Gnarls Barkley: "Crazy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gnarls Barkley: "Crazy"

If any of you music lovers haven't yet heard this nearly ubiquitous song, I encourage you to check it out. Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" is one of the best dang pop songs I've heard in ages. It manages to be soulful, danceable, and pretty all at once in a way I haven't heard on mainstream radio for some time. This is the song of the year.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Gnarls Barkley: "Crazy"

Is that crazy, as in, "Crazy for cryin' and crazy for dyin' and crazy for luvin' you", Patsy Kline kine remake?
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

No, it's a new song. Samples some other song I don't know, but the lyrics are original. Check it.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

This song, while it is catchy and I dug it when it came out a few months ago, drives me absolutely batsheeeee-it insane only because I'm tired of hearing over and over and over again...

This new collaboration known as Gnarls Barkley is pure genius. I was used to Cee-Lo with the Goodie Mob and loved Danger Mouse's remixes. DM mixed Jay-Z's The Black Album with The Beatles' The White Album to form The Grey Album. A lot of the Beatles' purists cried foul, but I absolutely loved it.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Don't forget Danger Mouse's excellent project with MF Doom, DangerDoom. Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse have done great work all over the place, but THIS song is a pop masterpiece. Pop music is usually crap. This is beautiful.
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

This song is really cool-I did like it from the 1st time I heard it
            Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

This has been bouncing around for a few months now.

It has been a staple in the mashup world. For something different, click the below link to see what happens when you mash Supertramp and The Who to this catchy beat.

http://artyfufkin.com/?p=30

...........and follow the directions
              You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

I'm not a rap or a remix/sample kind of music fan. However after hearing "Crazy" a few months ago, and seeing the CD selling for only $9.99 back then, I bought it. The song is very good and I play it all the time. It's in my 2 iPods on high rotation. I also like the remake of the Violent Femmes' "Gone Daddy Gone." Today the CD is selling for the normal $14.99.... I guess it is a hit.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It is good and it is creative, but I predict it will soon follow Outkast's "Hey Ya!" onto the pile of "wow that song was amazingly cool and different when it first came out but I am sick of hearing it for the four-thousandth time now" tunes. I think we're looking at another contribution to a future "one-hit wonder" compilation, as well as a spate of imitators.

Not denigrating the song itself, but I'm already very tired of it.

Comment

I'm with you, Leo. Except, of course, that as Nachodaddy notes, this song was the big, cool thing a few months ago, and would seem to be long past its day in the sun... but will nonetheless be rediscovered periodically, and will (like "Hey Ya!" -- which even I admit to seeking out!) surface reliably going forward, if even in a campy way.

But wait! It might turn out to be somewhat more than a flash in the pan... for better or worse.

Gnarls Barkley, Driving You 'Crazy'
                    This is "Crazy": Gnarls Barkley's soulful single, summer's inescapable anthem to incipient madness, has been covered by Nelly Furtado. And Billy Idol. And the Roots. And the Raconteurs, who might well do it Saturday at the all-day Virgin Festival at Pimlico Race Course, where Gnarls Barkley will certainly perform it. "Crazy" has also been covered by folk-soulman Ray LaMontagne, power-popster Butch Walker, indie-pop duo Mates of State, Greg Dulli's side project the Twilight Singers and Bryan Adams (Bryan Adams?). The list goes on, and it keeps growing. Even Paris Hilton has threatened a version, proving the perils of ubiquity.
                    So Lei? Be afraid. Be very afraid!

Actually, though, the above is a pretty good article, explaining for example the irony in a Danger Mouse project suddenly topping every chart in every country on the planet. And while I'm very tired of 'Crazy,' I gotta be glad for him. The Grey Album was genius.

Comment

Good song I like the simple vocals.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

I liked the song, the video is even crazier
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=86C4RNuAj6A
                        I dont know the rules, but I bet embedding is not allowed right?
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                          Don't forget Danger Mouse's excellent project with MF Doom, DangerDoom. Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse have done great work all over the place, but THIS song is a pop masterpiece. Pop music is usually crap. This is beautiful.
                          you guys ever hear of 'handsome boy modelling school' or 'lovage'?

Lovage is a co-lab of Dan the Automator, Mike Patton, Jennifer Charles, and Kid Koala. They have some crazy stuff.
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            I think we're looking at another contribution to a future "one-hit wonder" compilation, as well as a spate of imitators.
                            GB isn't a one-hit wonder. Neither is Outkast. And both are unique enough where it's just too hard to imitate their sound.

I haven't seen anything like "Hey Ya!" since it came out. Haven't seen anything else like "Crazy" since it came out, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                              I haven't seen anything like "Hey Ya!" since it came out. Haven't seen anything else like "Crazy" since it came out, either.
                              The comparison's a good one -- I think they're both among the best things I've heard on pop radio in ages and ages and ages. I bought Speakerboxxx / The Love Below and will probably buy St. Elsewhere eventually. They're both genius, and I agree with Palolo Joe: I've yet to hear anything like either song since. Also, "sick of it" in no way takes away from how doggone GOOD these songs are! They are just excellent, excellent songs, whether you're sick of them or not! Rather than the one-hit-wonder compilations, I think these songs will age amazingly well; when we forget about how ubiquitous the songs were, we'll give them another listen in ten or fifteen years and be impressed with our excellent taste, way, way back in the summer of 2006.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X