Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on going on my first car shopping trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on going on my first car shopping trip?

This weekend, I'm going on my first car shopping trip, to look at potential cars on my list.

I know that it won't be the same as walking into Walmart or Compusa, and I already read part of this, which details the story of a car salesman. So, is there any last minute advice? Anyone want to tag along? (I'm just looking and hopefully I can narrow the list down to atleast 3, then I'll see how much I can save)

(and no, I won't buy a car for my bday, nor I'm expecting one. The purchase will be more towards November/December if I save that much.)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Any tips on going on my first car shopping trip?

I've bought two cars on my own in my life. The first time I got toasted really
    bad. I should've went through Ford Credit when I bought the car orginally.
    but instead I went through the bank and paid through the nose at 7.75%
    interest rate.

The second time around, when I bought my truck, I went through Ford Credit and got a lower interest rate of 6%. My payments are lower than when
    I bought my first car (253.47 versus 299.00).

Anyway, I suggest you put a big down payment. On my truck, I put 2,000
    down. It helps reduce your monthly payments.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Always walk away. I LOVE car shopping I talked the guy down from 10,000 to 5,900 on my minivan! I love haggling....too much fun...
      I also use my own credit union or join for 5.00 so I can research my own rates first! I have 3% financing on mine. Not bad if you look around.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Holey moley, Adrian. If Blue can haggle that good and save that much money you might wanna consider flying her over to tag along with you! Her airfare would be greatly offset by a huge savings!

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
          This weekend, I'm going on my first car shopping trip, to look at potential cars on my list.

I know that it won't be the same as walking into Walmart or Compusa, and I already read part of this, which details the story of a car salesman. So, is there any last minute advice? Anyone want to tag along? (I'm just looking and hopefully I can narrow the list down to atleast 3, then I'll see how much I can save)

(and no, I won't buy a car for my bday, nor I'm expecting one. The purchase will be more towards November/December if I save that much.)
          I'd tag-along with you as a "third-base-man" if I could, but I'll be out-of-town the next two weekends. Just ignore the salesman's "What can I do to earn your business today" pitch - that one reeks of insincerity and to me is like fingernails raking across a chalkboard.

You gotta be strong to get off the lot without buying right away - those guys are trained to get you to make small commitments which eventually get you in trouble.

Oh, and don't fill out and sign the credit app, not even a short five-liner, even if you have your own financing. Sign it and they'll run a credit check on you and have the financing papers all ready for your signature!

There are a lot of things to consider about prices, trades, financing, dealer add-ons, extended warranty, etc. which you are probably NOT prepared to decide on without taking time-out to step back.

Comment

OceanPacific is correct. I did a stint at selling new and used cars many years back (yep, a Detroit GIRL selling cars!).

Anyhow, the best way to "get outta' there" if you need time to think about a prospective buy, is to make the salesman believe you need to make a decision about "another car" you also spotted. You will "get back" to him. Period. Walk away, and ponder it.

Also, if you already have a car, they will never give you the "actual trade-in value". What they will do, is lead you to believe you're getting a "great trade in value". (what is reallly going on there, is a price knock down on the car you want to buy, which, if negotiated correctly, you could have gotten anyway, it has nothing to do with your trade-in!)What you need to do, if possible, is to sell your current car yourself, for cash .

Good luck in the shark tank, I hope this helps

Comment

I usually find out the dealer price of the car and use that to negoatiate. It might take 4-5 hours but if you can save a few thousand...
              I've also heard that you shouldnt go to a 'friend of a friend' cuz you might not negotiate as hard knowing hes a friend of a friend.
              Be aware that theyll do a bad-cop/good-cop thing, switch with their 'manager' when they cant get anywhere with you.
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hope
                OceanPacific is correct. I did a stint at selling new and used cars many years back (yep, a Detroit GIRL selling cars!).

Anyhow, the best way to "get outta' there" if you need time to think about a prospective buy, is to make the salesman believe you need to make a decision about "another car" you also spotted. You will "get back" to him. Period. Walk away, and ponder it.

Also, if you already have a car, they will never give you the "actual trade-in value". What they will do, is lead you to believe you're getting a "great trade in value". (what is reallly going on there, is a price knock down on the car you want to buy, which, if negotiated correctly, you could have gotten anyway, it has nothing to do with your trade-in!)What you need to do, if possible, is to sell your current car yourself, for cash .

Good luck in the shark tank, I hope this helps

Or make them believe that the old car is sentimental to you and you're not trading it in. Then after you've haggled use the old "Well... would it benefit me if i trade it in too?"

But definitely, go test drive all the cars on your list... and let them know you're test driving other cars. Make'em sit and wait. They're eager to make a sale and the more hesitant you appear, the more likely they will give you a deal.

