This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over/Under: Voter Turnout in Primary 2006

I'm setting the over/under on turnout of registered voters in Hawaii at forty percent. Which will you take?
    Less than 40 percent.
    44.44%
    More than 40 percent.
    55.56%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by scrivener; September 22, 2006, 04:43 PM. Reason: "the first cut is the deepest..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Over/Under: Voter Turnout in Primary 2006

Maybe some historical data to help make a more educated guess? And by what standard? Percent of registered or percent of eligible voters?

Here's some collected comments on Hawaii's low voter turnout. It notes for 2004: "Hawaii Office of Elections figured turnout as the percentage of registered voters who voted. In that check, Hawaii looked much better with 58.4 percent." That versus "eligible," which gave us 48.6 percent.

Erp. Nevermind. I see the poll specifies "registered."

It's said that we have the lowest voter turnout in the nation. However, our very rubbery voter registration rules kind of make it that way, since you can be listed as a registered voter for years even if you stopped voting, left the islands, or died, or whatever.

I think it'll also be interesting to guess how many votes, total, came in absentee. They're saying over 100,000. That could be more than a third of all votes!
    Last edited by pzarquon; September 22, 2006, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Well. One thing I DID do correctly was word it: percentage of registered voters.
      Last edited by scrivener; September 22, 2006, 04:37 PM. Reason: "runnin' on empty; runnin' wild..."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Poll fixed!

I'm wondering... was that 58 percent figure cited for 2004 from the primary, general, or overall?

Well, if we did 58 percent in the primary two years ago, I expect that we'll do at least as well, if not better, in this especially exciting primary. I mean, even if turnout dropped ten percent, it would beat your 40 percent over/under. So I voted over.

Comment

In a non-presidential year? I'd be shocked it if was very much over fifty.
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Many UH Football fans may opt out to watch a Big Game ...and the first one of the year that's actually on LIVE Free TV

(And don't forget BJ Penn Fights on PPV tomorrow to )

Comment

If it comes to at 41% that's still over the 40% turnout. Does this include the absentee count and those who voted early or just the turn out on Saturday is what you are asking for?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                Many UH Football fans may opt out to watch a Big Game ...
                That's what early voting is for. And the game doesn't start until 2 p.m. so people can also vote before kickoff if they wanted to. More than enough time to cast a ballot and get back to tailgating.

Comment

Total percentage of ballots cast.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                    That's what early voting is for. And the game doesn't start until 2 p.m. so people can also vote before kickoff if they wanted to. More than enough time to cast a ballot and get back to tailgating.
                    Maybe thats the primary reason there was such a high early turn out...?

Comment

It's real easy to register and vote early in Hilo, where the elections office has 5000 sf of prime retail space at the Hilo Mall.

Subtle, yeah, how Kona get's the shaft.

I'm sure the Elections Commissioner is proud of his "honorable" service.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Maybe thats the primary reason there was such a high early turn out...?
                        "Primary" reason? Manoa - ever the joker...

Comment

I think voter turnout will be a little better than the last primary, though I think it may taper off once that UH football game starts... it could pick up again around 4 if UH is like hopelessly behind and people give up on the game....
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Notes Ian Lind:
                            Overall, turnout was still only 42.2 percent of registered voters. Nearly three out of five registered voters didn't bother to cast a vote, even with the extended voting period now offered by the walk-in absentee system, which ended up accounting for about 37 percent of all votes cast.
                            Lower than I thought, but it beat the 40 percent over/under. Congrats to helen, mel, Miulang, and timkona for their optimism!

Comment

Many UH Football fans may opt out to watch a Big Game ...and the first one of the year that's actually on LIVE Free TV

(And don't forget BJ Penn Fights on PPV tomorrow to )
                              Admit it---you're just lazy. It's not about the "free choice" you blathered about earlier, unless the choices were between civic responsibility and laziness.

Gee, I managed to bring my dog in for surgery, help move the washer and dryer from the carport into the newly-tiled (by me and my husband) laundry room, do a bit of grocery shopping, pick the dog up from surgery, and still spend a grand total of perhaps twenty minutes casting my vote, including the ride to and from the polling place.

I'm sure I could have managed to host a football party in my living room, too, if I had cared to. And I'm probably twice your age.

Guess I'm just better at multi-tasking.

Comment

Working...
                              X