x8 pan (for thinner layer of haupia) or 4x8 pan (loaf pan is good, for more cube-like haupia). Smooth the surface with spatula if you wish. Cool uncovered by either placing it immediately in refrigerator, or on countertop for ½ hour before putting into refrigerator. Chill for 2 hours, or until haupia is set. Cut into pieces and serve.
                        thanks mucho leo... it worked out great...

Comment

Chocolate haupia?! Why not...I have a bottle of liquid soap for the kids that's chocolate-coconut.

How about throwing in some pinapple and a splash of booze? What was the name of that cocktail?

I used to make a jelly-roll cake and spread it with raspbery jam and haupia before rolling it back up.

How about layering it in glasses with chocolate pudding...Hawaiian-zebra dessert?

Comment

i apparently didnt let it stiffen enough, now i have hapia pudding in my fridge =(
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                              i apparently didnt let it stiffen enough, now i have hapia pudding in my fridge =(
                              Failed experiment = entire runny (but tasty) treat all for YOU (you wouldn't want anyone else to suffer, would you?)
                              Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                              Chocolate haupia?! Why not...How about throwing in some pinapple and a splash of booze? What was the name of that cocktail?
                              We've seen people do that - pina colada haupia. The chocolate version has been a huge hit around here; we usually make both with and without chocolate, cube 'em and plate 'em like a checkerboard.

burnt_bean: I'm glad the recipe worked; I'll tell the AF. (I told her; she replied "woo-hoo!")
                              Last edited by Leo Lakio; September 21, 2006, 08:40 AM. Reason: AF speaks

Comment

Working...
                              X