Teach your children well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach your children well...

I'm continuing the topic here about teaching a child how to share.

Manoa, you can't expect to teach a child manners in a few hours. Especially, one of a different cultural background. However, what happened when the child tossed your son's truck on the side...I would have made him put the truck back up. I would tenderly scold the Boy and tell him it is wrong to do that. I'm sure his parents would have agreed.

Children no matter what ethic background ~ are precious children. They learn from us. We, as Adults have to be patient and take the time to teach them.

They are our Future.

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 24, 2006, 09:43 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Grandparents Raising Grandkids

Thank you for your advice auntie....

How would you have made this child put the tractor back up.... I tried for a second!

However, this child would not get off my sons tractor...and I don't believe it is in my perogative EVER to touch another child.... when I tried to explain to parent/guardian of this child that my son wanted his tractor back...they turned to me and acted like I was the bad person for coming to them and asking them to help get their child off my childs toy.

I would be kind of p.o.ed if a total stranger tried to discipline my child w/out me being present.

Comment

Re: Teach your children well...

I think it may be just a hair easier for moms too, When a man comes to my child and says something they would look at them like who are you???

But when they have another mom come up it's another story. They smile and cooperate.

When I have to talk to children they giggle I have an advantage! Manoa..I highly suggest dying your hair pink...or dressing like a clown ...j/k I am j/k
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I would be kind of p.o.ed if a total stranger tried to discipline my child w/out me being present.

You prolly a good Dad Manoa, so your child is well behaved.

I have no problem whatsoever scolding other children when I catch them doing the wrong thing. Children have a basic & essential need for being reminded of what the limits are, especially when certain parents fail to draw the line. In fact, they crave it. And they will shower the "enforcer" with copious amounts of love as a result. I speak from experience, as a volunteer reading tutor, football coach, "Uncle", and Daddy.

It takes a village to raise good children.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I have to agree with Tim Kona here. At my kids' school, I'm a "mom" with presence. I'm not on staff, I'm on the board, and I come across as a caring and loving individual. So when I see some big kids goofing off or up to no good or picking on someone, I call them on it. It stuns them. And then they wrap up the bad behavior. I am certain it resumes when I move on, but I'm just trying to get my point across that I know I'm not their mom, but I expect them to behave well because we're all part of a society, our school.

Do any of you remember when I took yearbook photos of our school and I got a photo of the JPO group and one of the boys was flipping me off? I wrote a column about it. I reported it to the principal because I didn't want that kid thinking he could go through life being an a**hole, and if he pursued such behavior he could kiss his future goodbye as there won't be any scholarships, good report cards, or good references for a decent job in the future. The time to shape children is now. And if parents fail to act, they are truly letting their children down.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Here lies the problem....

These kids did not speak english! Me disciplining them would have served no point if they didn't understand what I was saying. (This thread was continued from a different thread where I mentioned that the kids didn't speak englisth)

I don't have a problem with coaches, teachers, school figures... etc disciplining my child...these are people that I have entrusted previously the well being of my child. But if a stranger were to attempt to tell my child what to do... that's when I have a problem with it.

Yeah I could have scolded and/or disciplined their children... however, the childs parents were present and it should have been their responsibility to teach there own child the rights and wrongs of playground ettiquette and not me.

Comment

I don't mind at all when strangers tell my kids off...or pull their ears for that matter. I love it that the grannies in this town will correct a kid and then tell on them. It keeps my kids straight and helps them find a community base.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree there is a lack of responsability in some parents and it ruins it for others.
                I for one would be very angry if someone disciplined my child but then again I am right by my kids and if they do something wrong I step in right away.

When I just had my first baby a woman walked up to me and said " I know it is none of my business but when you turn around your (step)son is hitting the baby" I was so grateful she kindly mentioned it to me and I immediately corrected the problem. I always welcome oter parents to kindly tell me if I miss something.

But if she would have spoken another language and tried to convey it I can only imagine how frustrated and HELPLESS she would have felt. There is almost nothing you can do except do the best you can and be patient.

Manoa is it possible to take a small cover like a car cover and take it with you in the trunk of the tarctor or somewhere and when your son plays cover it like a motorcycle or car maybe? Just a silly suggestion. I would not want kids playing on my kids toys...I am so germaphobic and you don't know what they could pass on...But I do insist my children share with each other and if they are so inclined with others. My boys never hit or bite or push...when a child comes up to take a toy away they just look and say "OK it's your turn". I have never had a problem with them sharing.

But big toy to me is a little different. I don't let a stranger come up to me and share my car!...so if it is valuable or inappropriate I keep the toys at hand. There is no obligation to let them ride my boys bikes and scooters. I just tell the kids no so my boys don't have to. But then once again...they speak the same language!

Comment

I am everybody's auntie. No child is off limits to my love and correction and I don't think twice if I see an otherwise-uncorrected wrong going down. That's aloha.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                    I am everybody's auntie. No child is off limits to my love and correction and I don't think twice if I see an otherwise-uncorrected wrong going down. That's aloha.
                    That's the key * otherwise-uncorrected *....

Comment

I guess I have the disciplinarian voice of a drill sergeant so when children act up I get them to behave real fast. It comes with the territory I guess after raising six boys, and they all listen including my 2-1/2 year old toddler. Their responses have always been, "yes Daddy". End of Story.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Here kind of a funny lesson...

Watch what your children are doing on the internet:
                        Jack Neal briefly became the proud owner of a pink convertible car after he managed to buy it for 9,000 pounds ($17,000) on the Internet despite being only three years old.
                        http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060926/...NlYwNtZW5ld3M-

Comment

Working...
                        X