With regard to the credit issue. Go to your bank and see if they will finance you for a car loan. Some banks will, some won't. But you'll have that rate handy to feed to the dealership when they offer you a rate. From what I understand, (at least around here) financiers at the dealerships will apply you for credit and the places that will least likely give you a loan and keep trying different places that they know won't get you one just to put hits on your credit. That way when they DO get to the creditor that they want to use, It's driven your rate up. I've had a dealership try to fake me on this and when they offered me the high rate I turned around and told them that "My bank will give me this rate (the lower rate)" They were quick to bring the rate down a bit lower to have me use their credit agency.

Oh and most importantly. Have fun! Enjoy test driving those cars and DON'T be afraid to take them through their paces. Afterall... you want to be sure they'll do what you want them to do when you need it right? Don't be tentative just cause the guy/gal is in the car with ya.

One more thing I just thought of. If your trade in is in decent shape. Have it detailed. It'll net you more of a trade in.
                -kp!

Comment

I know that it won't be the same as walking into Walmart or Compusa, and I already read part of this, which details the story of a car salesman. So, is there any last minute advice?
                  Here's another site that's worth visiting before shopping for a vehicle....
                  http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

A lot of great suggestions here, Adrian. Let me reiterate ones that I've experienced in having bought used (many times) and brand-new (twice):

DO YOUR HOMEWORK in advance. Know the value of the cars you're looking at BEFORE you set foot on any lot (you're net-savvy, you'll have no problems finding info.) Dealers have a lot of tools to make the sale, and you need to have plenty of armor on your side. Reputable dealers will be happy to negotiate a fair deal with a knowledgeable buyer, but they can smell an ill-informed sucker from miles away.

DON'T even plan to buy anything on your first visits to the lots, and don't hesitate to tell the sales people that you are NOT buying today. You are gathering information, comparing cars, even test-driving some - but NOT buying today. Be firm about this.

TEST-DRIVE as much as you like; this is a big investment. And if you are buying used, take any car you seriously considering buying to your mechanic - they will find things that you would never discover (such as if the car has been rebuilt after damage.) Don't do this with every car, as you will need to pay your mechanic for the service - but it can save you thousands of dollars and prevent you from buying a lemon.

Get your financing set up IN ADVANCE through your bank or credit union. That way, without any pressure from car dealers, you will know exactly how much car you can realistically afford, and won't get into something beyond your means. They will also be likely to give you the best deal for financing, and will answer questions honestly, since they aren't trying to sell you a car.

If a dealer says "What do I have to do to get you to buy a car today?," tell them, "Say anything BUT that line," turn around and walk off the lot. Just leave, and do not return under any circumstances. Only disreputable, desperate or inexperienced sales people resort to that old pressure tactic, and these are people you do NOT want to hand your money to. I am deadly serious about this.

Good luck!

Comment

Okay, it looks like I have a lot more things to do.

Of course I won't sign anything, nor do any test drives (the story is, that they'll copy your license and while you're driving the car, they'll run a credit check on you). But now, I have butterflies in my stomach, because I'm an impulsive buyer.

Maybe I can turn this around and make a sale for clearwire by bringing a unit with me... (wireless broadband running from my car to research other cars )

Comment

nor do any test drives (the story is, that they'll copy your license and while you're driving the car, they'll run a credit check on you).
                        WTF? Don't give them your license, and they can't copy it. Why would you hand over your license to do a test-drive; you need that license while you're operating a motor vehicle? Any dealer who pulls that kind of sh!t - you get as far away from as possible. Most dealers are likely to just ride along with you on your test-drive, and the best ones will shut up while you drive - and only be there to answer questions you may pose.
                        And NEVER EVER EVER consider buying a car without test-driving it. NEVER. (Did I already say, "never"?)

Comment

Of course I won't sign anything, nor do any test drives (the story is, that they'll copy your license and while you're driving the car, they'll run a credit check on you). But now, I have butterflies in my stomach, because I'm an impulsive buyer.

Maybe I can turn this around and make a sale for clearwire by bringing a unit with me... (wireless broadband running from my car to research other cars )

From what i recall, they need your SS# to do a credit check. Absolutely test drive! That's probably the most important thing. You're buying a car to go from point a to point b but you want it to be comfortable too. A car may look nice but may drive like a piece of crud.
                          -kp!

Comment

Couple of other things: if you're buying a used car, take along someone who's mechanically savvy. Also, once you've settled on the car, go to carfax, put in the VIN and find out if the car has been in any accidents or is from out of state (like you wouldn't want a car that was salvaged from Hurricane Katrina). In Hawai'i, you're protected by a "Lemon Law" that does cover used cars, so make sure you're familiar with what it says.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              Couple of other things: if you're buying a used car, take along someone who's mechanically savvy. Also, once you've settled on the car, go to carfax, put in the VIN and find out if the car has been in any accidents or is from out of state (like you wouldn't want a car that was salvaged from Hurricane Katrina). In Hawai'i, you're protected by a "Lemon Law" that does cover used cars, so make sure you're familiar with what it says.
                              I'll bring my mobile equipment to do a carfax report onsite.

Comment

Working...
                              X