Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use to record your TV programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use to record your TV programs?

While reading some the posts in this sub-forum various people make mention of recording TV programs to be viewed at a later time.

The focus of this thread and the poll that goes with it is what do you use to record your TV progams on? The poll is set for multiple choices so if you use more than one way to do it the poll will handle it.

For me I am still using a VHS VCR, I think I am on my 3rd or 4th unit by now, it works great for when I want to watch programs when I am not home at the time it airs. However due to the digital cable setup I got I can't use the VCR to record one program while I am watching a program on another channel at the same time, but that kind of instances has been kind of rare.
    Betamax VCR
    0.00%
    VHS VCR
    26.32%
    DVD
    15.79%
    DVR (from Oceanic or other cable TV companies)
    21.05%
    TiVo
    0.00%
    Using a PC or Macintosh computer
    10.53%
    Combo units (DVD/VHS in one unit)
    15.79%
    Other
    5.26%
    Don't record TV programs
    5.26%
    No Opinion
    0.00%

Re: What do you use to record your TV programs?

Computer 99% on the comp! I don't even know if I have a VCR anymore..I think the kids have one.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

My kids use the DVR from Oceanic (I didn't even know we ordered it). I use a dual-deck DVD/VHS and a VHS VCR.

I'm more inclined to use the DVD - the discs are cheaper than the VHS tapes. Similar to CD-R discs being less expensive than audio cassette tapes.

Comment

BitTorrent.

Comment

Ever since I got a DVR...

I've been hooked on it.

Comment

I've been meaning to build a PVR box. Is snapstream still free and good?
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I really should by a DVD recorder, but haven't yet.

Currently I record programs to either VHS tapes or use my Neuros Recorder 2 analog to digital device.

The Recorder 2 is a nice little gizmo I read about a few months ago on the EFF website, investigated it and bought one from Amazon.com for $129. The thing is small and allows you to record from various video sources include over the air or cable TV, your VCR or DVD player. It uses the devices analog outputs for video/audio and converts those signals to digital. You store the digital files on either compact flash card or Sony memory stick, and then of course you can transfer the files to your Mac or PC for further processing if needed.

The device allows you record at various screen sizes, 320 x 240, 176 x 120, 640 x 480 pixels in various quality modes. The higher your pixel size and quality mode, the more space your digital files take up. For most of the recordings I made with this device, I save them at 320 x 240, which allows me to watch em on my computer in iTunes or just using the Quicktime player. I am banking several of my favorite programs to my Mac for the time when I eventually buy a Video iPod... I will then move some of the files to that device.

All of the files are recorded as MPEG 4 which I think is the same as AAC, but without any DRM.

The beauty of the device is that it allows you to record DRM encoded DVDs and VHS tapes to a digital format that you can move to your computer, iPod, Playstation Portable or any other handheld device that allows for video playback.

While the Neuros is a handy little device to have around, using its remote controlled interface is not very intuiative. Everything is accessed through the remote (so don't lose it because there are no controls on the device itself) and the results are displayed on your TV screen. It takes several steps to switch from one video resolution to another, and even a few steps more than necessary to record a program.

One thing I noticed is that after 2 hours of recording, the buffer or something fills up and the Neuros stops and sets up a new file to continue the recording if you have space on the card you are recording to.

Like for instance I recorded my Star Wars IV DVD.... the Neuros recorded the entire show but beyond the 2 hour limit, part of the closing credits were chopped off and restarted on another file. The same happened when I recorded the ABC TV mini-series about 9-11. The first night's show got chopped.

For shorter programs, this device is great. I recorded the entire 1953 version of War of the Worlds onto one file, and now I can watch it on my G4 tower or iBook laptop. The device is great for ripping short segments of TV shows and music videos. And since you can vary the pixel size it makes for a great way to move programs off your computer and onto a video file sharing place such as youtube.com (of course keep in mind to that site's 10 minute limit per video file).

In all I am satisfied with the Neuros Recorder for what it can do. Maybe perhaps this device has delayed my purchase of a full fledged DVD recorder. Haven't decided yet.

Here is a link to another review of the Neuros Recorder 2:

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12448

Before I read the first post I answered the poll with "other" and did not know it allowed for multiple choice. I would have also chosen VHS tape since that is what I also use too.... however once you hit that submit button for the poll, the darn thing doesn't allow you to go back and choose again even for a multiple choice poll.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I use a DVD recorder to record shows in standard definition. For HD shows, I use a DVR.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Working...
                X